Splash Mountain to become Princess and the Frog ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not entirely sure. I hope not. I would much rather see tweaks and changes than a removal. This shows Disney is evaluating a lot of things right now. I am not sure how rapidly they are looking to make a change either.

I would say there is a chance Disney is going to go too far with the PC stuff and possibly turn off a lot of Dis veterans, certainly the ones over 40 who actually have the money to even afford WDW anymore.

Okay...I get your point, at least partially.

But, what would you suggest? Gut the parks? Get rid of all Americana-themed things? Get rid of the charm of Main Street USA?

I mean, really if you think about it, Grand Floridian, the Boardwalk, Yacht and Beach, are all very evocative of a certain class (a class I am not a part of by the way) in an era gone by kind of way. If you enjoy those resorts for their turn-of-the-century simpler times...aren't we kind of talking about the same thing?

So, I guess what I am asking, and I am asking completely sincerely and not in a troll-ish way....what is the answer? If the parks are brimming with nostalgia for the past, and people love that nostalgia for the past...how can it be reconciled? Other than just gutting the park(s)?
I don't think there is one answer that fits all things. I think the first step is recognizing that just because these things hold positive memories and associations for some people doesn't mean they're a universally great thing and should never be touched or reconsidered again. No, not all things have to go, the same way that not every statute or every movie or every book should be gotten-rid-of. I fully believe that nothing and no one are 100% unproblematic, we are all works in progress and sometimes views evolve faster than people do. I think it's a balance, a question of what other things the area or attraction are saying, what options there might be for that attraction to have a more up-to-date message, and that doesn't necessarily mean just jamming characters in because we can.

For some areas, like Main Street USA, the answer may be keeping it the way it is (though maybe losing the cigar store Indian that is still out at Disneyland for some reason). For other areas, like Frontierland and Adventureland, how can we keep the fun adventure theme without having quite so many "brown people are savages" moments shoved in? Is there a way to strike that balance?

I think of it like Tomorrowland, in a way. That land has frustrated Imagineers for generations because it will always eventually become the present (or the past). It constantly needs to be reexamined, reevaluated, to see what is still futuristic and what is just passe. Fantasyland is frequently updated to bring in newer stories that resonate with kids - whether it's making Snow White "less scary" every 20 years or getting rid of an amoral jalopy ride that ends with being hit by a train and winding up in hell! That was fun in the 1950s; now more parents object to that kind of thing. However, when it comes to the left side of the park, there is this idea that if we change anything, if we update it with the times, we're destroying the "charm" or the "history."

Does modifying a 30-year-old ride themed to a 75-year-old racist movie take away from the park's "charm" or "character"? If so, why? How? Do we just never want the parks to change? Or are we okay with certain changes but not this one? To me it's all a balance.

I would say there is a chance Disney is going to go too far with the PC stuff and possibly turn off a lot of Dis veterans, certainly the ones over 40 who actually have the money to even afford WDW anymore.
I think people need to realize there are problematic pieces in the Disney parks. What is okay for you may not be to others. I don't think we will see the entire park change or anything but I don't see a problem with them changing the natives scene in Peter Pan for example. The ride itself wouldn't go anywhere just a small piece of it.

I think people need to realize there are problematic pieces in the Disney parks. What is okay for you may not be to others. I don't think we will see the entire park change or anything but I don't see a problem with them changing the natives scene in Peter Pan for example. The ride itself wouldn't go anywhere just a small piece of it.

I don't see how changing the Peter Pan ride helps. It's just the Splash situation again. They try to disassociate from the problematic material, but soon the whole thing has to go. Changing the Peter Pan ride is like an admission of guilt that dooms the whole ride later on.

I don't see how changing the Peter Pan ride helps. It's just the Splash situation again. They try to disassociate from the problematic material, but soon the whole thing has to go. Changing the Peter Pan ride is like an admission of guilt that dooms the whole ride later on.
The ride moves so quickly that taking that out likely wouldn't impact much at all. It was also just an example. Another one would be Jungle Cruise. The new movie may help them make that change.

I hope they give the bears a nice refurb and some new music. It is showing its age. And they have plenty of additional animatronics they can use if they need them, or if they want to add more bears, since they had two Country Bear theaters at Disneyland. Plus when they shortened the show, it really didn't improve it...its just a few minutes shorter. They need to give Buff, Max and Melvin more to do, since part of shortening the show was removing some of their slightly un-PC dialog.

Last edited:
The ride moves so quickly that taking that out likely wouldn't impact much at all. It was also just an example. Another one would be Jungle Cruise. The new movie may help them make that change.

Yeah, and I'm not suggesting they shouldn't change Peter Pan. I'm just saying that what's, hm, interesting about the Splash reskin is that even cutting out the problematic parts isn't enough.

Peter Pan is a racist little boy (well, demigod). I was rereading the book today and it's right there.

I suggest maybe a break from these boards or the internet. Everything will be okay.

Seems like the poster was being quite reasonable in expressing their dissatisfaction with the decision. Their viewpoint is as valid as the next.

Ive loved Disney by whole life...been there close to 100 times in my 46 years...made so many memories with my parents and kids....the ultimate escape...like nowhere else on earth...we all know the feeling.

many of us dreaded this moment...that politics and messaging would invade the parks and everything would become about a "statement"...well here it is...be prepared. It's a very sad day as this is just the beginning...for some they'll welcome the introduction...I'm just sad....the snowball is small and is just going to grow as it rolls down hill

Agree with you Mickey. Splash has always been my favorite ride in MK and DL. I've had awesome memories at Splash, including convincing my mom to go on the ride at least once a trip with my brother and I. We love the ambiance and music of the ride.

And you better believe there will be a snowball. This is just the beginning. Of course, some people will accept whatever Disney does is for "the greater good" and will never question the almighty Bobby Iger.

They may as well shut the whole park down and strip every ride of it's theming. No matter what, someone will be butt hurt and claim to be offended. I think I will protest 7 Dwarfs Mine train. I have a friend who is a Dwarf. This ride offends me because they have Dwarfs working in a dark mine. Do they get breaks? fair wages? I think I will write Disney and let them know how offended I am.

You joke but it's coming

Disney is going to do whatever they want under any reason they choose to publicize. Customers will love it, hate it, or be indifferent but, they probably won’t let it deter them from visiting the parks. I do however think there are better options than Tiana for this one. The movie just wasn’t that great. Tangled was better IMO and she got a stone bathroom and cheap garden lights strung in the trees.

Disney has already made enough poor decisions to turn me off. I stopped going to WDW at the end of 2015. I still visit DL because they haven't completely nuked the park yet but the decision to re-theme my favorite ride is certainly a step in the direction of getting me to stop visiting altogether. I'm sure your reply will be Disney doesn't care but I suspect I'm not alone here.

The source material for Splash is clearly problematic and has been for years as shown by Disney’s own choice to prevent people from watching. This is not something they’ve recently been alerted to. It naturally follows that they may choose to change the ride someday. Someday is today. That certainly doesn’t scream pandering to recent events (unless they’ve been preparing for this day for decades) but okay.

They are pandering as only a very small % of people were actually asking for this change. How many Disney guests have even heard of SotS? .01% perhaps.

They are pandering as only a very small % of people were actually asking for this change. How many Disney guests have even heard of SotS? .01% perhaps.
I doubt that. This isn’t about a ride being beloved. Splash Mountain has had deep roots in controversy. Disney for years has done everything they can to lock Song of the South away. This certainly wasn’t something they decided overnight. This has been coming.

It’s one of my favorites. I hate to see it go because it’s just a classic and very fond childhood memory.

I know this may be silly but....can't they keep it Splash Mountain? The name I mean.

I just looked at the concept art again and it looks like it won’t be a mountain at all - it looks like the whole thing is actually a tree. I don’t think a mountain will be part of the storyline at all, so having the word mountain in the name wouldn’t really make sense.

Seems like the poster was being quite reasonable in expressing their dissatisfaction with the decision. Their viewpoint is as valid as the next.

Agree with you Mickey. Splash has always been my favorite ride in MK and DL. I've had awesome memories at Splash, including convincing my mom to go on the ride at least once a trip with my brother and I. We love the ambiance and music of the ride.

And you better believe there will be a snowball. This is just the beginning. Of course, some people will accept whatever Disney does is for "the greater good" and will never question the almighty Bobby Iger.

You joke but it's coming

Disney has already made enough poor decisions to turn me off. I stopped going to WDW at the end of 2015. I still visit DL because they haven't completely nuked the park yet but the decision to re-theme my favorite ride is certainly a step in the direction of getting me to stop visiting altogether. I'm sure your reply will be Disney doesn't care but I suspect I'm not alone here.

You joined today? Why? To post this rant?

I suggest maybe a break from these boards or the internet. Everything will be okay.

And this is part of the problem. Only one narrative is allowed to be pushed. Anyone that disagrees with it is the problem and are the ones that should stay away.

I don’t mind different opinions, and think many of those opinions opposite of mine are valid. But if you brought this exact same topic up as a hypothetical months ago, like it had been done countless times before, the responses were vastly different than today, which I believe to be because no actual Disney fans wanted this.

It is just a ride, as everyone is so quick to point out. And it was just a ride before too. It brought far more people joy than it offended. Disney can do what they deem best for the brand. But we are allowed to be outraged, and I don’t think trying to shame/silence via making people out as crazy because they are passionately opposed to something is productive. Especially since people being upset is what led to the change in the first place. One upset group gets what they want, the other is told to be quiet and stop being upset.

And this is part of the problem. Only one narrative is allowed to be pushed. Anyone that disagrees with it is the problem and are the ones that should stay away.

I don’t mind different opinions, and think many of those opinions opposite of mine are valid. But if you brought this exact same topic up as a hypothetical months ago, like it had been done countless times before, the responses were vastly different than today, which I believe to be because no actual Disney fans wanted this.

It is just a ride, as everyone is so quick to point out. And it was just a ride before too. It brought far more people joy than it offended. Disney can do what they deem best for the brand. But we are allowed to be outraged, and I don’t think trying to shame/silence via making people out as crazy because they are passionately opposed to something is productive. Especially since people being upset is what led to the change in the first place. One upset group gets what they want, the other is told to be quiet and stop being upset.
If I only allowed one narrative I would have closed this thread on the first page.

I myself am not jumping up and down cheering about this change. I’m sad, and I will miss it. I also see why it’s happening though.

I just think it’s a little over the top to act like the world is ending because Splash Mountain is changing.

If I only allowed one narrative I would have closed this thread on the first page.

I myself am not jumping up and down cheering about this change. I’m sad, and I will miss it. I also see why it’s happening though.

I just think it’s a little over the top to act like the world is ending because Splash Mountain is changing.

But who is acting like the world is ending? Granted it's a long thread and haven't read all the replies, just the recent ones. But worst I've seen is people expressing tremendous disappointment. Someone suggested that there will be more PC changes and you suggested they take a break from the boards.

That poster isn't wrong about this being just the beginning. There is a movement going on and Disney is going to be absolutely be a part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter