Spring Surprise (March 31-April 3rd 2022)

That’s very weird about the 5K being limited to 13. Must be because it’s at night? But your daughter can do both the longer distances at 12 years old.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the scavenger hunt aspect of the race. Insurance requirements could be different??

Hi all, I’m new to runDisney and was thinking about trying to get a spot in the 5k event at the spring marathon. Have a couple of questions:
1. How long are u given to complete the 5k runs?
2. Like above post, how difficult are the scavenger hunts?
3. Is this something that would/could be overwhelming to someone who is doing it alone and it’s their first time?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks!:love:

Last edited:
Hi all, I’m new to runDisney and was thinking about trying to get a spot in the 5k event at the spring marathon. Have a couple of questions:
3. Is this something that would/could be overwhelming to someone who is doing it alone and it’s their first time?

I have never done the 5K scavenger hunt so I can’t speak specificity to it. But I have done a number of Marathon Weekends and have run the 5k’s many times.

1. The official time is likely on the website, but you will have plenty of time. Best measure are the balloon ladies who will leave from the back of the last corral and proceed at a 16 minute pace. If you stay ahead of them you are good. Honestly I am not sure there are sweep points in the 5K. But traditionally if they get ahead of you a runDisney employee let’s you know about the next upcoming sweep point and that you need to be ahead of them by that point. Keep in mind they start from the very end so you actually have grace beyond 16 minute miles as you will start at worst ahead of then in the same corral or at best many corrals ahead of them thus giving you more time.

2. I have heard the scavenger hunt is not difficult, but I have no personal knowledge.

3. The 5K is fun and the most relaxed of the weekend races. Lots of costumed runners. Lots of families, there will be serious runners and people there planning to walk the whole thing and everything in between. RunDisney puts on very organized events, but expect a lot of people. It is a supportive and positive environment. I would recommend as a great first race.

Good luck and have a good time!

Hey all, just wondering who has done the scavenger hunt before and difficulty level. Asking for a friend who’s not so great at them...lol.

I found this recap from 2015 (link). And from 2014 (link). And another from 2014 (link).

Hey all, just wondering who has done the scavenger hunt before and difficulty level. Asking for a friend who’s not so great at them...lol.

In the past, the scavenger hunt involved obtaining clue cards at stops along the course, and solving a series of riddles. (No actual "scavenging" for physical objects, beyond finding the clue card distribution people!)

The riddles weren't super hard, but they weren't super easy ... I definitely remember seeing people sitting on the ground trying to figure them out mid-race.

I remember thinking they should make the riddles easier in order to move people along faster ... !

I just watched the 2015 video and saw myself twice. I was running with a cancer group and we had lime green shirts. Since I registered late I was in a later group also. Everest was a lot of fun.

Attachments

• IMG_20150505_113827.jpg
    IMG_20150505_113827.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 11

Good news! :tigger: I heard back from runDisney regarding "perfect" status. They said:
That is correct. If you sign up for the runDisney Springtime Surprise Challenge this year and participate in the same in-person challenge consecutively for the next 5 years, you will receive the "perfect" status after the fifth year.

Kind Regards,

Juan
runDisney
Walt Disney World Resort
Email: runDisney@disneysports.com

I assume these races may sell out fast? Do the 5ks typically sell out first? Would like to do the 5k with family and run the 10 miler myself.

Thanks!

Great, because there weren't enough reasons to be glued to our phones at Disney yet 😏
Right. But having something like QR codes to scan instead of having physical clues/cards to hand out to people when we are in/possibly coming out of a pandemic seems like a more publicly-palatable choice for that size of a gathering. And would reduce litter.

Good news! :tigger: I heard back from runDisney regarding "perfect" status. They said:

Curious how this will work. Did they say if it was just for challengers, or if doing the longest distance would count (i.e., 10 miler this year and if it were a half in future years, that one).

Curious how this will work. Did they say if it was just for challengers, or if doing the longest distance would count (i.e., 10 miler this year and if it were a half in future years, that one).
I'm sorry, I asked specifically about the Challenge, and their response only addressed that.

If you do decide to email runDisney for an answer, first of all I suggest that you be as clear as possible. I thought I was being very clear with my first email, but they replied with a very generic response about what it takes to be perfect. It took me a followup email asking a very direct question to actually get an answer to what I really was trying to ask. Also, be patient, I waited a couple of weeks to get my first response. Good luck!

Anyone notice that general registration opens at 2pm on 12/9? The other two options are at 10am. I thought that was a bit odd and am wondering if that's a mistake and will totally throw us all off on registration day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!