Stalking vs. Waitlist - Stalking Wins Again

Had Dec 14-17 at Poly in a Lake view studio. Had BWV waitlisted in a G/P view studio and 1 bedroom. While stalking this morning noticed a BWV standard 1bdrm available. Called and switched to that and while on the phone they noticed that the BWV G/P 1bdrm waitlist had actually matched. So they made the switch to that and we're good to go now!

I had a 2 BR waitlisted for OKW, was at Saratoga. Found availability completely open for October this afternoon. I cancelled and rebooked via stalking, the waitlist did not come through.

Forgive my naivete/ignorance here, but I just don't get it. If I waitlist, say a 2BR at VGF, wouldn't I, along with anyone else who waitlists the same and depending on the order of those in the waitlist que, automatically get the reservation in the event there is a 2BR cancellation? How can someone snag it from the RAT? In theory, aren't all rooms that are waitlisted already booked "in advanced" so to speak pending a cancellation?

Forgive my naivete/ignorance here, but I just don't get it. If I waitlist, say a 2BR at VGF, wouldn't I, along with anyone else who waitlists the same and depending on the order of those in the waitlist que, automatically get the reservation in the event there is a 2BR cancellation? How can someone snag it from the RAT? In theory, aren't all rooms that are waitlisted already booked "in advanced" so to speak pending a cancellation?

I think what leads to some confusion sometimes is that waitlisted rooms that get matched don't always show up right away. For example... Yesterday I saw a BWV standard 1 BR open up (we didn't have this view waitlisted), so I called and switched from our Poly LV studio to this. As I was on the phone they noticed that our BWV G/P 1 BR waitlist had actually been matched, but not put through yet. Now I don't know whether it had been matched for an hour or a week. So sometimes it may appear as though you find something before your waitlist, when in reality your waitlist has already been matched and just hasn't been put through by someone yet.

To me, the real benefit of "stalking" is for rooms you don't have waitlisted and also for piecing together trips a night (or more) at time depending on what is available.

Thanks for the reply. So am I right to assume that if I have a 2BR VGF waitlisted for a particular time frame, there is absolutely no way anyone would be able to snag this from me if it became available and I was first on the waitlist queue?

Thanks for the reply. So am I right to assume that if I have a 2BR VGF waitlisted for a particular time frame, there is absolutely no way anyone would be able to snag this from me if it became available and I was first on the waitlist queue?

Everyone will tell you something different based on their experiences, but I've never NOT gotten a waitlist and gotten it thru inventory instead. I remember one time I saw a room I had waitlisted available, but my waitlist hadn't come through. So I called and was like whats up with this!? Turns out my waitlist had already been matched, they just hadn't out it through in the system yet (even after they match, a person actually has to go in and out it through). So even though it appeared to me as if though my waitlist was skipped over, it was already matched for who knows how long and there just happened to be more openings on top of that. So I think it can be deceiving at times. But yea, I'd say you can definitely trust your waitlist... but it doesn't hurt to check every now and then lol and sometimes it's fun to check anyway lol

trying to stalk for Jan and found 1 night available but by the time I called it was gone. They made me release the room so someone must of grabbed it. Is there a better way to switch rooms? I don't have anymore pts for 2017 so would need to borrow if I made another reservation. Do you cancel the original res and then rebook?

Finally able to grab a night by calling after holding it online. Now to find the other 2 nights of my res

I put myself on a waitlist for one night in a standard studio in January on Saturday. I noticed that the waitlist was missing from my dashboard on Monday. The day was officially matched today, though they didn't combine the night with my other reservation I have for January.

We are going mid August and had a AKL booked but my husband was unemployed so we had to cancel in May to bank the points. He got a job and we decided to borrow next year's points for the trip. Only SSR was available and when I was serious about booking - I plugged in our dates and the Poly was available for our entire 1 week stay. I was shocked.

I feel like the rooms go into inventory while they match up wait lists and someone checking availability before a waitlist is matched can get it. I know it's a miracle we got the Poly 5 weeks out!!!

It's not that simple.

For example, let's say you have a 4 night waitlist for that 2B VGF villa. If there is a cancellation for 3 of those nights, the system would try to make a match. It would skip over you because you need 4 nights. It does not "hold" nights for you on the chance the 4th night will become available. The waitlist system just tries to get the rooms filled. It will look in order that the waitlists were initiated and will use 1 or 2 of the nights to fill a waitlist request if those requests are ahead of a 3 night request. If there are no waitlists that want those nights, the unmatched nights just go back into the general inventory. Once there, anyone can book them.

My understanding is that the waitlist is a "batch program" that runs several times a day. (I believe it can also be initiated manually and is run more frequently during high demand periods). In between runs, cancellations just go back into inventory. If one is lucky enough to look during the "in-between" times, it is possible to book something that would otherwise go to a waitlist.

This is why some recommend "stalking" (which means checking frequently on your own rather than relying completely on a waitlist). It is also why shorter waitlists seem to work more frequently than the longer ones.

When the system finds a "match", it takes the night(s) out of the general inventory & puts the info into a file. A CM must complete the process. Generally, CMs work the match file when the phones are not busy and they work them in the order of arrival. So that is why when people call in to "miraculously" find that their waitlist worked, what really happened is that system matched their request and it is sitting in the file. Since they called, the CM finishes the process while they are on the phone.

When a waitlist goes into the match file, the waitlist disappears from the dashboard (on the Members' Website). When the process is finished, it also disappears from the Vacation Center.

From anecdotal evidence, I believe that the waitlist works about as often as stalking. But stalking is under an individual's control , so many do it in addition to their waitlists.

What those who are willing to take more of a risk generally do is book individual days as they see them available, waitlist the "holes" and hope to eventually "piece together" what they need. This strategy is less stressful for those who have more points. They can book a "back up" reservation and keep it until they have what they really want. If they aren't successful, they just keep the back up.

HTH.

Waitlist just came through for me.:yay: I had waitlisted NYE for a 2-bedroom at BCV at the 7-month window, at exactly 8am. I doubled my chances by stalking several times per day, except for the past few days, because I was on vacation. When I checked this morning, I noticed I had matched (waitlist was no longer on dashboard), but it wasn't reserved yet. I was too excited to wait for the process to finish, so I called MS, and they completed it for me. Only one waitlist left to complete our 8 night stay, and that is for a 2-br at BVC on the 30th, but that is definitely less stressful, as I already have a 1-br as a backup, and I believe it is an easier waitlist to get than NYE.

Argh! I was stalking and let a BWV 1BR standard sit for about 20 minutes while I checked with DH to see if we really wanted it. And while it was still showing as available on RAT it was gone when I went to book. I'm sure it went to someone's waitlist. Now I know not to check with DH and to jump on it immediately.

I'm a bit late to the party here, but ****** was essentially created so that nobody would have to stalk the RAT ever again. It tries to refresh availability once per hour, and is about 10 times faster than the member website.

I'm a bit late to the party here, but ****** was essentially created so that nobody would have to stalk the RAT ever again. It tries to refresh availability once per hour, and is about 10 times faster than the member website.

That's where I was stalking! It is totally my fault for not booking it as soon as it came up!! :sad:

P.S. Thank you - I love ******.

I had a waitlist for one night at Copper Creek (studio with walk-in shower). I've been stalking as well, and low and behold at 6:30am this morning that exact room showed as available. I opened another browser and checked my waitlist status, and it still showed as active on the dashboard. I snagged the room and deactivated my waitlist. I have to wonder, did I catch it right after someone cancelled?

I had a waitlist for one night at Copper Creek (studio with walk-in shower). I've been stalking as well, and low and behold at 6:30am this morning that exact room showed as available. I opened another browser and checked my waitlist status, and it still showed as active on the dashboard. I snagged the room and deactivated my waitlist. I have to wonder, did I catch it right after someone cancelled?
I wonder if they released more CCV inventory? I had a 2-bedroom wait listed for 2 nights in October. And like every morning since wait listing, I signed on, checked my dashboard and when it didn't show a match, I went on to the booking engine. Lo and behold! There was a 2-bedroom lock-off available for my dates! I held my breath while I used the 2-browser method to cancel my backup reservation and booked it. I still have to call MS to add the other names to it. I had only entered 2 for the number of guests when I began the search and I really need 5.

I wonder if they released more CCV inventory? I had a 2-bedroom wait listed for 2 nights in October. And like every morning since wait listing, I signed on, checked my dashboard and when it didn't show a match, I went on to the booking engine. Lo and behold! There was a 2-bedroom lock-off available for my dates! I held my breath while I used the 2-browser method to cancel my backup reservation and booked it. I still have to call MS to add the other names to it. I had only entered 2 for the number of guests when I began the search and I really need 5.

Hahaha! I did the exact same thing with the number of guests so I have to call or chat too (and get them to link with my other night).

I bet they did release more inventory, it's too coincidental that we both found availability this morning.

Hahaha! I did the exact same thing with the number of guests so I have to call or chat too (and get them to link with my other night).

I bet they did release more inventory, it's too coincidental that we both found availability this morning.

I am also going with they opened additional inventory. My waitlist did not come through and the night was not available. I did the next best thing. Adding a day to the beginning of my trip.

noticed my waitlist didn't show up anymore. Tried to see if it was confirmed but it wasn't. So i check resort availability, the day I needed became available. Stalking wins!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter