Spinoff thread - what can/can't you do that defies gender stereotypes?

DD and I always joke about being terrible girls.

I was joking with my husband the other day that I wished polygamy were legal because we need a wife around here. It seems that unfortunately, all of my female traits are the ones that result in money being spent. The useful ones elude me.

I can use most power tools and can do general repairs (my dad was a contractor and had all girls, what else was he gonna do with us... :rotfl:).
Give me a good action flick over a chick flick any day.
I rarely wear makeup and suck at hair styling. (Thank god for straighteners, you really can't screw that up.)
And I hate to cook. Survival skills only.

But, I pretty much nail every other female stereotype: I will squeal and try to jump on the nearest chair if I see a mouse. Same goes for spiders. I don't mind cleaning and actually like hand-washing dishes. I can barely figure out how to lift the hood on a car. If I could get it open, I could only identify the engine, washer fluid container, and where you check the oil. Love shoes and bags (if I had money, I'd have an entire room full). Love, love, love babies. Sports? Blah. I go to my son's games because I love him and he loves sports. But, otherwise, there isn't one sport I'm interested in.

It might be quicker for me to list the few things I do that fit gender stereotypes. I hate to shop, pretty much live in jeans & tees, never wear jewelry other than my wedding set and matching solitaire earrings, don't do "chick flicks", don't want my DH to bring me flowers, seldom wear makeup or do anything more than brush or ponytail my hair, don't care for entertaining unless you mean a BBQ or other very casual occasion, don't carry a purse much less spend big bucks on designer bags, and hate gossip/"girl talk".

I love baseball, action/suspense/sci-fi movies, gaming, and anything techie. I enjoy working in the yard, am perfectly capable of fixing my own cars (though I do draw the line at my minivan, everything is just too cramped and too much hassle), and am rather good at many household repairs/improvements. But I do enjoy cooking, especially with food I've grown, and sewing so I'm not entirely without feminine traits.

I am not a girly girl and have lots of mixed qualities I guess. I adore shopping but my absolute favorite store is Lowe's or other home improvement place. Not big into shoes or purses and usually wear the same jewelry. I can functionally cook, can't sew and don't enjoy entertaining. I do love decorating and baking.

The tools in the house are mine and my recent project was replacing the flooring in 2 rooms. I also do lights and faucets and painting. Hopefully I will learn to tile one day. DH can't fix anything and is of the mind that he'd rather pay someone to do it.

I love a good chick flick or book but not the really sappy ones. DH loves sappy movies like Sleepless in Seattle, etc. :crazy2: but he also likes action movies. He has also learned to functionally cook since we've been married - mainly cause he didn't like how I made some stuff. ;)

I look like a girly girl but...

I do all the yard work (17 acres but obviously, not all mowed) and even fix the lawn mower when it's broken.

I built a pitching mound with the boys this summer, and I am the one that instructs/works with them.

I can't stand making small talk. I won't sit near the other Mom's at games because I want to watch the game, and not listen to their gossip.

I'm not good at playing the "fake/phony" game like I see so many other women doing. I actually prefer to be "out of the loop" with certain groups.

It would be torture for me if I was ever forced to read a romance novel.

I move entire rooms of furniture by myself. (DH hates when I switch around the rooms/furniture. He says he read it takes 10 years off the life of furniture every time you move it. Who would want to own some of this stuff for more than 10 years, anyway? :confused3)

I prefer action movies to chick flicks. I also hate decorating (except at Christmas). I have family photos hanging around my house but no vases, statues or lacy pillows. I don't wear makeup outside of work.

I also don't cry. It has been years since I really cried (other than tearing up time to time). I can't stand it when a woman cries at the drop of a hat or when you are trying to talk to them about poor performance at work.

I have a sister who doesn't cook. One day her 6 year old son went to another sister's house and when he came home said to his mom "Do you know that cookies come out of an oven? I saw Mary take them out".

However I am totally uncoordinated and cannot do the house or car maintenance. I will clean up after DH and hold something in place but that is the extent of my work abilities. Luckily DH loves it.

I hate to shop. I especially hate trying on clothes. Oddly, I like clothes/fashion, but it's a huge chore for me to actually go out and try on new clothes and buy them.

I have a penchant for low brow humor. I love smart, witty humor just as much, but I love stupidity, too (think Adam Sandler or worse, LOL).

Same here, I dislike shopping for most everything.

Love me some low brow humor, be it The Three Stooges or any slapstick.
And as movies and books go, I love spy movies, thrillers or sci-fi, and hate chick flicks (exception is Bridesmaids- slapstick!)

I love doing yard work, I can change the oil in the car and change a tire
(as any woman who drives SHOULD know how to do). I also have no problem driving across the country by myself (several women I know would never dream of driving 3 hours away without a man!?)
I hate dressing up, jewelery, fancy makeup, fancy purses and all those other "girlie" trappings.
I love antique cars and camping.

The thing that keeps me from turning in my woman card is the fact I love to decorate, go antiquing, I watch HGTV all day long, and I spend time online perusing Pinterest and Decorating Blogs.:lovestruc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter