Splash Mountain Will Change to Princess and the Frog--WILL OPEN 7/11 as Splash

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought it was odd that Disney had a ride themed around a movie they wouldn't release. Pocahontas probably would have been a better "fit" for Frontierland, but let's face it, Disney has shown they don't care to follow the original theming much any more (see all Epcot new additions). My boys don't like Splash now (they don't like getting wet) so whether it is another "princess" ride won't matter to them (they refuse to go on FEA)

I don't mind this overlay. I'm still a bit peeved about Mr. Toad though.

Maybe I’ve been living under a rock, but I had no idea this was a possibility. So I’m completely surprised and disappointed. I love Splash, been one of my favs for years. I will be really sad to see it go.

I haven’t seen Princess & the Frog but am interested to see what they come up with for the new ride.

and its still very popular
Change is always in the ind of Imagineers, nothing is meant to stay the same, be it adding things like they did with IASW at DL (that was an uproar, petitions, you´re ruining a classic and then everyone was ok with it) a complete makeover like ToT, same issue, or just a brand new show like replacing Wishes with HEA or Illuminations for Harmoniuos . Things are not meant to stay the same

I get things are not to meant to stay the same. People are never good with change either... whether it's at Disney or in their personal life. I found, in my opinion, that FEA seems like it was thrown together to hop on the Frozen frenzy. I personally feel they could have done a better job. That's not what the little girls notice but I did. My family was definitely not wowed and feel we never need to ride it again. We always rode Maelstrom. Again - just my opinion.

I'm definitely going to miss the "Zippity Doo Dah" finale, and the conversation between Brer Rabbit and Mr. Bluebird at the end.

I like PATF the movie, but I don't think the songs are as memorable as SOTS. And it has some genuinely scary parts, so I hope they don't make the effects too intense for the youngsters.

I saw Song of the South when I was a kid. Went to WDW a few times in the 80s as a kid and didn't go back until probably 2010 or so when I first rode Splash Mountain. So first of all the ride isn't really iconic to me because it was built in the 90s. I get it, a lot of people really liked it, including me. I really enjoyed the overall theme as it is and really enjoy the music but also found it hard to forget and ignore the source material. I must admit that the first time I got on it I couldn't believe I was getting on a ride that was dedicated to Song of the South. So in summary this doesn't shock me at all and it probably shouldn't have been built as/is in the first place.

Last edited:
I’m completely against this no matter what their reasoning is, or how long they’ve planned it. I think that trying to fit Princess and the Frog into Frontierland is a stretch no matter what. I’m also a mom of boys, so another princess anything is not going to excite them. There is a lot that caters to the girls, and less so for the boys, in my opinion. Splash mountain is more generic and appeals to both.
totally agree - I am absolutely understanding of the issue with Song of the South. But it does not fit. does not. I am a Disney Purist - didn't mind the changes to Pirates. It still fit in the theme and didn't totally change up the story. To me, Splash Mountain characters are revered and loved and this is really upsetting me.

I am sure the new theme will be a great ride.
I am still very sad that Splash is going away. Waiting 2 hrs as a kid with my family for splash is something I remember about our trips. My dad always wished the theme and now that he has passed away the ride just brings back memories of him and our family trips when I ride it.

If this is true, this is terrible news. I love Splash Mountain. They already took out the offensive parts from Song of the South when they built it. I hope this new ride fails miserably. Honestly, this is the biggest, pull-the-rug-out-from-under-you piece of crap news on the planet. I have never been more sad and disappointed in Disney. Looks like the song zip-a-dee-doo-dah will be erased from existence too.
Really? With everything going on in the world right now, Disney re-theming a ride is the biggest news on the planet?

I'll proudly stand in the minority here and say I'm extremely disappointed with this news. It amazes me how PC this country has become. People get offended by being offended now.

Remember; just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right. And that goes for whether or not you like singing Zip a dee doo da (which I KNOW 90% of "die hard" Disney fans enjoy) or whether or not you think dole whips are better than churros. It's either all or nothing. This whole pick and choose what I'm offended by safety bubble this world currently lives in is laughable.

I for one will continue to display my Splash Mountain merch on my WDW shrine!

::respectfully steps off soapbox::
So when Tower of Terror was re-themed to Guardians it was because people were offended by Tower of Terror?

That's because that is exactly what this is. I don't think anyone believes that this has been in the works since last year. This is 100% because of the current climate and the petition to retheme the ride making national news.

There have been some rumblings about this for quite some time. It didn’t just pop out of nowhere. I do think the current climate provided an opportunity to speed up the announcement, but this change has been rumored all over the internet for a long time. Turns out, it was true!

but what makes something a classic?
I guess it does vary depending on who you are, age that you started your Disney addiction... LOL. To me, a classic is kind of like music that is classic. Like Elton John's music or The Spinners or Earth Wind and Fire. Still sounds good today, right? That's a "classic." And, selfish as though this might sound, I'm not a fan of the newer Disney movies that I've seen. Frozen was 'okay' - but every other one I've tried... not a fan. Just doesn't have the "magic" to me and I know that's a personal opinion and not the opinion of all Disney fans. Hence the word "selfish." I love Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Little Mermaid, Jungle Book... they feel classic to me. Another "classic bucket" in my humble opinion: the originals and especially the Walt inspired attractions. Haunted Mansion, Tiki Room, Pirates (yes I know they changed up pirates but it was a simple addition, not a makeover), Jungle Cruise, Country Bears. Again, it's a personal thing. And in my personal world Splash Mountain is a classic. Hurts my heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter