Southwest short connection at BWI

Marylander here...

I fly SWA out of BWI twice a month so I'm very familiar. You should know that while BWI isn't terribly large for an international airport, SWA IS the largest carrier that flies out of BWI (hub) and as such, flies out of both A and B pier. A&B are connected in the middle making one long pier on the western portion of the airport. If you have to switch planes, it is not unheard of to have to go from A1 to B2 which is about as far of a connection as you can possibly get at BWI. :eek:

My advice? Print the map. Go to www .bwiairport.com/files/pdfs/bwi_maps/TMG-Upper_Sum10a.pdf

When you are on your incoming flight and the flight attendants are announcing your connecting gate over the in-flight loudspeaker, quickly figure out where you are going. And if you only have 35 minutes to go from A1 to B2, RUN! :thumbsup2

it is not unheard of to have to go from A1 to B2 which is about as far of a connection as you can possibly get at BWI.
I'm a Southwest pilot based at BWI and A1 and B2 are the closest of the A and B gates. The farthest apart are A10/A11 and B15 and normally we plan on 20 minutes to go between the two. If you want to be comfortable with a connection at BWI, especially if you have an A boarding pass for the 2nd flight, I would plan on a 45 minute connect at BWI. That would allow you to go between the farthest gates and be there for boarding 25 minutes prior to departure. A 30 minute connect will still make the flight, you just will be boarding with the Cs.

Thanks for clarifying, Jayhawk. As soon as I posted my husband said, "Uh, I think you typed that backwards. A1 is right at the middle."

So much for my attention to detail. :confused3 I've been making the BWI-LGA trip too long. Its becoming automatic.

Jayhawk--I've never flown through BWI, but I'm glad that your standout airline reinstated nonstop service from LAX/BWI; I'm planning on visitng the Northeast later this year, so that inside tip of yours and map were very much appreciated.

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter