Southwest April 2018

Did the prices go down last year?

Last year, after flights opened up around 6:30a the prices went way up within minutes. Prices started in high $200's then jumped way up to the $300's + and stayed that way for a while. Many legs were sold out right away. I was checking prices constantly, looking for a price drop. I initially paid around $700-800 pp (just typing that out makes me feel queasy) RT Sat-Sat nonstop. After stalking SW, I was able to get a slight price drop on one leg of our flight, leaving the Fri vs Sat. I was able to get prices for roughly $630 pp. The whole thing was so stressful last year! This year I noticed many more flights available compared to last year. Fingers crossed for a price drop.

Last year, after flights opened up around 6:30a the prices went way up within minutes. Prices started in high $200's then jumped way up to the $300's + and stayed that way for a while. Many legs were sold out right away. I was checking prices constantly, looking for a price drop....

That can happen. But, I've seen the reverse happen also, especially if other airlines compete on the same route (PHL-MCO, in my case). On one of my recent trips, I booked Southwest fairly early on "opening day". Later that same day I noticed a drop on my outbound flight -- I think the reason was that American responded to Southwest's release by lowering their fares, so Southwest responded by matching that. I don't think this happens too often, but its a good idea to recheck fares later in the day if you book early on release day.

:sad: Those are our dates 14-22.... these were cheaper than last year? Oh sticker shock for sure.... I've always gone when I could get a deal....rarely when I was restricted by schedules....ah well! The flights we booked rose by $100 each within a few hours...... the first flight out was sold out at 6:20 when I first looked,how is that possible?
What people have said in the past is that the flights are not really sold out, they do release more seats or release more WGA fares in the future. Could just be managing the flight, see how many they can sell at the higher tiers before releasing more WGA fares. Although I will say for my 2016 flight they never released more WGA seats. Bottom line, just keep checking.

What people have said in the past is that the flights are not really sold out, they do release more seats or release more WGA fares in the future. Could just be managing the flight, see how many they can sell at the higher tiers before releasing more WGA fares. Although I will say for my 2016 flight they never released more WGA seats. Bottom line, just keep checking.
OOOH my bro is going to be so mad if that happens, he used a cc for the flights home,he was concerned about rising prices that day and a family of 5 to get home(went from 239 to 353 now!) Maybe I won't mention it to him if that happens....:eek:

OOOH my bro is going to be so mad if that happens, he used a cc for the flights home,he was concerned about rising prices that day and a family of 5 to get home(went from 239 to 353 now!) Maybe I won't mention it to him if that happens....:eek:
You will be fine, fares dont seem to go down after initial release, I was responding more to the "sold out" issue. But understandable the concern with a family of 5 that increase is pretty expensive.

Newark prices are holding at $92 each way, they seem to have trouble getting Newark passengers to take SW to MCO, they are down to 2 nonstops a day. A year ago, our flights were not even full by a long shot. Lately they have been full but fares holding somewhat low. My daughter got $50 each way in January, there were $60 flights in February. I am happy with $92.

Flights may not just drop, but they sometimes do with a sale.

It may be $50 less for one because there may only be a 1 or 2 left at that price and then it jumps. One time I had to book 2 at the lower price and then 3 at the higher price. If I put in for all 5, it only showed the higher price.

whaaa .. I got up early yesterday for the SWA new schedule release

it was 3am PST [6am EST] The amount for the dates I chose .. are still the same today.

The only thing I got for my early wake up is I know what I would have missed = nothing.

Probably my fault .. I called SWA to book .. when the loading process was wonkey.

It showed the extended date but there was no way to access it [I tried 3 or 4 times]

It was a interesting chat with the SWA Rep .. I was half a sleep.

me .. beaucoup dee da dee

Last edited:

For the 2 flights I was looking at, the entire flight was sold out, not just the WGA fares. I really can't believe they sold 2 entire flights completely on day 1. Seems implausible. But I guess anything is possible.

For the 2 flights I was looking at, the entire flight was sold out, not just the WGA fares. I really can't believe they sold 2 entire flights completely on day 1. Seems implausible. But I guess anything is possible.
That does seem strange, the odds of that many people booking as soon as they are released 8 months in advance just seems so slim.

I think they just do it to steer people toward other flights. Same for me yesterday, only non stops available. Flights with a layover showed as sold out. I think is is more efficient to have people on non stops than changing planes.

I think they just do it to steer people toward other flights. Same for me yesterday, only non stops available. Flights with a layover showed as sold out. I think is is more efficient to have people on non stops than changing planes.

I agree except the only 2 flights sold out for me WERE the non-stops..... hmmmmm... what kind of game is SW playing :rotfl2:

I agree except the only 2 flights sold out for me WERE the non-stops..... hmmmmm... what kind of game is SW playing :rotfl2:

This happened to me as well. The same flight over multiple days was shown as sold at all prices from day 1. Either the flight isn't loaded in the system or the flight is coming from another city and the plane is full by the time it would have reached my city.

That does seem strange, the odds of that many people booking as soon as they are released 8 months in advance just seems so slim.

So here is something to ponder....Just checked and one of the flights that was completely sold out now has tickets in all 3 fares. To quote C&C Music Factory "Things that make you go hmmm....":scratchin

I'll just keep my fingers crossed that these are still available when my miles post in 2 weeks!:crazy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter