Spielberg leaves Indiana Jones 5...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spielberg as a producer doesn’t really say much, his name is attached to far more stuff than he has time to actually help out with. He would’ve stayed on as director if he wanted to be heavily involved. Him and Lucas being out is a bad sign to me.

This is only bad news to me. No knock against Mangold, but he's a step down from Speilberg - heck, just about ANYONE is a step down from, Speilberg!

Indiana Jones was one of the franchises that put Spielberg on the map. Him leaving Is not good.

I'd be all for a new director taking over if they were going to start with a new actor (maybe the kid from Solo) and do prequels , young Indy, etc. Since this is continuing with Harrison though I'd prefer Spielberg at the helm, and if not him, yeah I'll say it, George Lucas.

I guess I'm one of the few who thinks it would be interesting to see someone else direct? Especially given the last one wasn't received well and the guy who might take over has a good track record...

I'd argue this is a good thing. Indy 4 was the only film of the franchise to be shot entirely in the US. Apparently, Spielberg didn't want to be away from his family for that long. I prefer a director without that sort of complacency. Indiana Jones films, like Bond films, are elevated by filming locations. The aesthetic of the film suffered because of this decision (among others). Maybe LucasFilm realizes this and prefers a director willing to put in the hard work.

Doesn't bode well ..

We (fans) just have to realize that when the ORIGINAL creators aren't involved anymore, it just is never going to live up to the originals. Heck .. even if they ARE involved (see Crystal Skull) .. as those people get older, their passion for the project just isn't there (like it was for the original) and it sometimes shows. That's why you see directors move on to do their "own" movies instead of just sticking with a franchise. Franchises are for the Hollywood execs, not the creative talent (like directors). Probably to them . .they've "been there, done that" and they no longer see it as a challenge.

That's why this past decade of reboot after reboot just feels "lifeless" in my opinion.

Doesn't bode well ..

We (fans) just have to realize that when the ORIGINAL creators aren't involved anymore, it just is never going to live up to the originals. Heck .. even if they ARE involved (see Crystal Skull) .. as those people get older, their passion for the project just isn't there (like it was for the original) and it sometimes shows. That's why you see directors move on to do their "own" movies instead of just sticking with a franchise. Franchises are for the Hollywood execs, not the creative talent (like directors). Probably to them . .they've "been there, done that" and they no longer see it as a challenge.

That's why this past decade of reboot after reboot just feels "lifeless" in my opinion.

But as a counter if something like indina jones was part of what made your career if you go back to it on the end of your career you are going to want to do it justice. You are not going to ruin what you created at the end.

Doesn't bode well ..

I respectfully disagree. I see Indy heading in the direction of the Bond/Batman franchises. In that scenario, every 3 or 4 movies we see a new Indy actor/director injecting new life into the character and franchise. Which is why I see moving on from Spielberg as a necessity. Sadly, its probably time to move on from Harrison Ford, too.

On a side note: I remember reading that Spielberg had little interest in any sort of Nazi plot following Schindler's List. Maybe LucasFilm is demanding that classic formula for this film.

I respectfully disagree. I see Indy heading in the direction of the Bond/Batman franchises. In that scenario, every 3 or 4 movies we see a new Indy actor/director injecting new life into the character and franchise. Which is why I see moving on from Spielberg as a necessity. Sadly, its probably time to move on from Harrison Ford, too.

I agree wholeheartedly - unfortunately, Mr. Ford thinks that he's special and that only he can play Indiana Jones. He was too old last time, and this time - well it'll be interesting. What's it gonna be? "Indiana Jones and the Treasure of the Assisted Living Facility?"

I'm willing to wager that Lucasfilm will go along with HF's idea until he's gone, then their nose for money will "find a new film that Mr. Ford would have been proud of," or something like that...

The original trilogy is very very dear to me (as in... Indy is a better character than Han, that's right I said it...) and I still watch them probably once a year, and I just don't know if that "feel" can really be replicated again. I don't want to see Indy become less present in the parks but I don't really want another film made at this point either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!