spaghetti for boyscouts?

UMTerp

DIS Veteran
Help! My DS is responsible for planning and cooking for the next boyscout campout. He needs to make spaghetti for about 10 boys and 2-3 leaders.
I was thinking about two, one-pound boxes of noodles. Does that sound about right? Does anyone have an easy recipe for sauce that he could make at home and re-heat on the trip? How much sauce for this bunch?

TIA!

UMTerp

That sounds about right for spaghetti. Can he just buy the cans of premade sauce and use them? That is what our troop does. It is much easier. I would think about 3 cans, but should say how many servings on the back of the can. :sunny:

When my Dh was the troop leader, he was also the cook. I'm thinking that 2 boxes might be a little light. I've seen these kids really eat on these trips, and we used more than 2 boxes for the same size crowd. We used jar sauce too, and Dh used to make his "special" sauce for those who wanted to try it...was venison, and quite popular actually.

We also took a dutch oven if there was a campfire to cook on, and DH would make a "cake" with fruit pie filling and yellow cake mix for dessert. And apples for snacks. The kids loved to snack on the fruit, and it was easy to grap.

The other thing the kids loved was "package meals". They would have a potato cut up, boneless chicken breast and some veggie. They would package this up in double aluminum foil and throw it in the hot coals of the fire. The boys had to be responsible for theirs, and make sure they turned them often or they burned.

Just a couple of thoughts...

I would definitely do more pasta--I think 4 lbs, at minimum 3--they can get super hungry on those outdoor camp-outs, I'd rather err on having too much than not enough, and remember you have 3 adults too. I think I would do the jar sauce too, unless he has to make it to earn a badge. Then you could just fry up some onion and garlic in a little olive oil, add some crushed tomatoes and spices (basil, oregano, salt, pepper, parsley). I would probably use about 3 of the large cans of crushed tomatoes, a large onion and maybe 6 cloves of garlic. That would be enough I think for 3-4 lbs of pasta. Good luck!! He'll have a lot of fun.

My pound bag of pasta will serve 8, so 2 would serve 16. I might go with 3 depending on age of boys, how well they like to eat, whether they all like spaghetti, etc, but that will be a lot of pasta when it is cooked (never looks like enough before it is done, it seems.) What else will they have with it? Fruit, veggies, cookies or another kind of dessert? Remember that whatever they don't eat will probably get thrown away as they dpn't have the storage capabilities that we do at home.

I used to make 10 pouinds of pasta to serve about 75 track kids/coaches. That along with pickles, cheese, and veggiesand or fruit was just right. :sunny:

Thanks everyone! I don't know what else he plans to serve. I'll have to find out. It sounds like 3 pounds of noodles would be better. I'll see if he can use canned/jar sauce or not!

I appreciate your help!

UMTerp

I am a Girl Scout leader and when we have about that size of a group I noticed they tend to eat more, too, especially if they do a strenuous activity. That's why we tend to add to the meal, like add a bunch of meatballs (precooked and frozen then reheated), salad and dressing, and French bread. Then again that would also mean bringing these things along which could be challenging.

Dump cake would be perfect or even s'mores would be a perfect dessert. Yummmm!

:wizard:

I would up the amount of spagetti. If they are hiking or something like that, than no doubt will be hungrier than usual.

For sauce I usually make my own. Its easier and cheaper than buying jar.

I use
3 of the big cans of tomatoe puree,
3 tomatoe sauce
1 can of tomatoe paste
2 to 3 teaspoons of sugar (because the puree is bitter)
salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder to taste. Simmer 5 hours at least.

Can package in ziplocks and freeze and then take them camping.

I usually cook for 2 hours, add meatballs and sausage and then cook for at least 3 to 4 more hours.

You are getting plenty of good advice here. I'd suggest pre-cooking some ground beef or meatballs to add to the sauce. The meat will stretch it a little further and hungry boys will like having meat. French bread might be another thought.

I'd lean more towards 4 pounds of pasta as well, even the pickiest eaters will eat plain spaghetti

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!