SSR Renovations

This is quite concerning if the Renovations have stopped. I mean haven't our dues already paid for this? After the quarterly reports yesterday, and rumours of work ceasing surely we can expect some sort of dues credits if the already paid for renovations were not to continue?

If I understand it, that is covered under the capital reserves, So, if it is put on hold, we wouldn’t get a credit because they’d be done at some point,

Now, we did learn via the DVC message of 4/24 that any credit that happens due to resort shut down will be used as a credit toward 2021 dues instead of going into the capital reserves funds which is what normally happens,

This is a real blight on DVC if renovations do not continue. In fact, construction is one area of the economy that should churning. How could DVC now say they need to cut costs and stop renovations if the capital for this project was already paid for by its members? Where's my money going then?

This is a real blight on DVC if renovations do not continue. In fact, construction is one area of the economy that should churning. How could DVC now say they need to cut costs and stop renovations if the capital for this project was already paid for by its members? Where's my money going then?

It stays in the capital reserves fund.

It stays in the capital reserves fund.

Which I believe legally needs to be a separate bank account. And can't help them out with any cash flow issues thus the question of why they stopped since construction itself was not required to stop.

Which I believe legally needs to be a separate bank account. And can't help them out with any cash flow issues thus the question of why they stopped since construction itself was not required to stop.

I thought Certain construction had to be stopped? They may also have stopped to put more rooms into inventory to absorb points.

I thought Certain construction had to be stopped? They may also have stopped to put more rooms into inventory to absorb points.

I've read multiple reports that construction had continued on the addition by the Dolphin or at least initially. Haven't read anything in the past week or two either that it was continuing or had stopped but no, if it was stopped it was purely at Disney's doing I believe.

I've read multiple reports that construction had continued on the addition by the Dolphin or at least initially. Haven't read anything in the past week or two either that it was continuing or had stopped but no, if it was stopped it was purely at Disney's doing I believe.
There is photo evidence that the 3rd tower at swan/dolphin has continued. Also the Best Western at LBV. Then add in construction which continued at Universal... I don’t get it. I pose the question, is the money really there?

Anyone know if all of the preferred Grand Villas been renovated yet? How about the standard Grand Villas?

Anyone know if all of the preferred Grand Villas been renovated yet? How about the standard Grand Villas?

They were working on the Springs section when things were stopped. At this point, only Congress Park is done. None of the standard view sections have been done.

I don't think we need to get worried that they won't be finishing the renovations at SSR. They will resume in a few weeks IMO. If they can open DS and hotels, then there is no reason they won't continue the renovations. Can you imagine all the complaints from members and guests if only some rooms are available with the remodel.

With the loss of 2+ months of system availability, I think there’s a real possibility DVC will need to delay the renovations for 1+ years because there are more points in the system than availability.
I think they should be declaring more of Riviera to solve that problem.

This is quite concerning if the Renovations have stopped. I mean haven't our dues already paid for this? After the quarterly reports yesterday, and rumours of work ceasing surely we can expect some sort of dues credits if the already paid for renovations were not to continue?

This comes from the capital account which is $70 odd million in credit. So there will be no dues back, they’ll just recommence taking the money to pay for it when it starts again.

They need to be back up and running with it if it has stopped ASAP, there’s no financial or Covid reason this cannot continue.

Big questions will be asked by owners if this is needlessly delayed for long periods. I am still wanting that refurbed standard view!

This comes from the capital account which is $70 odd million in credit. So there will be no dues back, they’ll just recommence taking the money to pay for it when it starts again.

They need to be back up and running with it if it has stopped ASAP, there’s no financial or Covid reason this cannot continue.

Big questions will be asked by owners if this is needlessly delayed for long periods. I am still wanting that refurbed standard view!
I would fear if I booked a standard view, they would allocate me a room as far away as possible.
I’m going to be quietly seething if the renovations don’t recommence at first opportunity.
BTW @Wakey did you cancel your planned mid year trip to Disneyland? I’m still holding on to my September plans, more so I have an option to rent out GCV as that is booked with expiring SSR points.

we got moved from AoA to a SS 2 bedroom. I'm not all that familiar with SS, other than hearing how large it is. We are walkers, we don't mind walking and would much prefer to walk than wait for a bus (even under normal circumstances, let alone currently). Will we be able to walk to DS from any location in SS, or are some areas just too far to do that practically? Honestly I never had interest in SS, but being able to walk to DS at least gives it that benefit, so I would hate to not be able to.

What should I request? We are standard, our updated reservation doesn't say preferred. I had been hoping for a renovated room, but it seems like that isn't even a possibility, correct? So what are some good locations to hope for - is there somewhere that is decently easily walkable to both the main pool/mug refills/gift shop and also DS? I think that would be my ideal - I love walking up to browse the gift shop of get a diet coke refill (although if we go this trip may end up a little different), but don't want to be unwalkable to DS as that's the only draw of the resort to me.

TIA, it is kind of exciting learning about a new resort and since we recently bought into DVC I assume we'll end up staying here again at some point in the future.

we got moved from AoA to a SS 2 bedroom. I'm not all that familiar with SS, other than hearing how large it is. We are walkers, we don't mind walking and would much prefer to walk than wait for a bus (even under normal circumstances, let alone currently). Will we be able to walk to DS from any location in SS, or are some areas just too far to do that practically? Honestly I never had interest in SS, but being able to walk to DS at least gives it that benefit, so I would hate to not be able to.

What should I request? We are standard, our updated reservation doesn't say preferred. I had been hoping for a renovated room, but it seems like that isn't even a possibility, correct? So what are some good locations to hope for - is there somewhere that is decently easily walkable to both the main pool/mug refills/gift shop and also DS? I think that would be my ideal - I love walking up to browse the gift shop of get a diet coke refill (although if we go this trip may end up a little different), but don't want to be unwalkable to DS as that's the only draw of the resort to me.

TIA, it is kind of exciting learning about a new resort and since we recently bought into DVC I assume we'll end up staying here again at some point in the future.
It probably depends on how far you think is too far to walk. It looks like the buildings in the Grandstand and Carousel sections are around 0.7-0.9 miles from the Marketplace entrance to DS.
Paddock would probably be your best option. It’s farthest building is around 0.7 miles away, but it’s closest building is 0.3. I don’t remember building numbers, so I can’t help with the closest building number/room numbers.
The Paddock pool has a refill station, but not a gift shop, but the main building/main pool is not too far of a walk from any of the buildings in Paddock.
I stayed in the farthest NW building in Paddock in January. It was right next to the Carousel bus stop, and the Paddock bus stop wasn’t that far away either. I know you said you wouldn’t want to wait on a bus, but the good thing about these bus stops is, you can get on any bus that comes by and then get off at Congress Park for an easy walk to DS. I would often walk to the Paddock pool for a refill and then hop on a bus there.
Another note about the buses- they start at Grandstand -> Carousel -> Paddock -> Congress Park -> The Springs. Coming back from DS, you could hop on a bus at CP, get off at the Springs, walk back to your room, or walk to Grandstand to hop on another bus back to your bus stop.

ETA: I’m not sure about the ability to walk to the West Side of DS. If available, Grandstand may be your best option.

I would fear if I booked a standard view, they would allocate me a room as far away as possible.
I’m going to be quietly seething if the renovations don’t recommence at first opportunity.
BTW @Wakey did you cancel your planned mid year trip to Disneyland? I’m still holding on to my September plans, more so I have an option to rent out GCV as that is booked with expiring SSR points.

Yes unfortunately had to cancel. FCO advice here is not to travel to USA so insurance would be invalid. In fact Air Canada cancelled my flights and tried to put me on ridiculous multi stop routes. Been battling for a refund ever since.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter