Space Mountain Question

hjssk8

<font color=darkorchid>Once I started I couldn't s
For those of you that have ridden Space Mountain at DL, what are the ride vehicles like as far as how riders are seated? Side by side or single? DD is tall enough to ride. Something tells me she will want to ride though it is in the dark. Thanks.

Holly

One month and 15 days until I head to DL for vacation! :cool1: :banana:

The seats are side by side and I believe min height is 48" inches. It is dark inside with the illusion that you are riding in a galaxy.

It's a cool ride.

Good luck! and have fun :flower:

The seats are indeed side by side, and the minimum height is 40"

Thank you for answering. DD is almost 44" tall now and she's only almost 5yrs. old. She wanted to ride last year at WDW, but she was too short for their height requirement.

What ages of kids do you think would like this ride? I haven't done it in years and I"m afraid my kids will be terrified. They are 8 and 5 and just this last spring rode Matterhorn, BTMRR, Haunted Mansion for the first time. They were scared at first but once we got off they wanted to go on over and over again.

BTW, they were so upset in It's Tough to be A Bug that we took them out absolutely hysterical! They asked us why we did that to them? :rotfl2:

Thanks,
kelly

My oldest first rode Space when he was 4, but he rides EVERYTHING and has always been like that. I don't think he was even 4 when he rode Matterhorn and BTMRR!

My youngest on the other hand is going to be 7 this year and won't ride it. He's my little chicken :teeth: He won't ride TOT either. But he LOVES Haunted Mansion & POTC, they've been riding both of those before they could walk.

It's basically, a depends on the kid thing. If yours like the coasters(matterhorn and BTMRR) AND can handle the dark they should be fine.

I guess that's what I'm worried about- the dark. I'm not sure they can handle that. Thanks for the response dsnylndmom.

On a side note, my parents took my sister and I on Space Mountain the year or two after it opened. I must have been 8 or 9 and my sister was 6 or 7. We bawled our heads off!! I remember my dad telling me it was a nice, slow ride and was supposed to be sooooo cool. Yeah, right! I laugh about it now, but I don't want to do that to my kids. It didn't ruin our trip or anything- it just freaked us out! :earseek:

I have a sidebar question to tag team with this one. For those of you who have ridden both, how does SM at DL compare to the one at WDW? I am looking forward to getting to ride it in a couple of weeks and can't wait. Thanks for any info.

Our DD and DS, 6 1/2 and 4 1/2 ride all of the coaster rides and love them all.

Like others, neither of them like ITTBAB.

Our DS also did not want to go back on Saorin or Tower of Terror, and the reasons just remind me how real these things are to children ... it wasn't the speed, drops, flight, etc ... he did not want to go on Soarin becaue he was afraid he would be hit by fireworks at the end, and did not want to go on TOT because of the part where everybody disappears.

Although it is dark, there are twinkle lights everywhere so it isn't completely black.

I think it just depends on the child. My niece is currently 6 and has been to disneyland 5 times already (going again in October). She LOVES the Matterhorn (went on it for the first time at 4) and Tower of Terror (rode it 7 times last December!!). This year she will finally get to go on Space and Indiana Jones and she cannot wait. She is a little daredevil!

bubba73 said:
I have a sidebar question to tag team with this one. For those of you who have ridden both, how does SM at DL compare to the one at WDW? I am looking forward to getting to ride it in a couple of weeks and can't wait. Thanks for any info.

DL's SM is much, much better than WDW's SM. Smoother, better music, just an awesome ride at DL :)

tlovesdis said:
I think it just depends on the child. My niece is currently 6 and has been to disneyland 5 times already (going again in October). She LOVES the Matterhorn (went on it for the first time at 4) and Tower of Terror (rode it 7 times last December!!). This year she will finally get to go on Space and Indiana Jones and she cannot wait. She is a little daredevil!
I agree. You could have two children of the same age with one loving the ride while the other screaming their head off! The weird thing with my sister and I is I loved all the thrill rides and she didn't. And she's older! It took her awhile to get her on them without crying. She was scared of the HM while I was just wide-eyed and curious. Or she cried on POTC because she was afraid of boats. Now, she'll go on anything with me, or just last Thursday, I convinced her to go on Maliboomer because she didn't like the idea of being thrown like a sling shot!

We were up at DL yesterday and this little girl was screaming like a banshee in line for Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin. In line, mind you! They didn't make it to the ride yet and the poor baby was terrified! She was definitely toddler age, kicking and screaming in her father's arms. I kept rolling my eyes, wishing her parents would take her out. I realize they want to ride the attraction, but they have to show some respect for their children's feelings. When we first got in line, a mom was exiting because the daughter was scared. The father was near us with the son and both didn't look too thrilled to leave the ride. Just so everyone knows, the ride probably is too scary for children, including the wait in line! You go through very dark areas that look like creepy streets of Toon Town.

Oh, yeah, and as for Space Mountain, again it really depends on the child. I loved it at 8 or 9 years old, or I don't remember the exact age I was. Under 10, I had to be, and I thought it was awesome. Over the years, I've seen many changes in the ride with new strobe lights, flashy effects, strange synchronized music, and a smoother run on the tracks. It's really wonderful, but it might be very intense for some children.

bubba73 said:
The new SM at DL is WAY better than WDW! It is my new favorite ride, and roller coasters usually freak me out.

I just rode the one in DW a couple of weeks ago. You don't sit side by side, you sit one in front of another. A CM we were talking to said the one in Dl is much cooler and they should close down the one in DW and redo it.

How wide are the seats in the SM in DL? I'm wondering how they can fit two seats on a track made for single file seating. Would it be a tight squeeze for a heavy person?

WickedWench said:
How wide are the seats in the SM in DL? I'm wondering how they can fit two seats on a track made for single file seating. Would it be a tight squeeze for a heavy person?

The Dl version of SM has always had side by side seating. Only the WDW version is single file.

I am 5"4 and a size 26/28 and I fit fine on SM!

tlovesdis said:
The Dl version of SM has always had side by side seating. Only the WDW version is single file.

I am 5"4 and a size 26/28 and I fit fine on SM!

Ah, I didn't know that! Thanks, that's a relief. :>

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter