Space Mountain is Down until 2005

Uncle Buck

I want to go back to my fish and poi
Space Mountain did not open today and the story is that it is not expected to reopen until 2005. All of the video games from Starcade were being removed today. Looks like the long-awaited big rehab is underway.

Not much left to head for Tomorrowland for.

Supposedly getting it ready for the big 50th anniversary celebration in 2005!

It had better be one SPECTACULAR ride in 2005 to be down for TWO YEARS! :eek:

:confused: **CONFUSED** :confused:
I know it is going down for an extensive refurbishment, but it was my understanding that it was not until after labor day.

I just looked at DL website and under schedule for June, attractions closed said "...Castle-walkway Space Mountain" I'm not sure if the castle is closed or a walkway to the castle, a walkway to Space Mountain or Space Mountain, but, I'm afraid Space Mountain is a no go for us in June. OH NO!!!

<font color=navy>When I talked to Guest Relations yesterday, I was told that they didn't even know that Space Mtn was going to be closed.

I'm really looking forward to the new revamped ride! :)

There seems to be a story that overnight insepctions found some major problems. These could have been fixed at a high cost in a short period of time but Disney, knowing the attraction was going down in September didn't want to waste money fixing something that was going to be torn out. The inside of Space mountain will be gutted completely and a new coaster built inside. This is supposedlt the same track layout with all new technology, new queue, new pre show and new theming. It is suppose to be rfor the Disneyland 50th Anniv. The down time is 18-24 months and they would like to have it ready for the beggining of the celebration, not the end.

There's actually speculation that the down time will be more likely 24-28 months --- and the rumblings are that is even an overly optimistic estimate.

Because this was sudden and 4-5 months early, none of the demolition or construction contracts are in place. So although it's closed, work is not feverishly starting on it today. They are apparently scrambling now to at least get the demolition bids in and a contract signed so that SM won't sit idle toooooo long without work being done on it.

A friend of mine told me that they went to Disneyland that day, and went to Space Mountain. They were told the ride was closed.

"How long will it be closed? Will it open later?"

The answer . . . "Two Years!"

"What? The ride closed for two years, just this morning?"

Shrugg!

Talk about poor timing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter