SouthAlabama5er's Pre Trip & Trip Report 2/14 - 2/21

I see the shorts and t-shirt on your boy. Just to make you feel better, it snowed 4 inches here over night. 10-12 just north of here. Wednesday it is going down below zero. I opened the drawer with my shorts in it. They said, "don't even think about it."

Looks like a great time.

j

Teamubr, I hate your dealing with the cold, I got the shivers just thinking about that.

Ed, we love the weather this time of year, but so far there is more people, hopefully like you said they we be clearing out some tomorrow and Wednesday. I'll see how it goes, but if we can do Disney in July we are up for Disney any time.

Great TR so far :)

It's not the barbed wire internet that is so slow (actually, the hogwire was faster...), it's the fact that I have to wait for my neighbors here at the complex to get done with it first so I can use it.

Actually, being last has its advantages. Usually our gas prices are the cheapest in the country, mainly because nobody with an internal combustion engine wants to come here. Our weather is usually less stormy, because even the storms have standards. We are the best at camping, mainly because a lot of us live in campers full time. Our cost of living is the cheapest in the country, I mean, come on, a box of shotgun shells only cost about $8 and you can feed a family of 4 for about 2 months on that.

But, at least the largest river in the country is named after us...
or, is it that we were named after the river?

We are a favorite tourist destination for a lot of things...
like mosquitoes, opossums, woodpeckers (imagine that), people who have chionophobia (I is educated), and people who are seeking to commit suicide by boredom (quick death in this state).

Here's a photo I took this past November on my way back home from Fort Wilderness...

Oh, and for anybody taking offense to this, get in line...I live here. It's my "dead last in everything" state. Me and my cousin (I mean my wife), are proud of it.

P.S.
Hey Ed, you look up Chionophobia yet?

As a Magnolia State gal, this had me laughing my cornbread fed butt off!!!

Last edited:
20150216_212840_zpsnomaynpn.jpg

A nice night for Beaches and Cream, my favorite place for dessert.

Changed plans for tomorrow, due to a good chance of rain we are going to go to EPCOT tomorrow instead of MK. We want to have a whole day at MK without rain. (Note to self, roll up the awning tonight, don't need and Tiggerdad mishaps!)

Well AK was full of folks today. All and all it was a good day, we rode the safari bus, did some Meet and Greets with the Mickey and his friends, seen the Nemo Show, rode EE.

20150216_142557_zps0bhsydhe.jpg

20150216_142648_zpspxzpgvdv.jpg

20150216_142509_zpsppwicjkd.jpg

20150216_164956_zps3hcmjzyf.jpg

Back at the Fort I seen a few empty sites, and seen some campers pulling out, MK tomorrow, but now I'm grilling some pork chops for supper. The weather was great today, was a shade warmer than yesterday. I few gnats out this evening helping me grill...
20150216_185125_zpserpl9fwf.jpg

Love the first picture of your son, See Mickey has a problem there with his right foot (left in the pic) ouch that hurts !! Like the outdoor kitchen.

Changed plans for tomorrow, due to a good chance of rain we are going to go to EPCOT tomorrow instead of MK. We want to have a whole day at MK without rain. (Note to self, roll up the awning tonight, don't need and Tiggerdad mishaps!)

Yeah...that was a bad one. It was a learning experience for sure.

Hey Ed, we did the Fort in June and it was pretty nice. Crowded in the parks, but the Fort was great. Probably will end up doing it again since it was a tough time for my oldest missing school for that week in November.

Hey Ed, we did the Fort in June and it was pretty nice. Crowded in the parks, but the Fort was great. Probably will end up doing it again since it was a tough time for my oldest missing school for that week in November.

I hear ya T-dad. I must be a little older than you because "back in the day" we could take the kids out of school and travel off-season like Randy is now. Once the oldest hit middle school, those days were over. That's why I have so many March/April trips (spring break or a school band trip), May (after Memorial Day once school was out), or November (Thanksgiving) and December (after out for Christmas break) trips in my signature. Of course the January date recently was "no kids" to run. So I've been trapped by the school calendar for the most part.

Although hope is on the horizon. The last kid will finish high screwel soon and I will be free to travel off-season again with Mrs. Bama Ed (SheWhoMustBeObeyed). But I have ALWAYS avoided the hot summer months at Disney....just because.

Randy it looks like our cold weather is headed your way in Orlando. Better make sure the furnace or heat pump is fired up in that humungous trailer of yours.

Bama Ed

Well the bad weather predicted for Central Alabama stayed to the north and grazed Huntsville a little. So just cold and wet here but glad to hear you are having good weather.

Bama Ed

Yeah, we took all that awesome weather and kept it here in Nashville. Ugh.

I'm headed to the mouse in 24 days. I'm glad it wasn't yesterday. They cancelled every single Southwest flight out of here.

Enjoying the TR 5er. Living vicariously through you!

Ed,

We have a very similar vacation history. I did throw in a couple of February trips when an annual conference was in Orlando. My DW and DS flew down to meet me for a long weekend. My DS is a Sophomore now, so 2 more years of the "summer/holiday only" schedules. Can't wait.

And everybody east of the Rockies bundle up. We are going below zero Thursday morning. That used to happen a couple of times a winter, but not much lately. Good news is our local weather person said this may be the last big push of winter for the season. I can only hope.

j

Well today was a washout, started off heading out on the ferry to the Contemporary for breakfast at Chef Mickey's, then hopped on the monorail to the TC and then off to EPCOT. We rode Spaceship Earth, Nemo, Living off the Land and check this out J Paul from Swamp People rode in the same boat as us. I didn't wanna bug him for a photo, he had his little girl asleep in his arms. Test Track had a 140 min. wait so that was a no go along with the 110 min. wait for Soaring. Seen alot of folks wearing Mardi Gras themed shirts and alot of LSU shirts. I greeted them with the standard "Roll Tide." They laughed and say Beaux Tigers.

20150217_164503_zpsshfwbp94.jpg

Made around World Showcase to the America section and the sky's opened up,
20150217_165219_zpshbgyypyn.jpg

20150217_165212_zpsrwelrajm.jpg

So after a late lunch we made our way out, Test Track was down because of rain. So we boarding the monorail and headed back to the Contemporary to the ferry back to the Fort. Did some mudding in the cart on the way to the camper. HS tomorrow, hopefully this rain moves out over night.

We, had Mardi Gras break at home and my wife is a 1st grade teacher so that the only reason we booked this time of year, we were talking earlier next year she's just going to take some personal days and pull DW out of school and come the 1st week of February.

Ed, I seen the weather forecast and yea I have to 10 gallon tanks full of propane. It was windy here today, I'm glad I wasn't towing this big "sail" today! I might would of chewed a hole in my seat!! Haha:rotfl2:

BTW walked 14,209 steps today which is a alitte over 7 miles,

Last edited:
Thanks for the update.

Hopefully the crowds will die down tomorrow and the sun will shine for ya.

Please tell me Jay Paul was wearing something other than a black tank top.

Our vacation ran a few days into the first week in Feb and the weather and crowds were good. Seemed like the last week in January & first week in February are the lower key times.

We plan Jan 15 - Feb 15 next year.

sounds like your having a great time so far sorry for the rain and cold weather coming in never a good way to leave florida....lol I"ll be heading in in tomorrow morning. what app are you using to count your steps?

Thanks Ryan

Be glad you are down there this week Randy. Tell your friend they are giving us 17 degrees for a low tonight here in Meridian. By Mississippi standards that is "arctic".

Be glad you are down there this week Randy. Tell your friend they are giving us 17 degrees for a low tonight here in Meridian. By Mississippi standards that is "arctic".
This is cold for you guys. Going below zero around StL tonight. Looks like the Fort is going below freezing tomorrow night... And then they are in the 70s on Saturday and 80s on Sunday. Wish StL weather rebounded like that.

j

Yea it's cold here this evening, I was going to grill again but it's too cold for me, sitting here at TE waiting on a pizza. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't blowing. Bet there won't be many people on the beach watching the fireworks and EWP tonight. I need to look at the weather and see how cold is supposed to get here, I wonder if they fill propane tanks here in case I run out, I don't think I will.

Crowd was about normal today at HS, I see that Mickey's hat is almost gone. Hard to think about typing my update with the smell of fried chicken floating in the air. I'm glad we have reservations here at TE tomorrow night!

WESH news says 35 tonight and 30 tomorrow for you. Weather Channel has it a few degrees colder tomorrow, I think. Either way, pretty cold for a mouse.

TE table service will be much nicer than trying to grill at the camper.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter