Spirit Airlines "hidden" fees?

eyeheartgoofy

DIS Veteran
I'm looking at a Spirit Air flight, but I can't figure out how much checked bags cost. Also, do I have to pay for an assigned seat?

Thanks!

Seats, baggage, ALL beverages.... etc.

And you are right they hide this stuff. I think from reading on here seats are $15 and bags $25?

The 1st bag is $19, 2nd bag is $25, this charge is per person. Everyone's 1st bag will be $19. So if you had 3 bags and 3 people it would be $57.

Yes, you have to pay to assign your seats. You can leave it to be assigned at the airport. I think the charge is anywhere from $10-$20. This depends on the location of the seat in the plane and whether it is a window, aisle or middle seat. Seats to the rear of the plane and middle seats tend to be less expensive.

Yes, they do nickel and dime you. You would be amazed how many people now bring on carryons on the plane now. Also, when I was checking in online for my flights 2 weeks ago, there were many seats still not assigned but the flight was full the next morning. Some people do leave it to chance, I'm just not one of them.

Between my bags and seat assignments, I probably spent $120-$150 extra for 5 people when I last flew with them.

The 1st bag is $19, 2nd bag is $25, this charge is per person. Everyone's 1st bag will be $19. So if you had 3 bags and 3 people it would be $57.

Yes, you have to pay to assign your seats. You can leave it to be assigned at the airport. I think the charge is anywhere from $10-$20. This depends on the location of the seat in the plane and whether it is a window, aisle or middle seat. Seats to the rear of the plane and middle seats tend to be less expensive.

Yes, they do nickel and dime you. You would be amazed how many people now bring on carryons on the plane now. Also, when I was checking in online for my flights 2 weeks ago, there were many seats still not assigned but the flight was full the next morning. Some people do leave it to chance, I'm just not one of them.

Between my bags and seat assignments, I probably spent $120-$150 extra for 5 people when I last flew with them.

Wow! Thanks for letting me know!!! I thought I could do a dummy booking and find out about the fees before I entered my CC info, but they don't show any of those fees before you have to enter your CC.:headache:

I guess, in my case, it really won't offer enough savings to make it worth the drive.

Wow, I didn't have to pay for all that. Last year I found the 8$ special for my mom and brother. I think the flights were actually 16$ a piece, and I spent another 32 in government taxes and fees. But I never paid for any of the checked baggage or seating.

I guess it helps that my brother is wheelchair bound, so he and my mom got loaded onto the plain first. And I don't think she had any checked baggage.

But when she got here, she didn't tell me of any other fees she had to pay when she checked in.

I guess a lot changes with airlines fast. I think it's outragous. When I drove my aunt back home to texas, I made sure everything fitted into one carry on bag because I didn't want her to pay any fees for me flying back home.

I just booked a flight on Spirit 6 days ago so I would assume this information is "current".

The checked bag fee was $15 if you pre-pay it. After you've input everyone's info, it asks how many bags for each person you want to pre-pay for. We opted for one bag (total) but we can pre-pay for another one just by logging back in to our reservation. If you do not pre-pay, you will pay $25 at the airport for each "1st" bag.

As far as the seat assignment fee, it is $7 for middle seats and $12 for window or aisle. Since we are flying with a 5 and 3 year old, I paid for 2 window and 2 middle seats.

We plan on buying a bottle or two of soda after clearing security and before getting on the plane. That should last us the entire flight so no need to pay for more drinks.

Even with all the "extra" fees, our flight was still very affordable. The total cost came to $291 for 4 people. That is only one-way since we are flying AirTran for our return flight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter