• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SSR, Driving from NC, & Spring Break @ WDW

:)
TammyNC said:
We also have the football problem as I'm a Cowboy's fan and he is for the Redskins. Lucky for us we love/dislike the same Nascar drivers.
Shame on you both for not converting! :) Bad Carolinian! :)
As your marriage counselor, I insist you both root for the Panthers! :)

WestPark neighborhood off Hwy 55
Hey, we ARE practically neighbors! We're just a couple of miles down 55 from you...We do our grocery shopping at the Harris Teeter across from your subdivision.

You may have sold me on the alternate route....
That alternate route is probably not the best choice for anyone who wants the most direct route and the quickest route under good circumstances. However, all it takes is one typically-bad I-95/I-4 snarl to tip the balance in favor of the alternate route, which avoids Jacksonville, Orlando, and the Daytona area. (Of course, I realize that the alternate route could have bad days, too...I've just seen enough ridiculous tie-ups on I-95/I-4 to feel like my odds for a predictable arrival are better on the alternate route.)

Any advice on which GPS system? Would you buy the same one, if you were buying again?
I just recently purchased my second one. I liked the first one, but was ready for an upgrade. (Both are Garmin units.) I'll send you some additional thoughts on models, etc. in a PM.

Yes, I am hoping we will be going down and staying at SSR next Spring break.
We're planning a trip down next spring break as well, except in our case we will be staying at the BCV. (We have some points at SSR, but most of our points are at BCV.) The eleven-month reservation window opens in a little over two weeks! It will soon be time to call Member Services!
I'm glad Wake Co. schools has spring break several weeks before Easter next March so maybe the crowds won't be as bad as the last couple of years.
Amen!!! Wake County's spring breaks are adjacent to Easter weekend more often than not, and I HATE that! After out last trip to WDW during a spring break adjacent to Easter, we decided that it would be a long time before we tried that again. (My wife is a third-grade teacher for Wake County, plus we have three school-age kids, so we usually stick to the school holiday periods for our Mickey fixes. Not always...but most of the time.) So, as soon as the 2005-2006 calendar came out, I spied the Easter-less spring break, and drew Mouse Ears on my vacation planner for that week! :earsboy: :cool1: :banana:

We have stayed in the Country Inn & Suites (about 62 bucks last time, fam of 5, breakfast included, indoor pool!)
We are also a family of five. (The travel industry is definitely geared to parties of four and under!) I have looked at the Country Inn & Suites web page before when looking for a place to stay on various trips, and it wasn't obvious to me that any of their rooms had an occupancy limit greater than four. Did your room have two beds, plus a sleep sofa? Or did they bring in a rollaway? Or ... ?

SamR said:
Did your room have two beds, plus a sleep sofa? Or did they bring in a rollaway? Or ... ?

On that particular stay, we went with the "Or...." !

OUr kids are probably younger than yours -- (at the time of that trip, they were 9,8,and 4). So the 9 yr old ds and his dad slept in one bed; I had the 8 yr old ds and 4 yr old dd with me! The beds were queens, though -- we can't really manage this with doubles. And honestly, that was probably the last trip we can manage it, period. Our future plans will have to address the issue... We just did that for one night, after all -- we get 2 BRs on our DVC vacation. We used to get the 2br because we only had 2 kids but alwasy brought family along. THen along came kiddo #3 and we have found ourselves increasingly wanting the whole 2br for ourselves! And our dd isn't a teen yet either (or pre-teen, even!) so it's only going to get worse!

I think we will probably look at an Embassy Suites or Homewood Suites or such for our next one-nighter -- yes those places are pricier, but for instance at the Homewood, if it's a Mon-THurs you can usually get a very nice snack or even meal at their manager's reception, plus a nice b'fast in the am. It comes out cheaper than if you got 2 rooms in a lesser hotel, and more comfortable, too, in many ways. More and more chains are making moderate "suite" hotels... maybe they know about us fams of five that don't fit in the industry standard rooms for 4! (And sorry but I just can't see letting my 10 and 8 yr old sleep in another room that has an outside-access door...call me chicken, yes, but don't call me cheap!)

On that particular stay, we went with the "Or...." !
I was afraid you were going to say that! :)
OUr kids are probably younger than yours -- (at the time of that trip, they were 9,8,and 4).
Actually, that is pretty close to what we have: DS12, DS8, and DD5. With queen beds we could probably manage what you did, but our middle child is not a good "bed buddy"...tossing, turning, etc., so it would not be a pleasant night. :sad2:
We just did that for one night, after all -- we get 2 BRs on our DVC vacation.
Us too...Since our daughter quit fitting in the pack-n-play crib, we have been booking the 2 BR villas...It is those stops on the way down that is the problem.
I think we will probably look at an Embassy Suites or Homewood Suites or such for our next one-nighter
That's pretty much been the default for us over the last few years, along with Residence Inns. We have stayed at the Homewood Suites in Savannah, and also the Embassy Suites in Brunswick on our trips down to WDW (and in fact, I already have a room booked at that Embassy Suites for our next trip down in October). They are not the cheapest hotel choices by any means, but as you note, they do throw in a hot breakfast, and the rooms are usually a good size. (It pays to shop around well in advance, and look for AAA rates, corporate rates, etc.)
More and more chains are making moderate "suite" hotels... maybe they know about us fams of five that don't fit in the industry standard rooms for 4!
Yes, but my disappointment is that the newer chains like Country Inn & Suites, and Baymont Suites have "suites" in their name, but do not seem to offer economical alternatives for party sizes greater than four. How about just make the room slightly larger and throw in a sleeper sofa?
(And sorry but I just can't see letting my 10 and 8 yr old sleep in another room that has an outside-access door...call me chicken, yes, but don't call me cheap!)
I wouldn't call you either. Getting a second (even connecting room) means that my wife and I have to split up between the rooms, something we would prefer not to do. Even with DVC, I always call early in the booking window to ensure that I get a dedicated 2 BR...I don't want a lock-off!

Another NCer here, from Asheboro. In June, we left around 5 pm and drove to Kingsland to the Country Inn and Suites. we got a suite with a king bed and sofa bed for about$82. Not sure if they have doubles in the suites or not. We then left Kingsland at 10 on a Friday, and avoided all problems in J-ville or Orlando.

SamR said:
With queen beds we could probably manage what you did, but our middle child is not a good "bed buddy"...tossing, turning, etc., so it would not be a pleasant night. :sad2:

I hear ya -- that is eaxctly the issue now with our youngest -- a real thrasher. THat kid turns like hands on a clock during the night in bed!

Yes, Res. Inn is another horse of the Marriott variety... How are the 2 places you mentioned (Embassy in Bruns. or Homewood in Sav.) ? Do you recommend one over the other?

And wow, our kids are fairly close in demographics -- our ds turned 10, and middle ds turns 9 in July; dd turns 5 in May!

Yes, but my disappointment is that the newer chains like Country Inn & Suites, and Baymont Suites have "suites" in their name, but do not seem to offer economical alternatives for party sizes greater than four. How about just make the room slightly larger and throw in a sleeper sofa?

Amen, brutha!

Getting a second (even connecting room) means that my wife and I have to split up between the rooms, something we would prefer not to do. Even with DVC, I always call early in the booking window to ensure that I get a dedicated 2 BR...I don't want a lock-off!

It's for that very reason that it took us 4 years of DVC to even TRY our home resort of BWV! No dedicated 2brs. We only did BWV this last trip because we had some adult family guests in the studio side... Now, perhaps when the kids are adults, I will like the fact there is another door they can come/go from -- but for now, no thanks! And DH and I don't like to spend our vacation splitski in separate rooms, either. So gotta have the dedicated 2BR!

We are awaiting our paperwork for SSR and plan our first trip home next year. We were considering the week before President's week or a week in March. What weeks in MArch are the busiest (ie Spring Break weeks)?

Thanks
--Howie

How are the 2 places you mentioned (Embassy in Bruns. or Homewood in Sav.) ? Do you recommend one over the other?
Both are fine, but we prefer the Embassy Suites in Brunswick. It "feels" a little newer than the Homewood Suites, which looks a bit rundown in places. Neither hotel is directly on the interstate, but the Embassy Suites is fairly close (about two miles down a four-lane highway), whereas you have to do a bit more driving to get to the Homewood Suites. Savannah and Brunswick are a little under an hour apart, so it also depends on how late we expect to be coming down I-95, and whether or not we think the extra hour is just a bit too late for the kids. The Embassy Suites is also attached to a mall, so if you need dinner (and it's not too late), you can just wander into the mall without getting back out. (There is a Ruby Tuesday, a Chick-Fil-A, and a few other places.)

If the arrival time is not an issue, I check the rates at both places. If they are within 20 dollars or so of each other, I'll choose the Embassy Suites every time. If the HS is significantly cheaper, I'll choose it.
...and middle ds turns 9 in July...
Hey! That is close. Our middle son turns 9 in June! Does your also have a boundless supply of energy, an insatiable appetite for snacks, and a mischevious streak as long as I-95? :bounce: :mickeybar :rolleyes1 :teeth:
And DH and I don't like to spend our vacation splitski in separate rooms, either. So gotta have the dedicated 2BR!
Yep...Another reason (along with SAB, Cape May, and many others) that I love the BCV.

One other thing: I'm working my way through your "13 Days of Disney Fun" story, which is quite amusing. I had to laugh at your comments on the IBM convention...I'm an IBMer, and I speak at a fair number of conventions, but somehow I never get lucky enough to draw one that is booked at a Disney Hotel! :confused3 And as for your comment on mugging an IBMer for his tie...These days ties are scarcer at my IBM location than frowns in the Magic Kingdom! (And I wouldn't have it any other way!) :teeth:

H.Richburg said:
We are awaiting our paperwork for SSR and plan our first trip home next year. We were considering the week before President's week or a week in March. What weeks in MArch are the busiest (ie Spring Break weeks)?

Thanks
--Howie
Howie.....
I'll share my experience...others may share different experiences.

On Presidents' Day......
We went once during Presidents' Day week and didn't even realize it. Presidents' Day is not a major holiday where we live -- practicaly no one (aside from government) closes...so we were totally oblivious to it. We were very surprised and disappointed at the increased crowds. Not as bad as the week before Easter...but no that far off in my view -- especially the weekend adjacent to Presidents' Day.

On busiest weeks in March......
I think it depends upon when Easter occurs. Disney seems to adjust (max) the DVC points (and resort rates) for the weeks before Easter (Holy Week) and after Easter (Easter week). Next year, Easter falls in April....so I am hopeful that March (spring break for my kids' school) will be significantly less crowded. The crowds at Disney seem to be directly proportional to how many kids are not in school....and with so many schools around the country choosing so many different spring breaks, I think March (for next year anyway) should be a relatively good bet.

PantherFanStan

Just checking in here from Raleigh.

We have driven so many times that right now we prefer flying. We have made the trip from Raleigh in as little as 9 hours. Left Raleigh at 3:00 and I was standing at the front desk checking in a few minutes before midnight. At any rate, we always make it a one day driving trip, never stay over.

Right now there are some really super fares on Southwest from RDU to MCO, I have a return flight next month for $39.00 (driving down) and a round trip in June for less than $100.00 round trip. At those prices, I can't afford to drive.

P.S. Hubby is a NCSU grad and son is presently at State.

...and a round trip in June for less than $100.00 round trip. At those prices, I can't afford to drive.
With what has happened to gas prices lately, I can definitely see that economic factors may now favor the fly side of the fly/drive decision for a couple (or even a family of three). For our family of five, having to multiply that round-trip rate (no matter how low) by five really makes it hard for driving not to come out substantially ahead (even at current gas prices). If my wife and I ever again manage a trip down to WDW sans-kids (I can dream, can't I? :lovestruc ), then I strongly suspect we will fly. But as long as it is all five us...Load up the minivan! :teeth:

I understand the factor 5 issue. I would be driving too, not to mention that you can take as much as you want down in the way of food, snacks, etc. to help save money when you get there.

There will come a time when you get to go with just the wife, of course, not long after that will come grandkids.

SamR said:
For our family of five, having to multiply that round-trip rate (no matter how low) by five really makes it hard for driving not to come out substantially ahead (even at current gas prices). If my wife and I ever again manage a trip down to WDW sans-kids (I can dream, can't I? :lovestruc ), then I strongly suspect we will fly. But as long as it is all five us...Load up the minivan! :teeth:

Same here, my good five-in-the-family friend! :earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsgirl:

We have the added problem of no "major" airports nearby. We would have to drive our van at least 1 to 2 hours to get to an appreciable sized airport and decent fare. ONce we get to WDW, I think it would just kill us not to have a car. We like to get groceries and such, and I just like knowing I have wheels if needed (like for those lovely rush-trips to Centra Care for swimmer's ear.) So factor the airport parking, the plane ride, and the rental, and there's DEFINITELY no way airports can compete with our van! Besides -- we can pack more "stuff" in to our van. I sometimes hate that we spend that time "on the road" but then again, we always try to make the journey part of the fun. ON the way home, we almost always stop off to see family, too (it never hurts to plant family and friends strategically along your WDW route, I say!) My mom's / sister's house is literally a halfway point for us -- getting to visit family we don't often see on our way back from a great WDW trip is like mixing business and pleasure in all the RIGHT ways!

So unless gas goes to $75 / gallon (in which case airline ticket prices would probably go up, anyway... Unless you go via solar-powered hover craft -- but I don't think that's available yet) we shall be interstate warriors in our quest for WDW.

ANd trips without the kids? Now there's a pipe-dream. We're at least 11 or 12 yrs from that -- easily. Good thing we'll have DVC for many moons beyond that -- I'd like to feel the freedom of packing for 2 versus 5! :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter