SSR Lovers and Owners Part 3

Why are there so many SSR haters? SSR is the most available resort. When I rent my points and I say SSR is available people say "Ah well, I'll try again"
I personally like SSR. I think the rooms are nice. Nice pools. You can walk to Disney Springs. I guess it is nice to be on the Monorail or Skyliner. Rooms at Bay Lake are small, AKV and Wilderness are dark, the others are generally more expensive. I think we have to stop the SSR haters. Maybe they can put in a water park to make it more popular

Why are there so many SSR haters? SSR is the most available resort. When I rent my points and I say SSR is available people say "Ah well, I'll try again"
I personally like SSR. I think the rooms are nice. Nice pools. You can walk to Disney Springs. I guess it is nice to be on the Monorail or Skyliner. Rooms at Bay Lake are small, AKV and Wilderness are dark, the others are generally more expensive. I think we have to stop the SSR haters. Maybe they can put in a water park to make it more popular
Certainly, I think part of the reason for the "hate" is that you can't walk, monorail, skyline, or boat to a theme park. That's the same with OKW and AKL, which are also generally still available when the park-proximity DVCs are booked. Why SSR is the last available is also because it's sooooo big. It just has so much more inventory than any other DVC - nearly as much as OKW and AKL combined.

The "problem" with SSR is that there is nothing that makes it totally special (in many people's eyes). You are not close to any parks, although being walking distance to Disney Springs is fun, but that isn't necessarily important to park goers. Not the best theming. No savannah, no storm along bay, no monorail, no skyliner. Most other DVC resorts have a special draw to them, SSR doesn't really have that. I'm not complaining. I have always enjoyed my stays, but I can understand why renters might want something more special if they are going to the trouble of renting.

We are SSR owners. We love it BECAUSE it serene and "away" from the hustle and bustle but still close enough to DS for great restaurants. We also own at BWV and when we do split stays its like having 2 different vacations in one!

We will be staying in SSR for the first time other than a one night stay last December. I'm trying to decide between requesting the Paddock or Grandstand as we are in a standard studio. We will have our car with us and will be staying mid-July. We are DVC members and will be staying on rented points.
I like Grandstand but want a refurbished room, while my wife wants the Paddock, tell me she's wrong.:)

We will be staying in SSR for the first time other than a one night stay last December. I'm trying to decide between requesting the Paddock or Grandstand as we are in a standard studio. We will have our car with us and will be staying mid-July. We are DVC members and will be staying on rented points.
I like Grandstand but want a refurbished room, while my wife wants the Paddock, tell me she's wrong.:)
https://www.disboards.com/threads/funny-memes.3796645/post-62919476

Last edited:
I read that as of April 2, 2021 two of the four buildings in Grandstand were completed with refurb. All four may be completed by now. Not that I’m advocating arguing with your wife....

Looking for the best advice!
We usually stay at OKW near Turtle Pond Pool. Next trip we are looking to stay at SSR (1 bdrm) from the research I've done here, thinking of requesting Grandstand area. We enjoy the quiet pools, but like the option of food service at the pool too, mostly I like to be very close to a quiet pool to go back and forth from pool area to room. I believe Grandstand is a standard room, is this correct? Bus transportation isn't super important to us, as we will have our car. Which area is closest to walking to DS? One last question, is there a basketball court at SSR, that is something our son spends time on at OKW.

We usually stay at OKW near Turtle Pond Pool. Next trip we are looking to stay at SSR (1 bdrm) from the research I've done here, thinking of requesting Grandstand area. We enjoy the quiet pools, but like the option of food service at the pool too, mostly I like to be very close to a quiet pool to go back and forth from pool area to room. I believe Grandstand is a standard room, is this correct? Bus transportation isn't super important to us, as we will have our car. Which area is closest to walking to DS? One last question, is there a basketball court at SSR, that is something our son spends time on at OKW.

1. The Grandstand does not have a food service at the pool. The main pool at The Springs and The Paddock pool both have food options.
2. Yes, Grandstand is standard as are The Paddock and Carousel sections
3. Congress Park is the closest but is a preferred location. Some of the The Paddock buildings are close to Congress Park and DS would be easily walkable from there.

Touring plans map of SSR where you can play around with the different room options: https://touringplans.com/hotel_maps/disneys-saratoga-springs-resort-spa

There is a basketball court. I don’t know if you can see my little red circle, but it is in the lower right corner. Grandstand is the area in the upper left corner.
58572EC0-35BB-4492-ACB6-ABB532B05C8B.jpeg

1. The Grandstand does not have a food service at the pool. The main pool at The Springs and The Paddock pool both have food options.

I need to correct myself. The Grandstand pool has the Backstretch Pool Bar which doesn’t open until 11, has a more limited menu and operates seasonally. The Paddock Grill opens at 7:30 and has breakfast and is open year round (from what I can find).

I need to correct myself. The Grandstand pool has the Backstretch Pool Bar which doesn’t open until 11, has a more limited menu and operates seasonally. The Paddock Grill opens at 7:30 and has breakfast and is open year round (from what I can find).
It’s not quite the same as being at the pool but Chip & Dale’s (technically considered to be on the golf course) has breakfast and a full menu and is only about a 3 minute walk from the Grandstand pool.

Any idea what is going on with the availability this summer?
Looks like the standard studio's are all booked until the end of August??

Any idea what is going on with the availability this summer?
Looks like the standard studio's are all booked until the end of August??
I just booked for a fall trip and could only get a preferred studio for half my trip and then did cash in the same room type to complete our stay. Im guessing everyone who has an excess of points due to the last year are trying to use them ASAP which is creating availability issues. I see that you are new DVC membership from your signature, welcome home ! Unfortunately it’s become increasingly difficult to book trips less than 6 months out for the studios.

It’s not quite the same as being at the pool but Chip & Dale’s (technically considered to be on the golf course) has breakfast and a full menu and is only about a 3 minute walk from the Grandstand pool.
Wow--never knew this! Thanks for sharing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter