Star Wars 'Eve

I'm waiting until nerdmania dies down. Seeing grown-*** adults in homemade costumes carrying plastic swords gives me those uncomfortable chills. Which double when the movie title comes on the screen and a packed house of nerds all start to cheer. Yeah, um, not quite my scene. By January, everyone will have forgotten that the movie is out, and then it'll be safe to see it with only about five people in the theater, just like the last two films.

Really? All the reviews I have seen have been pretty positive. It is also 93% Certified Fresh on the Tomato Meter. The only knock I've seen is that it's a bit long, as in really long (152 minutes). I hear it's epic though.
Yes, well that 93% "certified" fresh is coming from those who are paid to review films. Payola will get even the most pathetic filmmaker a decent review. Audiences weren't quite that generous, with only 56% approval. That means literally half the people who went to see this film didn't care for it.

We will be going NYE weekend. We are having movie nights and we started from the beginning.

I don't want to start a controversary here, but my youngest daughter never saw the first 3 movies from the late 70's. She just finished The Empire Returns and she stated how much The Harry Potter movies are very similar in an "outline" to Star Wars. We had a good discussion, how we both really thought J.K. Rowling was a genius and had such a vivid imagination. And we realized how Harry Potter was just like Luke Skywalker. They had to learn to use their powers, Harry had a wand, Luke had a light Sabre. 2-close friends-a guy and a girl. Both girls were strong and vulnerable. The guy friend, was goofy, laid back, yet loyal. Harry and Luke both had various teachers, helping and teaching them their powers.

Are we wrong, we found many more similarities, it was sort of shocking to me, since I had not watched the movies in a very long time. We have watched Harry Potter movies many times and never thought like this, until we started our Star Wars marathon.

Yes, well that 93% "certified" fresh is coming from those who are paid to review films. Payola will get even the most pathetic filmmaker a decent review. Audiences weren't quite that generous, with only 56% approval. That means literally half the people who went to see this film didn't care for it.
I guess you can add me in that 44%. I won't say anything else for now.

The movie is fantastic. Seen it on the fantasy Thursday night. I will be watching it again using my movie pass.

Well, to be fair, I posted that before the movie came out and there no audience score. I was suprised because the poster said the reviews they had read were bad, but most of the ones I had seen at the time were good.

Also, I do not believe critics are bought off. If that were the case, every big budget movie would get glowing reviews. Do critics look for something different in films than your average movie goer? Absolutely. The idea that they are paid by the movie companies doesn't hold water. If anything, studios would create fake user accounts and post positive things. I am pretty sure they do this for YouTube trailers to generate buzz.

One more thing, I don't get what the hate is all about. I thought it was a pretty great movie, though maybe not one of the best Star Wars movies (not the worst though either).

Well, to be fair, I posted that before the movie came out and there no audience score. I was suprised because the poster said the reviews they had read were bad, but most of the ones I had seen at the time were good.

Also, I do not believe critics are bought off. If that were the case, every big budget movie would get glowing reviews. Do critics look for something different in films than your average movie goer? Absolutely. The idea that they are paid by the movie companies doesn't hold water. If anything, studios would create fake user accounts and post positive things. I am pretty sure they do this for YouTube trailers to generate buzz.

One more thing, I don't get what the hate is all about. I thought it was a pretty great movie, though maybe not one of the best Star Wars movies (not the worst though either).

Wait, so audiences are, for the most part, split on loving it and trashing it, and critics seem to unanimously love it, and you don't think they are being bought off? Between Disney and Lucas, no gift baskets, memorabilia, or trips involved? Seriously??

For me? I grew up on the films. Bought all the toys, saw Empire Strikes Back tons of times in the theater. Original trilogy was pretty decent. Then came the prequels. I despised the first one so much that I completely skipped the second film in the theater. If you told me 20 years ago that I wouldn't be seeing a Star Wars film in the theater, I'd have told you that you were crazy. Then I broke down and watched it on video. Trash. I mean seriously... a picnic in the middle of a Star Wars movie???? Whatever. Third film wasn't terrible, but not great.

Then however meany years alter, we have these new films. First, I cannot forgive Disney for turning this film into the damn United Nations. I get it... they feel the need to diversify. But really, it's like they took the globe and picked out one character from each country. And then threw in random female characters here and there too. Second, the seventh film just wasn't compelling to me at all. Beyond the fact that it was just the first script redone, the characters were as flat as the pacing. Then they had that Rogue One story, which I felt was even worse. The whole alleged backstory to the Death Star plans was pretty implausible. And here again, the United Nations fully represented. I took my son and nephew to both films, both kids were 7 at the time. During the first film, they complained and wanted to leave. Rogue One? They fell asleep. As someone who had nearly every action figure, it's difficult to believe that Disney dropped the ball and introduced characters that kids don't want action figures of. Not even being funny or ironic, I left Rogue One without knowing (or caring about) any character's name. Not ONE. I still couldn't tell you who any of them are, and I think I've seen it twice now. As a kid, I knew every single random figure's name from even the brief cantina scene. Now I'm watching a film for two hours and I can't name a single main character. ***???

Wait, so audiences are, for the most part, split on loving it and trashing it, and critics seem to unanimously love it, and you don't think they are being bought off? Between Disney and Lucas, no gift baskets, memorabilia, or trips involved? Seriously??

For me? I grew up on the films. Bought all the toys, saw Empire Strikes Back tons of times in the theater. Original trilogy was pretty decent. Then came the prequels. I despised the first one so much that I completely skipped the second film in the theater. If you told me 20 years ago that I wouldn't be seeing a Star Wars film in the theater, I'd have told you that you were crazy. Then I broke down and watched it on video. Trash. I mean seriously... a picnic in the middle of a Star Wars movie???? Whatever. Third film wasn't terrible, but not great.

Then however meany years alter, we have these new films. First, I cannot forgive Disney for turning this film into the damn United Nations. I get it... they feel the need to diversify. But really, it's like they took the globe and picked out one character from each country. And then threw in random female characters here and there too. Second, the seventh film just wasn't compelling to me at all. Beyond the fact that it was just the first script redone, the characters were as flat as the pacing. Then they had that Rogue One story, which I felt was even worse. The whole alleged backstory to the Death Star plans was pretty implausible. And here again, the United Nations fully represented. I took my son and nephew to both films, both kids were 7 at the time. During the first film, they complained and wanted to leave. Rogue One? They fell asleep. As someone who had nearly every action figure, it's difficult to believe that Disney dropped the ball and introduced characters that kids don't want action figures of. Not even being funny or ironic, I left Rogue One without knowing (or caring about) any character's name. Not ONE. I still couldn't tell you who any of them are, and I think I've seen it twice now. As a kid, I knew every single random figure's name from even the brief cantina scene. Now I'm watching a film for two hours and I can't name a single main character. ***???

If your theory about critics were true, than every movie, at least every movie with a high budget that includes critic kickbacks, would get good reviews. Look at Justice League. WB had a lot riding on that. It had a HUGE budget. Wouldn't they have bought critics if they could? Look, the fact of the matter is people have different tastes, and so do critics. Critics may look at things from a different perspective though, but the idea that there is some massive bribery conspiracy is not based on anything other than "Critics loved this movie I hated" or vice-versa.

As for Star Wars, I'm sorry you don't like the direction of the newer movies. Personally, I've been fully entertained by all of them, prequels included, but, hey, it's not everyone's cup of tea.

If your theory about critics were true, than every movie, at least every movie with a high budget that includes critic kickbacks, would get good reviews. Look at Justice League. WB had a lot riding on that. It had a HUGE budget. Wouldn't they have bought critics if they could? Look, the fact of the matter is people have different tastes, and so do critics. Critics may look at things from a different perspective though, but the idea that there is some massive bribery conspiracy is not based on anything other than "Critics loved this movie I hated" or vice-versa.

As for Star Wars, I'm sorry you don't like the direction of the newer movies. Personally, I've been fully entertained by all of them, prequels included, but, hey, it's not everyone's cup of tea.
I've gotta tell you. The more I'm reading mediocre to awful reviews from fans, and hearing friends pretty universally panning the film, I believe I've decided to sit this one out. Which seems to be the trend, as I opted to skip seeing Episode II in theaters as well. I honestly don't feel as if I would be missing a darn thing (including my fifteen bucks) by opting out of this one, too. Sorry Disney. You'd better hit a damn home run with Episode IX, because from everything I'm hearing from nearly everyone but superfans, this one was a swing and a miss.

I've gotta tell you. The more I'm reading mediocre to awful reviews from fans, and hearing friends pretty universally panning the film, I believe I've decided to sit this one out. Which seems to be the trend, as I opted to skip seeing Episode II in theaters as well. I honestly don't feel as if I would be missing a darn thing (including my fifteen bucks) by opting out of this one, too. Sorry Disney. You'd better hit a damn home run with Episode IX, because from everything I'm hearing from nearly everyone but superfans, this one was a swing and a miss.

Hey, man, you do what you gotta do. I feel the same way about many movies, Justice League for one. I'm a huge comics and DC fan, but I just do not like those DC movies. I do not go see them. It is easiest for me to disengage than to go and watch them and then just be disappointed and mad about them. So, totally, I get it. Everything can't please everyone. For me, Star Wars had never felt that way, but as I have said, I like the prequels quite a bit. If I had hated the last 5 or 6 Star Wars films, I'd disengage too.

Hey, man, you do what you gotta do. I feel the same way about many movies, Justice League for one. I'm a huge comics and DC fan, but I just do not like those DC movies. I do not go see them. It is easiest for me to disengage than to go and watch them and then just be disappointed and mad about them. So, totally, I get it. Everything can't please everyone. For me, Star Wars had never felt that way, but as I have said, I like the prequels quite a bit. If I had hated the last 5 or 6 Star Wars films, I'd disengage too.
Yeah, even some of those newer superhero films had me dozing off, or are just so “out there” that I can’t bring myself to go see them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter