Spending Christmas on the Fantasy!

This past year we got off the cruise dec 31 and drove to WDW from Dec 31-Jan 6. Crowds were no where near as bad I thought they might be, even with the marathon the weekend we left.
I will have to look at that option then! Do they still do park/cruise combos?

We've done 4 Merrytime cruises in early December they are nice and a good price. They get you in the Holiday spirit. I prefer to be home Christmas day.
Yes, the cruise mid-December is half the price! My wallet would prefer that one fore sure! However, I'm a school teacher and unfortunately 3 of the 4 of us all have the holiday break.

Yes, we are planning on the 17th December cruise next year. As lovely as it was being on board over Christmas it is so much cheaper to cruise a cruise or two before Christmas ... and then we will spend actual Christmas at WDW which we love too! We get the best of both worlds that way! :)

Claire :)

We've done 4 Merrytime cruises in early December they are nice and a good price. They get you in the Holiday spirit. I prefer to be home Christmas day.

If we had enough money to cruise over Christmas most years I would do it in a heart beat. For selfish reasons, it was one of the most relaxing Christmas' we have had. We didn't do decorations at home, no running from one families house to the other, making our way through the crowded malls: son was 23 then and we all knew this was our Christmas present, etc.
I have a sister that was stunned when we told everyone we would be on a cruise over Christmas, she too said she could never be away from home for the holiday.

We did the Fantasy on Christmas this last year (2016) and it was utterly amazing. Santa, cookies, gingerbread... We brought one of those tiny little Christmas trees from a dollar store to decorate and had some Christmas-themed magnets for the door. Got up super early on Christmas morning (DD9 was just so excited to be on the cruise on Christmas) - and we were the only folks walking around in our Christmas pjs in the main area. Got some really amazing pics with the characters. Dinner was lovely. If I had the money, we'd do that every year.

We did the Fantasy on Christmas this last year (2016) and it was utterly amazing. Santa, cookies, gingerbread... We brought one of those tiny little Christmas trees from a dollar store to decorate and had some Christmas-themed magnets for the door. Got up super early on Christmas morning (DD9 was just so excited to be on the cruise on Christmas) - and we were the only folks walking around in our Christmas pjs in the main area. Got some really amazing pics with the characters. Dinner was lovely. If I had the money, we'd do that every year.

Please tell me you had matching pj's! I love this.

We have done a Merrytime cruise early December and it was great, but actually sailing over Christmas must be amazing on DCL.
Anyway I just wanted to say I'm pretty sure you could order a small Xmas tree and decorations from in-room gifts prior to your sailing.

Sadly I never wrote a trip report. But it was seriously the best trip, in every imaginable way. Our 9 year old still talks about that trip, now almost 6 months later, numerous times a week.

I just booked us the week leading up to the cruise because I was expecting the school schedule to come up one way and it came another so now we are spending DD actual birthday at WDW and then headed to the cruise. That way we have the vacation after the WDW vacation we always joke about.

We had a wonderful time last Christmas too! So much so that we are doing it again this year! My son will be 21 again and we are sure feeling the time slip away....

Anyways, my first tip is to use these magnetic hooks for the stockings, they stick right on the wall at the foot of the bed without hurting the wall at all. I bought the lightest ones I could find and they worked very well, even though they were small. We did mostly gift cards for the stockings. It also served as decoration! They are strong enough also for a light jacket or hat.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IYFQ2JG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Second, we got the decoration package, which was great for when we first walked in! It came with two light stockings and a crazy singing tree that we didn't care for at all!
And, this year I will get some of the light tinsel garland roping for around the door, and magnets for the door. Makes it festive! I also did get a teensy tiny tree and decorated it and wrapped those tiny wire battery LED strands they sell at places like Pier One. Totally fine with the crew.
Last, we were the crazies in the Port wearing santa hats....;-) Oh, and my daughter and I bought those blinking ornament necklaces you see in places like AC Moore. There. You have all my secrets!!

Last edited:
Had a question about Christmas day and shore excursions - we are thinking about taking this cruise but for those who have been at a port on Christmas Day, is anything open? Are you able to still do excursions? I did some research and noticed most places are closed on Christmas Day. Did you find that most of Disney's excursions were still available for booking?
Thanks in advance!

Had a question about Christmas day and shore excursions - we are thinking about taking this cruise but for those who have been at a port on Christmas Day, is anything open? Are you able to still do excursions? I did some research and noticed most places are closed on Christmas Day. Did you find that most of Disney's excursions were still available for booking?
Thanks in advance!

Good question - I'd love to know that too.

Thanks in advance!

Good question. Christmas was a sea day for us last year.

Christmas day was a sea day for us too on the Dream Christmas 2015.... maybe they are always planned to either be sea or CC days?

We did a Merrytime cruise in 2014 around 12/9. I loved the ship decorations and the fun holiday stuff they did. I just think a Christmas cruise would be nice cause then I wouldn't have to worry about home decorations or cooking :thumbsup2:rotfl:

Or so you think... then your family gets all mopey about not having decorations up from the end of thanksgiving until you leave and you end up pulling out all the stops anyway. The only thing I've been able to skip when we travel is the actual dinner! :laughing:

Christmas day was a sea day for us too on the Dream Christmas 2015.... maybe they are always planned to either be sea or CC days?

Edit: nope, we'll be in Grand Cayman on Christmas on OP's cruise...! (we are currently booked to be on it as well! :hyper: )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter