Spin-Off of Wedding Thread: How Many First-Cousins do You Have?

6 all from my mother's side. One passed away so 5 living.

My dad was an only child so no 1st cousins on that side.

4 on mom's side (1 is tynechically a step cousin, but he's been around since he was a baby).

0 on dad's side. He's an only child.

I'm of Generation X and have 13 cousins from my Dad's side and 6 from Mom's side.

My kids who are teenagers now have 4 from their Dad's side and 3 from my side.

11 on my mom's side and approx 18 on my dads. A few are deceased as both my parents were the youngest child so some of my first cousins were a lot older than me. Couldn't even guess about my dh's side as the family was split due to a divorce. I know there are a lot though. Both his parents had lots of brothers and sisters.

20 on my dad's side and 4 on my mom's. I don't live in the area anymore and haven't seen them in years.

DH & I are Generation X.

I have/had 8 first cousins - 3 on my mom's side & I had 5 on my dad's side (2 have passed away).

DH has 11 first cousins - 3 on his mom's side & 8 on his dad's side.

Our kids have 9 first cousins - 4 on my side & 5 on DH's side.

These numbers don't include the now grown cousins' spouses & their children (which would be our first cousins once removed).

3. One I have never met. One went off the deep end and fell off the face of the earth. One is a normal (as far as any of us are normal) person.

My dad's side, 2. Never met them, which is interesting since we live in the same state and have for 60 years. My brother has met them both

My mom's side 18, all living in other countries. I have met all but 2, 1 because she passed away before I was born.

I have 6 first cousins. Dh, on the other hand, has at least 50 first cousins. His parents were born in Ireland. MIL was one of 8 and FIL was one of 16.

First cousins. 19 on my mom's side, none on Dad's. 2nd and 3rd? Couple hundred on each side. Several of my dad's first cousins came to my wedding. They were like siblings growing up together. I always referred to them as "Aunt and Uncle." My cousins kids refer to me as Aunt as well. It's just easier.

My kids have about 30 first cousins with the various brothers and sisters DH and I have. They only know about 8 or 9 of them though and are only close with 3.

2 on my mom's side, 3 on my dad's, and I'm not close to any of them. We all grew up in different states and only saw each other for weddings, funerals, and the occasional big extended family Christmas.

My mother has over 100 first cousins, roughly evenly split between the sides of the family, and the ones on my grandmother's side are close enough that they have monthly get-togethers. Depending on the month and who is in town or travelling, they're a group of 25 to 40 people.

On my moms side I have five and see them all a couple times a year. We are all around the same age and get along well.

On my dads side I'm not exactly sure how many I have as I have never met any of them that I can recall but I know there is at least 9. My dad was never close to his family so I never met most of them.

On my mom's side I have 13. My dad's just one.

My mother is the oldest of 6 girls and my grandma had her kids spread over about 20 years. I am close in age to my aunts. My aunts are more like my sisters. When my grandma does things for her daughters I'm often included as one of them and not a grandchild. My first cousins are more like my nieces and nephews and first cousins to my kids even though they are my kids second cousins. I have first cousins younger than my children. Some of my cousins already have kids and they are close to my kids even though we are getting into 3rd and 4th cousins. In my family we don't label first or second or third cousin. We are just cousins. We are a close family who spends plenty of time together and talk on a regular basis through group texts or video apps.
My dad and his older brothers have uncles in their age bracket. My grandma and her older sister were several years older than the five brothers who followed so grandma, my great aunt and my great grandma were having babies at the same time. Those uncles were in the same group with the cousins who all ran around together when my dad was a kid.

I forgot to say of my 19 first cousins I'm only close to five. They lived a block from my grandma so we all over to grandma's frequently at the same time. Of those I'd say I'm somewhat tight with two and "friendly" with the other three. With the exception of 2 or 3 of the rest I "just can't" with them. It doesn't help that they're all devout and I decidedly am not. I'm also seven years older than the first who came after me and my sister.

My dad and his older brothers have uncles in their age bracket. My grandma and her older sister were several years older than the five brothers who followed so grandma, my great aunt and my great grandma were having babies at the same time. Those uncles were in the same group with the cousins who all ran around together when my dad was a kid.

I forgot to say of my 19 first cousins I'm only close to five. They lived a block from my grandma so we all over to grandma's frequently at the same time. Of those I'd say I'm somewhat tight with two and "friendly" with the other three. With the exception of 2 or 3 of the rest I "just can't" with them. It doesn't help that they're all devout and I decidedly am not. I'm also seven years older than the first who came after me and my sister.

My mom's youngest sister is only 2 months older than me. My mom and grandma were pregnant at the same time. Most of my aunts are also very religious and it caused an issue within the family for a bit but we had a family meeting and everyone agreed to disagree and not let it interfere with our relationships. So far so good!

Now my XH has a 6 year old little brother and his father's wife is pregnant again. My kids are 17 and 11. And they are close to their little uncle. I'm interested to see how that goes once my kids have kids. My XH is actually pretty close with his little brother for being almost 30 years apart.

They are on my dads side. He has one brother and they are his children.

None on my moms side. She had one brother and he never married.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter