Somewhat disappointed with my first trip home to AKV

One thing you said I agree with so much! I'd love to see the walk between Kidani and Jambo be more interesting, less like just walking on a sidewalk by a parking lot. Let's face it-lots of people walk between the two resorts-for swimming, eating, etc. I can't believe they didn't plan a themed walkway( I was about to say "more" themed, but that would falsely assume that the present walkway has some theming involved). It reminds me of walking thru the parking lot at the mall!

It was a short trip, Sun 8/12 to Tue 8/14. We stayed in a 1 bedroom at Jambo house. We had seen the Kidani 1BR model and I had forgotten that the rooms at Jambo were lets say less luxorious. My thoughts after this trip as on owner are that they didn't get this one right. Both Jambo and kidani have their pluses and minuses. Unfortunately if you could push the two resorts together you would have the ultimate DVC property. Jambo is georgeous. But, the rooms are smaller and some are showing there age. Kidani is also georgeous but the pool is to small and if your kids are older than 12, the are way to small for the interactive pool area. Kidani was pitched as having a pool to rival stormalong bay. It is not even close. The gift/food store at kidani is so small. It was a major disappointment. The walk from Jambo to Kidani is boring and unattractive. You are pretty much walking through the parking lot. It would have been better to put the pool on the Jambo side of Kidani. That would have made the walk alot shorter. I hate to say it but I wish my addon had been BLT. Remember this is JMHO.
I'm confused. Is this a report from LAST August?? Why did you wait so long? Okay, it looks like you may have put wrong dates in and actually meant 7/12-7/14 instead of 8/12-8/14. Were you in a value? That would be significantly smaller and less "[luxurious]" if that's what you think.

I do think the "showing [their] age" comment may come from less than stellar housekeeping. We found this to be an issue when we stayed at Jambo in January.

As for the walk from Jambo to Kidani being boring....Once that vegatation grows up, you wont feel that way so much. I do think the exterior of the end of Kidani that is nearest Jambo is pretty boring though. It looks to me like a Holiday Inn on that end, but the real lobby entrance is much nicer.

we stayed in jambo concierge for the first time (before we were dvc) about 6 or 7 yrs ago, and had to walk about a mile thru the halls to get to the elevator and go up to concierge. it was just fantastic and very expensive but we thought it was so great to have those beautiful animals at our windows.

we later stayed at the poly concierge which was also marvelous. then another yr we stayed at bc concierge, good but not as great. altho we love bc and still stay there sometime.

we then became dvc members. as soon as we knew akv was selling, we became founding members because that still remained our favorite. i have stayed dvc concierge at jambo in a studio and in a 2 br. and have loved it both times. :welcome:

i am going to spend a night in kidani on my next trip, and until then i can not say how i will feel about it.;)

i still feel as tho most dvcs are luxurious because my grandchildren got to old for us to all stay in one room together for a week and with dvc we can have more room to spread out. when i go alone or with just one other person, a studio is just great. paying for 2 completely separate rooms at rack price is too expensive.:rolleyes2

i will be staying in my 3rd home (blt) when i go this fall and i am sure that i will love it also. by the way, my 1st home is vwl. i love them all. each has a different feel. they have lots of pixiedust: all over them. if they ever build dvc at the poly then i will probably buy again. you can tell that i am a disney adict.

i think i just love dvc. it has been so great for my family.:goodvibes

I like Jambo it's nice and cozy and warm JMHO...and I will see what it's like in a few days at Kidani, but for the most part dont be disappointed I felt the first time @ SSR but looking back it was a great experience!

I haven't stayed @ AKV but we did visit in June. I was most interested in the animal views and the pool and the overall "feel" of the resort.

The lobby and room decor are just stunning, truly amazing! I thought the pool area was literally tiny and not at all what I was expecting. I had never heard anyone say it could rival SAB though, that was funny. The only thing it could be compared to is maybe one area of SAB and that would be a stretch IMHO.

The landscaping will mature and fill in the areas I saw that looked industrial. But having said that, there just seems to be something missing from Kidani as compared to Jambo. From what I saw (keeping in mind I didn't stay in a room there, just wandered the resort) it seemed like things that are logical (size of shops and lack of quick dining options) were not thought through enough. I could say the same for SSR as well, but liked SSR infinitely better than Kidani.

I also think they could have done something more grand for the pool @ BLT. I mean, it's ok, but with all that imaginerring talent, I think they're missing the boat on recent DVC resorts pools (BLT, SSR & AKV).

That said, there are many DVC options,and even though you own @ AKV and it may not be your favorite resort, you can always stay somewhere else you enjoy more! Different strokes for different folks, and Disney has something to please each and every one!:thumbsup2

Samawati Springs Pool is where it belongs. It is a nice pool but it's not very big. If you made it too convenient for Jambo house guests to go there, it would be swarming with people.

My thoughts exactly!
:thumbsup2

Hey, guys, I'm just calling them as I see them. Just my first impression.

But it leaves the AKV to all those who love it!! You won't have to worry about me taking your villa. ;)

And isn't that what DVC is all about anyway? Something for every one. Even the guys in the orange jumpsuits. :lmao:

Deb & Bill - I really appreciated your critical perspective (and other posters' comments). DH & I love AKL and have been hoping to add on AKV early next year. The critiques on the industrial appearance of parts and the Kidani pool have made me pause. We've never seen the villas or Kidani in person - I'm thinking we'll have to visit before jumping in to purchase.

Stayed at AKV during 4th of July week at Jambo House, concierge. Found a cockroach in the room on 2 of the days.

DW and DD are now totally freaked about ever staying there again.

Reported it when it happened, but that doesn't make it any better.

Stayed at AKV during 4th of July week at Jambo House, concierge. Found a cockroach in the room on 2 of the days.

What room #;)

Unfortunately , Florida does have bugs and they often hitch a ride with stored luggage or other items brought to the villas/rooms. Or they just might fly in via the balcony. It is the Animal Kingdom, right??;)

Deb & Bill - I really appreciated your critical perspective (and other posters' comments). DH & I love AKL and have been hoping to add on AKV early next year. The critiques on the industrial appearance of parts and the Kidani pool have made me pause. We've never seen the villas or Kidani in person - I'm thinking we'll have to visit before jumping in to purchase.

I walked to Kidani from Jambo in June. It will be awhile before the vegetation grows. I'm hoping the trees will provide shade because the in the heat of the summer, there was no relief! Kidani's pool was smaller than I expected. It wasn't crowded the day I walked over there. I liked how the Kidani lobby and CH looked. A "lighter" feel to the resort and "cozier" than Jambo.

I've learned from reading DIS and talking with my guide that if in doubt, better to visit the resort first before buying/adding on.

We had cockoaches in our Jambo room too. We were there in early May.
We have been to WDW 11 times and never saw a cockroach in any of our rooms before. The manager did admit to me that AKV does have a roach "issue".

Just curious... i mean.. you can't be that worried if you are returning there based on your signature indicating you are returning. :confused3:confused3

We stayed in Jambo, 1BR concierge Oct 08 and then a 1BR SV in Kidani last month. I have to say we LOVE both resorts.

Our stay in Jambo was very nice, the lobby is so impressive and concierge was a definite splurge.

Our room at Kidani though blew us away, the second bathroom was great with 3 kids. We had MANY animals to view at all times of day, there was a group of 5 giraffes that roamed and was outside our windows often. The under building parking was an absolute Godsend in the heat of June. The Community Hall there was also amazing. The lobby is smaller but I like that, it is much more intimate and quieter. We didn't have a need for anything in the shop so the size wasn't an issue for us. We also went to the grocery store so we had plenty of food/snacks in our room if need be. The pool area was never overly crowded and we were there a lot since it was 98-100 degrees every day. My kids also got a kick out of the trivia placards along the path to Jambo.

I'm so glad that DVC has many different kinds of resorts, it gives everyone a chance to stay somewhere they love.

One thing you said I agree with so much! I'd love to see the walk between Kidani and Jambo be more interesting, less like just walking on a sidewalk by a parking lot. Let's face it-lots of people walk between the two resorts-for swimming, eating, etc. I can't believe they didn't plan a themed walkway( I was about to say "more" themed, but that would falsely assume that the present walkway has some theming involved). It reminds me of walking thru the parking lot at the mall!

How cool would it be to have a plexiglass dome tunnel with a people mover taking you from JAMBO to KIDANI running straight down the middle of the sunset savahna. Hey, let me dream my little dream!!!

I haven't read throught this entire thread but :goodvibes to the OP. That must be quite disappointing. I agree that the walk from Kidani to Jambo has much to be desired. Like I said when we stayed at AKV and why we bought at SSR: AKV just doesn't cut it for us. It looks like they opened too soon, they finished the inside and missed the boat on the outside.

I loved our recent stay at Kidani. I know the pool is a little small but it never seemed crowded while we were there in June. I think the water slide there is my favorite on property. Loved Sanaa! I know I may be in the minority but I even like the look of the property and my one bedroom was awesome!:thumbsup2 My only complaint would be the lack of a DDP counter service option.

I completely agree with this. But I do think the pool will become more crowded when the rest of the rooms are opened. My 2BR was spectacular. I didn't really like the walk to Jambo House. I would have liked a continuous side walk and not having to cut through the parking lot. But that's just me and one of the reasons I own at SSR. Cause I like paths and sidewalks and things because I'm a runner.

i don't know if this was your first time home as a dvc member or just the first time home at akv.

my first time home as a new dvc owner was full of disappointments, mostly on the day of arrival.

everything that could possible go wrong did. i felt as tho i was being punished for being dvc member and the people involved
did not even know that i was.:headache:

i have since discovered that the pleasure of being a dvc owner (no mater what your home is) is coming to feel at home and comfortable with your ownership. i guess it is "taking ownership". after that feeling comes to you, you also realize that you have helped with the entire dvc program of building, grounds keeping and all of those other beautiful things. also that great feeling of going home and not having to pay for your room at the ck in time, (really great to know that you have already done that.) another great point is having extra rooms if you need them with out having to pay for a very expensive suite. i know that the points invovled did cost you a lot of money, but you did not have to pay it while on your vacation.:goodvibes

you can always make res. 7 mo out at a different resort and see if you like it better. we like some resorts at certain times of the year, so we go to several during the year. we think its fun to try them according to which park activities we are planning for that trip.;) after akv is a little older the grounds should look more mature and lush. that may help.

after 5 or 6 yrs of ownership and 3 homes. i love them more every time i go to wdw.:worship:

This brings me concern and excitement as I head to Kidani on my first stay this October. I did just have a friend return quite pleased though? Should be interesting.:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter