Springtime Surprise Weekend (April 13-16, 2023)

Sleepy425

DIS Veteran
I didn't see a thread on this yet, but if I missed it let me know.
I wasn't really paying attention to dates, and now realize this is during my kids' April break. It will be too many DVC points to get a room for 6, so looks like I will be staying offsite for the first time, and then will have to start driving home to CT after I shower Sunday. Off to find a VRBO! (The plus side of this is my little chi mix Gaston can come along for the fun! And we are looking at getting a VRBO near Vero for the beginning part of the week to make it a longer vacation with a little more relaxing going on)

If I bring this up to my wife right not I am in danger of some significant couch time; but I am hoping to return for the second Spring Surprise. I really enjoyed the races this year and liked the concept on different experiences every year. Sounds like it takes the first 5 years to get a Perfect status for a race/challenge and this may be my only chance. Must make it happen!

If I bring this up to my wife right not I am in danger of some significant couch time; but I am hoping to return for the second Spring Surprise. I really enjoyed the races this year and liked the concept on different experiences every year. Sounds like it takes the first 5 years to get a Perfect status for a race/challenge and this may be my only chance. Must make it happen!
People in some Facebook RunDisney groups are adament that "RunDisney said there is no perfect for SS." Yet I cannot find that announcement anywhere. I signed up for the challeneg this year just so I could get in on year 1 for perfect. I hope there is one!

People in some Facebook RunDisney groups are adament that "RunDisney said there is no perfect for SS." Yet I cannot find that announcement anywhere. I signed up for the challeneg this year just so I could get in on year 1 for perfect. I hope there is one!
IIRC someone here had emailed RD about this last year and they confirmed that there would be perfect status.

EDIT: maybe the confusion was over whether there would be perfect status for individual races? In that case, i don’t think there will be, because they’ll be changing the race themes (and possibly distance, at least for the Sunday event) every year.

Last edited:

I may book a room once room only opens for 2023 just in case… due to my pass tier I’ll be blocked out of the parks except for Sunday but with it being peak spring break maybe that’s for the better and besides since I’m (unfortunately) not doing marathon and princess conflicts with a weekend I do yearly perhaps I’ll $$$ for the challenge

I may book a room once room only opens for 2023 just in case… due to my pass tier I’ll be blocked out of the parks except for Sunday but with it being peak spring break maybe that’s for the better and besides since I’m (unfortunately) not doing marathon and princess conflicts with a weekend I do yearly perhaps I’ll $$$ for the challenge
Ive already had my travel agent quote me for Princess Weekend. You just have to call Disney (or have a travel agent do it).

I was just reading this article and it states that there will always be a 5k and 10k. Has anyone heard this elsewhere? I know those are two very popular distances but it boxes them in a bit. Why not a 5 miler? A donut mile? Some sort of shorter relay?

https://www.womensrunning.com/event...de-to-rundisneys-springtime-surprise-weekend/

While themes and courses will change annually, Pickert says runners can expect a 5K, 10K, and one longer race each weekend. A multi-race challenge is likely to reoccur, along with varied ancillary events like Sunrise Yoga

Honestly kind of surprised they shifted the dates so close to Easter. We didn't do parks this time because they haven't started reselling AP's, and I didn't want to buy tickets to only spend a few hours in the park. Hoping I'll be an AP holder again by the time this race rolls around next year. It's not showing much blocked out for Easter 2023 on the calendar I looked at, but I'm sure they'll get around to it. I'd probably just plan my park days after the races (but I realize not everyone's schedule is flexible to do so).

Honestly kind of surprised they shifted the dates so close to Easter. We didn't do parks this time because they haven't started reselling AP's, and I didn't want to buy tickets to only spend a few hours in the park. Hoping I'll be an AP holder again by the time this race rolls around next year. It's not showing much blocked out for Easter 2023 on the calendar I looked at, but I'm sure they'll get around to it. I'd probably just plan my park days after the races (but I realize not everyone's schedule is flexible to do so).
Pixie Dust is blocked out all weekend Pirate is blocked out Thu-Sat…

IIRC someone here had emailed RD about this last year and they confirmed that there would be perfect status.

EDIT: maybe the confusion was over whether there would be perfect status for individual races? In that case, i don’t think there will be, because they’ll be changing the race themes (and possibly distance, at least for the Sunday event) every year.
I do remember this coming up in either the running thread or in last years race thread. But runDisney did indicate that people who completed the first 5 challenges would qualify for perfect status. Is it a great gimmick to keep you coming back year after year? Yes it is. Has it worked on me? Yes it has!

I do remember this coming up in either the running thread or in last years race thread. But runDisney did indicate that people who completed the first 5 challenges would qualify for perfect status. Is it a great gimmick to keep you coming back year after year? Yes it is. Has it worked on me? Yes it has!
That was me. I only asked specifically about the Challenge, but for that one anyway they said it would qualify for "perfect".

Here's the original post.

Also, I'm pretty sure I heard it mentioned in passing by one of the MCs (or maybe someone they were interviewing) while I was waiting in a corral at SS last weekend. Even with the earlier email confirmation, it was good to hear it understood as a given. :-)

I was just reading this article and it states that there will always be a 5k and 10k. Has anyone heard this elsewhere? I know those are two very popular distances but it boxes them in a bit. Why not a 5 miler? A donut mile? Some sort of shorter relay?

Curious as to what a donut mile is? Googling that seems to indicate a race where you have to run a box of donuts beforehand... ?

Curious as to what a donut mile is? Googling that seems to indicate a race where you have to run a box of donuts beforehand... ?
A donut mile is one of the worst decisions of my life.

The real answer apparently depends. It can vary from eat 12 donuts before you begin or eat 1 donut every 1/4 mile. I did the latter and couldn't eat another donut for ~5 years. I can't imagine eating a full dozen 🤢.

There are also other variations on this concept such as the beer mile or taco mile. Donuts just seemed to fit better with Disney.

The real answer apparently depends. It can vary from eat 12 donuts before you begin or eat 1 donut every 1/4 mile. I did the latter and couldn't eat another donut for ~5 years. I can't imagine eating a full dozen 🤢.

There are also other variations on this concept such as the beer mile or taco mile. Donuts just seemed to fit better with Disney.
What about Mickey mile where it’s Mickey shaped treats

I have donut Mickey ears that I got as a gift that are just begging to be worn for a race. This would give me a great reason haha. (If anybody has other costume suggestions with them, let me know lol)

Really anxious to find out what theme they go with next year. It’s probably unlikely since it might not be allowed, but I would love to see the Avengers brought to this race weekend at some point.

I’m really hoping for a Disney afternoon cartoon theme. It would dovetail nicely with the 90’s theme they have going for Marathon Weekend, and I would pay ALL the money for a Gargoyles race (I realize that this is a bit of a pipe dream, but I would also be happy with Duck Tales, Rescue Rangers, Tail Spin, Darkwing Duck, Goof Troop/Goofy Movie)

Really anxious to find out what theme they go with next year. It’s probably unlikely since it might not be allowed, but I would love to see the Avengers brought to this race weekend at some point.
They could do a GoTG for a race
I’m really hoping for a Disney afternoon cartoon theme. It would dovetail nicely with the 90’s theme they have going for Marathon Weekend, and I would pay ALL the money for a Gargoyles race (I realize that this is a bit of a pipe dream, but I would also be happy with Duck Tales, Rescue Rangers, Tail Spin, Darkwing Duck, Goof Troop/Goofy Movie)
A part of me wants to think the race hosts costumes & start wave music choices for the 5k was foreshadowing but it more than likely just intersected with the adventure aesthetic of it all

They could do a GoTG for a race

A part of me wants to think the race hosts costumes & start wave music choices for the 5k was foreshadowing but it more than likely just intersected with the adventure aesthetic of it all
What were the race host costumes and start wave music choices for the 5K? It could just be wishful thinking, but I thought that they were hinting at the return of Star Wars based upon the pre-race for the Ten Miler. Then again, it could have just been Disney wanting to hype up Obi-Wan Kenobi since the trailer had only recently been released.

What were the race host costumes and start wave music choices for the 5K? It could just be wishful thinking, but I thought that they were hinting at the return of Star Wars based upon the pre-race for the Ten Miler. Then again, it could have just been Disney wanting to hype up Obi-Wan Kenobi since the trailer had only recently been released.
John & Riley were rescue Ranger Chip & Dale Carissa was Webby the other female host was June Duck

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!