Split Stay - Help Me Decide!

timandjanl

Mouseketeer
We are looking to plan a split stay at 2 DVC resorts w/ the idea that we are "sampling" them for purposes of determining which one we would want as our initial home resort when we join DVC. Right now my top 4 choices are BLT, BWV, AK, and VWL, but we will probably only do a split stay w/ 2 of them. We are a family w/ a 2.5 yr old and a 2 month old so our kids will be little for awhile and we'd be spending most vacations at MK for more of the time than any other park. But being near some casual restaurants is also a plus for us. I like the convenience of BLT, but my husband really wants more of a "themed" resort than that one is. Thoughts? How is the transportation to MK from VWL? Also, I have been on the bus rides where there are 5 stops (BC, BW, Yacht Club, Dolphin/Swan) so that makes me nervous about BWV.

AK is a great home resort if you have kids. You don't have to worry about multiple stops but the bus rides to MK are long. The last few times we have stayed on property we've rented a car. A car is nice for so many reasons!

Transportation between VWL and MK, I like the boat....it is nice and peaceful.

We are looking to plan a split stay at 2 DVC resorts w/ the idea that we are "sampling" them for purposes of determining which one we would want as our initial home resort when we join DVC. Right now my top 4 choices are BLT, BWV, AK, and VWL, but we will probably only do a split stay w/ 2 of them. We are a family w/ a 2.5 yr old and a 2 month old so our kids will be little for awhile and we'd be spending most vacations at MK for more of the time than any other park. But being near some casual restaurants is also a plus for us. I like the convenience of BLT, but my husband really wants more of a "themed" resort than that one is. Thoughts? How is the transportation to MK from VWL? Also, I have been on the bus rides where there are 5 stops (BC, BW, Yacht Club, Dolphin/Swan) so that makes me nervous about BWV.

IMHO I'd try BLT AND BWV.

BLT is obvious because of the ages of your Children now plus you have access to monorail to jump to EPCOT via TTC xfer. That being said the Contemporary Resort is where we stayed in our last cash room in 2002. That was the year we became DVC members. We had a 6 Year old and a 2 year old at the time and could easily have seen us buying BLT had it been developed.

BWV because fast forward 5 to 10 years later and you now have access to EPCOT and Studios either by foot or boat. More to do at the resort on the Boardwalk. You can get to MK via bus or we frequently also go in EPCOT and walk through park and access MK via monorail.

BTW We bought at BCV an now that my kids are 16, 12 & 8 we are glad we did. At 8 my son loves Test Track, Tower of Terror, etc and we find EPCOT and Studios get more visits than MK. Plus our pool is awesome and we can go to park early and when it gets hot we hit the pool, eat in our villa and then go back out if we wish. BWV offers same opportunity except pool is not as nice as stormalong. Both BLT and BWV will get you fireworks every night :cool1:

You are smart to test drive before buying.

Clifton - you pretty much wrote out my exact thoughts. I am leaning towards BLT and BWV with the thought that we'd buy at BLT first and then BWV in a few yrs. Thanks for the perspective!

I know I will probably get virtually beat up but I don't care for BWV. And, we have grown kids! Don't like their atmosphere in the resort. Great lack of restaurants, especially if you're on the dining plan. Do like their location. Very nice view of boardwalk and walk to epcot.

My favorite is AKV where we own. We love the atmosphere, rooms and especially the animals. Love waking up and seeing what's outside our balcony. We love Boma for diner and Mara's for quick serve! Also loved BLT. It is modern but so nice to cross over to contemporary and use the monorail. Like the excitement of the contemporary. Like having chef mickey's there. Kids will love it when they are grown cause they can travel to Epcot and Magic Kingdom easily on their own. Also close to Grand Floridian and polynesian. They also have a nice lounge and viewing area on their roof.

We enjoy visiting VWL and BC but have never stayed there. Daughter stayed at BCV and preferred BLT hands down.

Just my 2 cents :)

MY DD's and I just did our 1st stay at Boardwalk villas and LOVED IT! We just stay in a studio with a pool view..... one of my DD's is 15 years old and the other is 5 years old..... each of them loved it.... we went only to HS and Epcot on this trip b/c they had PM EMH's going back to the BW during the day for a nap and then back at night was great! Also we like Cape May at the beach club so walking over to the BC was nice too..... now my mom and dad's home resort is BLT and we ALL love it the most! Not just b/c of it being right next MK. I love that you can go to the other resort's that have character dining and also you can get over to the camp grounds by boot if you want to go to Mickey's BBQ and Hoop dee doo musical revue.

Your split stay should be BCV and VWL. BCV you can experience the boardwalk area including BW resort and you can see the BWV model at BWV.

VWL, check out WL, the villas, eat at the resort and take a boat ride to the MK and Fort Wilderness for dinner at Trial's End.

AKV you can go to the resorts for dinner and see the model at SSR.

:earsboy: Bill

My vote would be for AKV & BWV. You really need to try AVK!

Someone pointed this out- your wants/needs may change as your kids get older. When my DS 7 was younger, a monorail resort was a must. Bus transport was a hassle with folding stroller & longer transit to MK. Fast forward to now & he loves BW & BC. Just returned from split day- AKV Kidani & BWV. AKV was nice & unique but hands down we like BWV better. Dining options not great @ AKV. For pool stay, we like BCV but pool too spread out imo for younger kids. Once, they get older, it's awesome! We really like the pool @ BWV. Smaller, quiter. Like dining options @ both. BWV has a great community hall - also, imo better than Kidani. Don't love BLT but don't love CR. TOTW is awesome- great place to view fireworks. We like Wilderness Lodge. Not sure if you have to fold stroller for boat ride to MK?? Not a 1 size fits all & buy where you want to stay. Great idea to sample before you buy. Good luck!

AKV is also easier to get into than others so home booking not really issue except concierge or value

Thank you all so much. I feel like now when our kids are young a home resort near MK or MAYBE AK is a must. I love the BW area though especially all the food options. So much to think about!!

The worst problem with a split stay? You will be homeless from at least 11AM until after 4PM. So if you need afternoon naps, you will be stuck with poolside or in the stroller.

And for transportation from VWL to MK? The bus is the best. Non-stop from VWL to MK and back again. No stops anywhere. Epcot bus stops at FW before heading to Epcot. But not sure of the other two themeparks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter