Southwest April 2018

Flights out of Boston for April vacation week have been so high ($530+) that I thought my only hope was Southwest, but I'm glad we just booked on Allegiant from Newburgh to Sanford Orlando for $237 RT vs. $320 at the lowest on SW out of Boston. There are six of us, so it's a big cost savings, and the location actually works out better for us because a few of the kids are in CT so we just swing by and pick them up! Glad my mom told me about Allegiant.

ETA that our Allegiant flights are direct! Definitely a good choice if you're not using DME.

Last edited:
We go the following week and it was pricey, but that is our vacation week so we know we have to pay.

It's our vacation week, too, and my family in VA had many options under $250 RT but it was $530+ for us out of BOS, PVD or PSM. We're flying Allegiant from Newburgh for under $250. We have to pick up my boyfriend's kids in CT so it works out for us, but even if we weren't I'd probably make the drive for direct tix less than half the price of what's been listed over the past few months.

You'll love Providence - the airport is so small and so easy! We live closer to Bradley (35 - 40 minute drive vs. a bit over an hour to Providence) but often fly out of Providence. Tip: use curbside check-in for SW - often little to no wait, versus getting in line inside.
Thank you Sharon. Flight times were so much better at Providence and with non-stop direct flights, I could not pass it up. Our kids look at it as an adventure too so it will be good. Bradley for us is about 20-25 min drive so that is convenient, but I'll take the extra hour drive for the savings and better take-off and landing times I am getting at Providence.

I booked out of Nashville April 24th to May1st $89 going down an only $67 coming home. Checked again for my son and his family and they have gone up already!

I just bought tickets for the 5 of us. Roughly $2500 RT nonstop during NE spring break in April :scared:. These are crazy prices, but last year was way more stressful. Last year, tickets were in the $350-400 (each leg) price range when SW first opened. I was up before 6am last year. This year I forgot and got on the computer around 9am. Still a decent selection of flights available, but prices are high at $250-350 each leg. I'm hoping for a price drop, they have a ton of flights and at least 4-5 non stops. I'm surprised there are so many flights since this year I've noticed a drop in the amount of flights, esp non stops to FL.

I just bought tickets for the 5 of us. Roughly $2500 RT nonstop during NE spring break in April :scared:. These are crazy prices, but last year was way more stressful. Last year, tickets were in the $350-400 (each leg) price range when SW first opened. I was up before 6am last year. This year I forgot and got on the computer around 9am. Still a decent selection of flights available, but prices are high at $250-350 each leg. I'm hoping for a price drop, they have a ton of flights and at least 4-5 non stops. I'm surprised there are so many flights since this year I've noticed a drop in the amount of flights, esp non stops to FL.
Did the prices go down last year?

Our Spring Break is early this year so I think I lucked out. Although I remember paying $1,200 last year round trip and we were flying out of Bradley

Much better this time around than my experience for Spring vacation 2016. Was up early, the schedule was available by 6:20am. I could have done better price wise if I was more organized and knew how to redeem the points better. It is difficult having to do four separate bookings for the flight down and the flight back. The prices did rise quickly, about $50 within a few minutes. Flying out of Providence, Leaving Wed 4/11 midday nonstop, that flight was about $117 for two fares by the time I did my daughters it was up to about $140. Flying back Friday 4/20 late afternoon nonstop, flights were about $317, they were as low as $245 if I had been quicker. The flight I chose is already showing WGA being sold out. I had points so only ended up paying $600 total for the four of us. I did look at the flights from Saturday to Saturday, 4/14 to 4/21 to compare to two years ago, and it was slightly cheaper this year, looks like it is about $750 round trip for each. That is morning nonstop on the way down, and midday nonstop on the way back.
It does help to post what flights you are booking for price comparisons, since there are huge differences in prices depending on the time of day you are going.

Much better this time around than my experience for Spring vacation 2016. Was up early, the schedule was available by 6:20am. I could have done better price wise if I was more organized and knew how to redeem the points better. It is difficult having to do four separate bookings for the flight down and the flight back. The prices did rise quickly, about $50 within a few minutes. Flying out of Providence, Leaving Wed 4/11 midday nonstop, that flight was about $117 for two fares by the time I did my daughters it was up to about $140. Flying back Friday 4/20 late afternoon nonstop, flights were about $317, they were as low as $245 if I had been quicker. The flight I chose is already showing WGA being sold out. I had points so only ended up paying $600 total for the four of us. I did look at the flights from Saturday to Saturday, 4/14 to 4/21 to compare to two years ago, and it was slightly cheaper this year, looks like it is about $750 round trip for each. That is morning nonstop on the way down, and midday nonstop on the way back.
It does help to post what flights you are booking for price comparisons, since there are huge differences in prices depending on the time of day you are going.

Our return flight price jumped $50 within minutes and we weren't fast enough! We also used points but that is the most points I've ever used to book flights. However, we are traveling Sunday midday and returning Monday late morning (landing in NH around 3) of school break. also non-stops. Had we chosen Tues-Tues flights it would have been $100 less each person so we paid more than last year. But hubs keeps telling me you pay for the day/time too and that's one less day of missed work, missed school and an extra night/day of vacation than if we were to do tues-tues.

Our return flight price jumped $50 within minutes and we weren't fast enough! We also used points but that is the most points I've ever used to book flights. However, we are traveling Sunday midday and returning Monday late morning (landing in NH around 3) of school break. also non-stops. Had we chosen Tues-Tues flights it would have been $100 less each person so we paid more than last year. But hubs keeps telling me you pay for the day/time too and that's one less day of missed work, missed school and an extra night/day of vacation than if we were to do tues-tues.
Definitely a lot of things to consider when booking mid-week. I have some flexibility because I am self employed, so being the boss I can go whenever I want, lol (not!). Taking the kids out of school is the other consideration. We dont do that often, so a couple of days will not be bad and they are still fairly young, 8 and 11 that they will not get too far behind. But it is great to post the differences so people researching it can determine if it will work for them. I also realize that I will have a head start on the ADR and FP reservations over the people that wait for the weekends, so that is a little bonus. But dont worry I will leave some FP available for Robinson Treehouse;)

I posted on the SW board too, but I check flights again and for our departure date 5/4 to PHL 2 of the 3 non-stop flights are completely sold out! Not just WGA but every fare is sold out. What gives??

We also booked out of NH. I would have saved doing Tuesday to Tuesday too but then my son misses 2 days. We opted to leave Friday for Sunday. I figure missing the day before vacation is okay. I really expected the flights to be so much higher! Such a relief!

We also booked out of NH. I would have saved doing Tuesday to Tuesday too but then my son misses 2 days. We opted to leave Friday for Sunday. I figure missing the day before vacation is okay. I really expected the flights to be so much higher! Such a relief!

curious how you did for pricing/times from NH. We are 8 nights flying Sunday to Monday (missing first day back). $156 down and $203 back (I wasn't fast enough to get the $156 back which I think I saw but may have been imagining things). We've always done Tues-Tues but the older they get, it's so much harder to miss more school. Those Tuesday flights and times looked so much better though. However, when I looked at JetBlue out of Boston-those prices are like $868 per person round trip.

we like doing the day before the vacation because its usually a early release day anyway! last year we did the monday to monday and missed the first day back. one day is doable, any more is a freak out.

curious how you did for pricing/times from NH. We are 8 nights flying Sunday to Monday (missing first day back). $156 down and $203 back (I wasn't fast enough to get the $156 back which I think I saw but may have been imagining things). We've always done Tues-Tues but the older they get, it's so much harder to miss more school. Those Tuesday flights and times looked so much better though. However, when I looked at JetBlue out of Boston-those prices are like $868 per person round trip.

I know the jet blue flights for the same time were crazy. I remember pricing them for the same dates we booked for $4500 and delta was right up there! I much rather fly from Manchester then Boston though.

We have a Friday at 11:40am nonstop flight down and then the 10:35 am nonstop flight home on Sunday. The prices were $203 each way. I luckily had points so even with adding the early bird check in, I paid $600 for 4 of us.

I know the jet blue flights for the same time were crazy. I remember pricing them for the same dates we booked for $4500 and delta was right up there! I much rather fly from Manchester then Boston though.

We have a Friday at 11:40am nonstop flight down and then the 10:35 am nonstop flight home on Sunday. The prices were $203 each way. I luckily had points so even with adding the early bird check in, I paid $600 for 4 of us.
Yes, we had points too and we did the early bird too! We are also taking the 11:40am nonstop down but on Sunday and I think the return is at 12:20 so it will be perfect. I LOVE Manchester. It's just so easy. We are usually on the early flight down there around 7am but I think the choice was 6am this time and that was not happening! The 7am was hard enough and then we felt completely exhausted all day. This will be good. Room should be ready upon arrival too which is nice!

I am thrilled with our flights. Decided on Albany rather than BDL and scored $108 for non stop on Jet Blue on 4/11 (Wednesday) last week. This morning got flights home MCO to ALB on Saturday 4/21 for $98 plus EBCI, and booked on points.

:sad: Those are our dates 14-22.... these were cheaper than last year? Oh sticker shock for sure.... I've always gone when I could get a deal....rarely when I was restricted by schedules....ah well! The flights we booked rose by $100 each within a few hours...... the first flight out was sold out at 6:20 when I first looked,how is that possible?

I have seen the completely sold out flights on day 1 from PHL to MCO before, specifically LAST spring. My only guess is that a group has the whole flight on hold somehow, like a college team and their traveling group? Because it makes no sense, unless they feel it is a flight they may cancel all together. Last spring it was several days in a ROW though.

I booked my April trip, Newark to MCO nonstops are $92 each way. April 22-29, after the spring break rush I think. It is Sunday to Sunday, so I am doubtful it will drop, but will look, booked on points. Newark sucks mostly because they use Terminal A which is very old and outdated, but whatever. (I prefer PHL, even though EWR is closer to me by 1/2 hour, but $$ talks!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter