Spring Surprise (March 31-April 3rd 2022)

in the end I had to run from security to bag drop off and then all the way to the corrals. I was in the C corral. A, B and most of C has already gone. I slid into the back of the corral and just kept going. Not the warm up I wanted, that is for sure! At the Marathon the next day no snooze button, out the door early and it was complete smooth sailing.
When that happens I feel like you should be pro-rated and credited towards your 26.2.

I remember that our bus seemed to take forever for the Princess 2020. I honestly can't remember if it was the 10k or half that we were so rushed for. I feel like it was the 10K. Seems like we may have just missed the bus outside of Wilderness Lodge, had to wait while that one filled, then seemed to be in a traffic jam on the way. I guess I didn't realize how late we were until we walked all the way through, and DH was in Corral C and they were already about to take off. It was a little crazy! I felt like we had left in plenty of time, but I guess not.

I remember that our bus seemed to take forever for the Princess 2020. I honestly can't remember if it was the 10k or half that we were so rushed for. I feel like it was the 10K. Seems like we may have just missed the bus outside of Wilderness Lodge, had to wait while that one filled, then seemed to be in a traffic jam on the way. I guess I didn't realize how late we were until we walked all the way through, and DH was in Corral C and they were already about to take off. It was a little crazy! I felt like we had left in plenty of time, but I guess not.
After.all these late bus stories, I think I know why there are no more night races. The traffic leaving the Parks combined with race buses. Getting to the start of the night time wine and dine was when I remember most of the horror stories.

It comes down to how much extra stress you’re willing to take on for that extra sleep. Do you really want to start your race day with “when is that bus getting here, I’m close on time” or “omg, where is this driver taking us” for a very expensive race weekend? It’s all a personal preference, but I’d rather be there early and relaxed waiting for the race to start than be a ball of stress wondering if I was going to miss my corral or the start of the race entirely because I went for a few extra minutes of sleep.
I was once on a bus where the bus driver got lost. It was an earlier bus so no big deal and no stress. But it does happen. And when the start of the 2020 marathon got delayed by a good 30 minutes, I remember watching a few people stressed out as they ran to hopefully make their earlier corrals before they started.

My little sister often runs races with me and we literally set multiple alarms. My phone, her phone a little bit later, and a wakeup call just in case.

Though it was not a Disney race and I was in no danger of being late, I once started a goal race in the wrong frame of mind. Stressed out due to other reasons, I was in a bad mental place to start and the race itself was miserable. Despite being fully trained, the last 10 miles of that half were brutal.

Nobody wants to start off a runDisney race on the wrong foot because they encountered avoidable stress by trying to cut things down to the minute.

After.all these late bus stories, I think I know why there are no more night races. The traffic leaving the Parks combined with race buses. Getting to the start of the night time wine and dine was when I remember most of the horror stories.
You may be right, but I was still hoping all these would be night races since I have never gotten to run one.

I did the Tower of Terror 13k night race in 2007... the race started at 9:30pm and the traffic getting to that race was insane. They had to delay the race start because they had issues getting the roads cleared, and so many runners got stuck on the roads trying to get there. And from what I understand there were only about 4-5k people registered to run, so not a big race. Regular theme park traffic plus runners resulted in chaos, lol.

I remember being effectively parked on Victory Way for a very long time (45 min?) in my car trying to get to the race. People were hopping out of cars and running to the start. This was back before runDisney was "runDisney" and the whole event was very different (my race bib pickup was just one cast member at a folding table in the old Motions dance club on Pleasure Island!).

I imagine the logistics and capacity concerns for a larger night race are harrowing, even though runDisney obviously learned lessons since 2007 and can organize successful night events. Seems like small-capacity night races within Animal Kingdom's zone (out of the way) are likely the easiest logistically.

The only night race I did was the first W&D and don't recall any transportation issues. They had buses that went from the Epcot parking lot to the start at WWoS. They started pretty early before the race and I got on one of the first buses to be safe.

That was back when only certain resorts had race transportation and I don't recall if that was just for the expo. I know I stayed at a host resort but took the Epcot bus and frankly don't recall why I would have made that decision if it wasn't the only option.

Last edited:
Have there been any indications as to whether any of these events will qualify towards a new "perfect" status? I know the races themselves will change each year, but perhaps there'll be some sort of "Springtime Surprise" perfect?

I have to admit this was my first thought when I learned there was going to be a new run weekend. I came into runDisney too late and have never had the chance to start a perfect streak. I sure hope they do recognize Spring Surprise. Probably a good enough reason to keep coming back for me.

I have to admit this was my first thought when I learned there was going to be a new run weekend. I came into runDisney too late and have never had the chance to start a perfect streak. I sure hope they do recognize Spring Surprise. Probably a good enough reason to keep coming back for me.
same.... tecnically I'm "Perfect" having run the Wine and Dine 10K since it's first year in 2016 but there is no official status for that just personal bragging rights

I spent a little time on the race website and I have to say I was a little cool to the weekend at first but think restoring the old races was a pretty cool first weekend. I still can't do it this year but look forward to whatever they do in 2023.

I'd be a little surprised if they don't do a perfect streak for whatever the Sunday even is each year, assuming that will always be the headliner. It doesn't really cost them anything and it incentives people to keep the streak alive when they otherwise probably wouldn't. The minimal cost of tracking perfects and the small gift they give would be offset by a handful of runners that would skip a year and decide to go anyway just to keep a streak alive.

Have there been any indications as to whether any of these events will qualify towards a new "perfect" status? I know the races themselves will change each year, but perhaps there'll be some sort of "Springtime Surprise" perfect?
I thought it interesting that the distance of the challenge is 19.3 in the end, maybe each year it will end up with number?

I thought it was interesting that the challenge includes all three races. If they recognize a perfect status, maybe it'll be perfect challenge? I'm also hoping for a chance at a streak with this new event weekend!

My hope is that the ToT medal has "INAUGURAL" somewhere on it, either the medal or lanyard. I ran both the 13K and the 10 Miler inaugural races and would love to add a third.

Sorry if this has been covered all ready- is there going to be a EE 5K after party like the original. I did not see it on the RunDisney website??

I'm not seeing an age requirement for the Tower of Terror 10 mile. My daughter, who will be twelve at the time, and I were so excited to do these races before they ever announced the themes. once they were announced, we were so excited. I saw that the challenge is all 3 races and didn't see an age requirement, so we got pumped for these. I just saw there is an age requirement of 13 for the 5k. So that kind of sucks. I know you've been supposed to be 14 in the past to do a half. Has anyone seen any age requirements for the 10 miler?

I'm not seeing an age requirement for the Tower of Terror 10 mile. My daughter, who will be twelve at the time, and I were so excited to do these races before they ever announced the themes. once they were announced, we were so excited. I saw that the challenge is all 3 races and didn't see an age requirement, so we got pumped for these. I just saw there is an age requirement of 13 for the 5k. So that kind of sucks. I know you've been supposed to be 14 in the past to do a half. Has anyone seen any age requirements for the 10 miler?
That’s very weird about the 5K being limited to 13. Must be because it’s at night? But your daughter can do both the longer distances at 12 years old.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter