Spin-off: What is your biggest driving pet peeve?

Thought of this this morning. Its raining here today. Driving on a 4 lane (2 lanes for each direction) and tractor trailer is in the left lane and car is in the right hand lane. Both are traveling 10-15 UNDER the posted speed limit. Car will not pass the tractor. I have no idea why not. Tractor can not move over as car will not speed up or slow down. I can only assume because of the road mist, car would not pass.

Thinking ahead to winter, after a snow storm. People that do NOT remove the snow from the top of their vehicles! Some only chip off a "scuttle hole" to see out the windshield! Don't be so lazy and cause a hazard for other drivers. When that stack of snow/ice finally lets go, its like a brick wall coming at you! CLEAN OFF YOUR ENTIRE CAR! If your SUV is too tall and you can't reach it.... get a smaller one, a step ladder or an extended pole!

This is a big pet peeve of mine--not just with semi's but all drivers that like to play "State Patrol". Usually it's someone in the left lane driving at or below the speed limit so no one else can get around.

Throwing lit cigarettes out the window. :furious:

:thumbsup2 I can't stand when people open their windows and toss their nasty cigarettes out!!

Drivers that sit at red lights waiting to turn right but don't do it until the light turns green even where there is no sign saying "no turn on red"!

This is a big pet peeve of mine--not just with semi's but all drivers that like to play "State Patrol". Usually it's someone in the left lane driving at or below the speed limit so no one else can get around.

I agree that it is wrong to do on the highways...but in our neighborhood, there are several of us that play "pace car" and will slow to 5 miles under the limit if there are cars speeding through a residential zone.

Oh, I already posted one in the other pet peeves thread but there are just so many to choose from :rotfl2:

1) people that don't know what to do at a 4-way stop, especially when someone is making a left hand turn. They either 1) turn in front of the opposite traffic going straight, cutting them off or 2) someone going straight thinks the person turning left should go in front of them, rather than behind them, so they just sit there and wait. (2 is probably due to too many encounters with people in 1).

You are the second person to post something like this, and I am VERY confused! 4-way stops are a "first in, first out" type scenario. The car that stops first is the next car to proceed through the intersection, no matter which way they are going. If two cars arrive at the same time, you yield to the car on your right. I've never heard that cars turning left have to yield to cars going straight until this thread. Where did that come from? Am I wrong?

I live right near a 4-way stop so I encounter one every single day, and it has always been that you proceed in the order in which you arrived at the stop. Now I know why every now and then a person seems to go out of turn. I guess they think the person going straight has the right of way? I am so confused. :confused:

You are the second person to post something like this, and I am VERY confused! 4-way stops are a "first in, first out" type scenario. The car that stops first is the next car to proceed through the intersection, no matter which way they are going. If two cars arrive at the same time, you yield to the car on your right. I've never heard that cars turning left have to yield to cars going straight until this thread. Where did that come from? Am I wrong?

I live right near a 4-way stop so I encounter one every single day, and it has always been that you proceed in the order in which you arrived at the stop. Now I know why every now and then a person seems to go out of turn. I guess they think the person going straight has the right of way? I am so confused. :confused:

That was probably my post in two different threads since both were about pet peeves and this one is driving me crazy lately :rotfl2:

In my pet peeve situation, this is a fairly busy 4-way stop so there are multiple people in line at the stop sign, forcing the sides to alternate (North/South going first then East/West, etc). So I might arrive at the stop sign with 3 or 4 cars in line in each direction. So when I finally come up to the line, I have to wait for the people to my right and left to go through the stop sign and then it is my turn (at the same time as the people facing me). In that case, the rule is that I should wait for the opposite traffic to cross and then I make the left turn behind them because both of us should be proceeding into the intersection at the same time.

Yes, if the intersection is not busy, then the first person to arrive would go first. In that case, if the people opposite me had not gotten to the stop sign yet, then I would proceed with my left turn based on the first to arrive, first to proceed rule.

I was thinking the same thing so I looked it up for NY (where I live). I didn't read anything that says a driver making a left with the right of way at a four way stop intersection has to wait for drivers who do not have the right of way to go straight.

If there were cars travelling in opposite directions and have a green light, then the car making a left yields to the driver going straight but I don't see where that applies to an intersection with a 4-way stop sign.

I was thinking the same thing so I looked it up for NY (where I live). I didn't read anything that says a driver making a left with the right of way at a four way stop intersection has to wait for drivers who do not have the right of way to go straight.

If there were cars travelling in opposite directions and have a green light, then the car making a left yields to the driver going straight but I don't see where that applies to an intersection with a 4-way stop sign.

The only time I would think it applies is if both drivers arrive at the stop signs at the same time. It just makes sense to allow the straight driver to go first and is statistically safer. But other than that....it should pretty much just go on order arrived.

That was probably my post in two different threads since both were about pet peeves and this one is driving me crazy lately :rotfl2:

In my pet peeve situation, this is a fairly busy 4-way stop so there are multiple people in line at the stop sign, forcing the sides to alternate (North/South going first then East/West, etc). So I might arrive at the stop sign with 3 or 4 cars in line in each direction. So when I finally come up to the line, I have to wait for the people to my right and left to go through the stop sign and then it is my turn (at the same time as the people facing me). In that case, the rule is that I should wait for the opposite traffic to cross and then I make the left turn behind them because both of us should be proceeding into the intersection at the same time.

Yes, if the intersection is not busy, then the first person to arrive would go first. In that case, if the people opposite me had not gotten to the stop sign yet, then I would proceed with my left turn based on the first to arrive, first to proceed rule.

I totally had no idea. You are probably encountering people like me that just think it my turn if I was next to the stop sign, regardless of who else is there and what direction they are turning. I'm going to try to be more aware at the 4-way stop to see if I encounter your scenario. It isn't busy very often, so that's probably why I never noticed the rule you stated. I love when I learn things on this board! I guess I should probably stop yelling "IT WAS MY TURN" when someone goes through the intersection out of turn. They may be operating under different rules! :rotfl2:

The only time I would think it applies is if both drivers arrive at the stop signs at the same time. It just makes sense to allow the straight driver to go first and is statistically safer. But other than that....it should pretty much just go on order arrived.

According to the NYS manual, in that instance, the car to the right has the right of way. It's only unsafe when there are drivers not aware of the laws who don't come to complete stops or yield to the driver with the right of way.

According to the NYS manual, in that instance, the car to the right has the right of way. It's only unsafe when there are drivers not aware of the laws who don't come to complete stops or yield to the driver with the right of way.

But if you are both facing each other at a 4 way stop, aren't you both to the right of the other one? :confused3

But if you are both facing each other at a 4 way stop, aren't you both to the right of the other one? :confused3

If you are directly across from each other, and both parties are going straight, then it doesn't matter because you won't hit each other. Both can proceed through the intersection at the same time without incident. The only time there would be an incident is if one is turning left, as they will have to cross the other vehicle's path. When this is occurring, the car going straight has the right-of-way and the person turning left must yield to the vehicle across from him (again, only if they stop at the same time. If they didn't, whichever car stopped first has the right-of-way regardless of whether he is turning or going straight).

Then the car going straight would have the right of way...just like opposing cars at a green light.

Correct. If done correctly, more traffic can navigate the intersection in a shorter amount of time.

Think of it this way:

Straight driver & oncoming left turn both pull out together. Left then pauses briefly, then ducks in behind straight car to complete left turn. Essentially, the whole thing happens simultaneously.

If left turn cuts in front of straight through, straight through cannot move until after left turn has completed left turn. Now, instead of a single movement, you have two separate ones.

Yes - sorry, I'm doing a terrible job at describing the situation. Since it is a busy street, there could be 3 or more cars in all directions, so it becomes an alternating situation rather than first arrived. North/South goes then East/West goes, etc. So both me and the car opposite me are technically arriving at the same time because we have both waited for the cars in front of us to take their turns.

The car turning left then must yield to the opposite traffic going straight through the intersection and only turn once they have cleared.

But people here will turn quickly in front of the oncoming traffic. It would be like turning in front of oncoming traffic at a green light. I think it happens so much anymore that people just expect it. So when people like me show up, ones that actually follow the rules of the road and wait for them to cross the interection before turning, they just sit there waiting for me to turn in front of them :confused3

People who do brakes first, then turn on the turn signal.

That is part of why you have turn signals, to warn me that you will be slowing down soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter