Some people ARE worth melting for ….. 40 Disney days – the trip of a lifetime updated October 10

Yikes, it has been a month since I last posted here ................

I will be back shortly with replies to your comments, but I have a little update on our trips .............

DLRP:
Believe it or not, we will be there in exactly two weeks - we leave here very early on Sunday morning, have a 4 hour stopover in Frankfurt and will arrive in Paris at around 1.30pm. Then to pick up a rental car and off we go to the Kyriad hotel for the first night. (Flights were a lot cheaper flying in on Sunday instead of Monday and I was not able to add on to our Disney resort stay without an upcharge (to the regular price - as ours is a special offer). We will most likely check out the Disney Village as we don't have tickets for that day.
Next day we move to hotel Santa Fe (kind of DLRP's value hotel) for 3 nights. After breakfast (included) at Kyriad we will drive straight over (5 minutes), pick up tickets and head to the park. You can easily walk from the hotel to the park in about 10 minutes and then we will enjoy the parks.
Not much dining planned as the menus have not changed, only prices have gone up and we were not happy with the quality of food those last few times we have been - guess we will have some CS and Earl of Sandwich or "in room" dining (picknick dinners from the grocery store).
We'll fly home late on Thursday.

WDW/DCL Aug/Sept 17
We have tweaked and changed our summer trip several times now and today I was able to book the last part of it and at least the hotels are all set.
This is it:
We'll fly in on the 22nd and I had booked the Clarion (Lake Buena Vista) for the first night. Then, as time progressed and the timetable for August was available I found out the Epcot has EMHs on our arrival night. Only chance to get there is if we stay closeby. So when our DVC window opened I sat there at 2pm (8am EST) and tried to hit the jackpot in scoring a BCV room for that one night - NO such thing. By the time it went through the room was gone and we settled for a BWV room Boardwalk view. On Wednesday this week I checked availabity for the rest of our stay as my window opened today and low and behold there is a BCV room for the one night we need. So without much discussion I picked up the phone and talked to Member Services to cancel the BW room and put the (borrowed) points back into holding, while I paid for one time use points to save some of our 2018 points (as I am already borrowing from them). There was a short tense period when she cancelled the one room and had to go pick up the BCV one, but we got it!!! and therefore are spending our first night at BCV!
After that we wanted to do OKW/studio, but as I said, we are kind of short on points and I was thinking about Pop and pricing it out and then Riverside. Then I came about a really nice deal but wasn't sure it was for real. So after some research I asked for a quote and the resorts and prices were unbelievable. We ended up booking the Grand Floridian for what I would have paid for a Princess room at Riverside. Can't believe we are staying at the Grand for 5 nights!!!!
After that we are off to our Dream cruise. Well, again, in the beginning we had booked a back to back, but as soon as I found out that Food and Wine was starting on Aug 31, we had a short discussion and we both agreed that we would drop the second cruise and enjoy F&W instead.
So I was left with figuring out how to bridge the few extra days, especially since we wanted to stay at BCV (and close to Epcot :)). I was prepared to shell out all those 2018 points until I checked the DVC availability calendar and saw that the first day we needed at BCV was already sold out. I know I can waitlist, but I guess I am far too impatient for that, so I was trying to figure out what to do instead.
I emailed the person with the great GF deal and asked if they had anything available for YC/BC and he did. Again, great rate, so we decided to spend the first 4 nights at the YC and today I booked the last four nights at BCV! Which means we are all done and we will NOT change anything!
So here it is ........

Arriving late on the first day and staying at ...
Beach Club Villas 1 night
Grand Floridian 5 nights
Disney Dream 4 nights
Yacht Club 4 nights
Beach Club Villas 4 nights
ADR booking window opens while we are at DLRP - knowing their internet, this should be FUN (not!)

Oh, and before you aske - yes, it is ONLY 18 nights - no comparison to the 41 nights we had last summer.

Time for bed for me now, but I will be back soon with replies and an update!
It was a lot of work figuring all of that out! I have to get ours planned. Not sure if we will be flying down on Mon. Before the cruise or Wed. Would like to stay at POR but not sure if we will get it with FD. Can't wait to see you and Tom!

yay for getting it all to work out for you.
There is a good chance I will be on DCL again this summer, but I am not officially announcing anything yet, but I got a fantastic deal and it's hard to pass up.

Found this report a couple of days ago and now I'm all caught up! Such a great report!! I have taken notes and even changed some of my plans for my trip next month after reading! Can't wait to see what other adventures you have ahead! Thanks for all of your info and awesome pictures!
:worship:

Hi Karin! I can't believe it's taken me this long to log in and find your trip report. My sister and I are excited to have made it into your report from our meeting at the AKL. Seeing you and Tom that day was definitely one of the highlights from our trip :worship:. DISboard celebs! Can't wait to read the rest. -Jenn

Hi Karin I am trying to get back in the swing of things , I will have to catch up . I plan yo keepup with everyones TR's but I will take a siesta from my own re[ports.I will have more time to pick on Marv!!!!:rotfl2::rotfl2:For those who are on Facebook, you can catch up on my growing Great Grandson, he is such a sweetheart , and all smiles , well except when he is crying!! He already LOVES the Disney Channel:banana::banana:::MickeyMo::MinnieMo:tink:pooh::donald:

And we are back from our short DLRP vacation. Sorry for the long time with no updates or responses, life was CRAZY!!!

Ohhhhhh, that brunch. Deviled eggs and sushi? I'm weeping with envy.

Enjoying the report so far! This all sounds wonderful!

California Grill brunch, even though it came with a hefty price tag, was just sooooooo good. We have not yet decided on which ADRs to make (even though we are already in the time frame), but CG brunch is a must do again this summer.

I only like the charms from Lucky Charms. I can recall as a kid begging my more to buy me similar cereal and she kept saying I was only going to eat the marshmallow and I kept telling her no...um..yeah I lied! I can tolerate it now but more for a handful and I don't use milk. Can't do sweet/sugary cereal with milk!

When we grew up, Cornflakes were something VERY special. :rotfl2: And I remember when Tom went to NY for the first time he got me a variety pack of cereals as my souvenir. :lmao:So this was just something new to try, but I guess you need to grow up with the stuff ;) otherwise you get sugar overload.

Greek yogurt is not my thing either. I like yougurt and figured I'd try it a few years ago. Mine went in the trash after one scoop too.

I quite like Greek yogurt, it is just that ours is very different. :laughing:

So Tom drank that whole drink himself? I'd still be drunk as I am a (fat) lightweight these days. Your drink sounds yummy!

Apart from one sip, yes, he did. And I have to admit that it was not as strong as the server made it sound.

And BTW, I am dying for eggs Benedict. Every time I read your TR, I see many pictures of that yummy delight. I need to find a brunch that serves it!

Me too. ;) We have found out that our grocery store offers English Muffins now and then and then we make them at home - so yummy - feels like you're on vacation.

Wow the brunch at the Cali Grill looks so elegant and yummy! I fear though that I'd be done after one plate of the deliciousness!

It definitely is a wonderful event. There are so many yummy things to try from the buffet and then there are these other yummies that you order. We are definitely going back in the summer. :thumbsup2

Lucky charms....pure sugar. If Tom had eaten even the whole of that small container he would have been doing back flips in the buffet line.:yay:
The drinks look delish, sadly I'm allergic to all coconut, but some things are worth dying for I guess:rolleyes1

Those Lucky charms definitely tasted like pure sugar. But we can now say that we tried them ........ ;)

So many updates. Either you are updating like crazy or I'vis e just been MIA since Christmas. Love reading so many of them. Those drinks looked delicious. How was Tom after having the double?

I actually was trying to post as many updates as I could during my Christmslas holiday as I knew work would take up most of my time when it was back to school. But I have REALLY slowed down since - work was even more demanding than I thought. :faint:
And yes, he had the drink on his own and it was not as strong as the server had made it sound. They either toned it down or it isn't all that strong in the first place. :scratchin

I just started catching up on your report today. 40 Disney days is the dream! Looking forward to your next update. How nice that you had so many Dismeets and got to spend some quality time with friends!

Your California Grill brunch looks too good for words! popcorn:: popcorn:: popcorn::

It was delicious. Worth to be repeated - and I already have that reservation. ;)

Lovely to enjoy an afternoon by the pool.

That is what we like so much about those longer vacations - time to relax at the pool without fearing of missing something.

The Trader Sams experience just sounds bizarre.

It was REALLY something else. But all good in the end ....... we met with friends and had a great time. :grouphug:

Wow I just got all caught up! Everything looks amazing except for the weird service at Trader Sam's.

We had such a fun time at WDW. And even with the strange Trader Sam's service it was a great afternoon.

I can't decide what looks more delicious, your brunch or the dessert party.

Both were equally delicious. And I guess we'll repeat both this summer. :thumbsup2

Those blue skies over the Boardwalk look so lovely. I am ready to go back!

We are ready to head back too! Nothing like blue skies and the house of Mouse! ::yes::

I just found your trip report and got all caught up!

Sorry it took me so long to welcome you here. Things were going crazy here, but I hope I can go back to post more regularly now.

It looks like you had an absolutely magical trip so far and I can't get over how many days you were able to visit for! I really enjoyed all your pictures and commentary. :)

We had a fabulous trip - MANY magical moments, most of them I "blame" on friends who made us feel so special. We love those long vacations - they make those LONG and expensive flights from Europe much more worth while. This one was really special with enjoying both coasts and a lovely cruise. :thumbsup2

Brunch at the California Grill looks wonderful! I'm in the mood for sushi now!

It was really nice, we both just wished we had not snacked beforehand - that's the reason why we will repeat the experience this summer. :goodvibes

I'm surprised that the server hassled Tom about that drink. At WDW they have no problem serving that one to one person, but at DL, they absolutely will not serve it to one person.

Once we found out that it was supposed to be a drink for two we did understand what the server was going on about, but with the noise and his "accent" it was hard to figure out. I took a sip and it was not all that strong to begin with - maybe he already got a "juiced down" version of it.
Good to know that they follow rules at DL! :thumbsup2

Love that they let you box up those yummy desserts! Sorry you did not have the best service at Trader Sam's!

Nearly every one had the desserts in a take away box - there was just too much food and you just cannot stop nibbling as it is all so good. Trader Sam was something else, but since we are staying at the Grand this summer I am pretty sure we will go back. :rotfl:

What a great report! I've read your previous ones over on the Dining Review board...not sure how I missed this one! All caught up and looking forward to more. (Also, your brunch at CA Grill looks like it was amazing!)

Thank you for your kind words.
It's been a while since I wrote those dining reviews, but I am glad you found this one - there is lots of fun to come.

Happy New Year to you and Tom(albeit 19 days later **giggles**)

Thank you! And you were only 19 days late, while I am 3 months late in answering this. :faint:

Can't wait to read where your journeys take you in 2017!

There are already a few things planned and we have already been to DLRP for 5 days. This weekend we took a shopping trip to Germany and in 4 weeks time we will spend 5 days in Italy. Lots more to come, I'll keep you posted.

There are already a few things planned and we have already been to DLRP for 5 days. This weekend we took a shopping trip to Germany and in 4 weeks time we will spend 5 days in Italy. Lots more to come, I'll keep you posted.

How lovely!!!

Hi Karin! Your brunch looks delicious!

Really delicious - so much we already hold a brunch reservation for this summer. ;)

Trader Sam's is a pretty unique experirnce, isn't it? When we were at the DLR version in December, there were alot of crazy things ordered, and it was fun to see what would happen. Of course we had to get the souvenir cups, which will be stashed somewhere and never used again. :rotfl2:I'm sorry your service was no good. Too bad for them, right,

It is unique to say the least - it was fun to see them "serve" all the different drinks with all the fun that happened and the drinks and food were really nice - I was just taken aback about the service.

Jumping in! I always enjoy reading your reports!

Welcome! Sorry it took so long! Things are a bit crazy here right now, but I am trying to catch up and update real soon.

I am in to read later .......

Welcome! No trouble, lots of time to catch up ......... it's taken ME a while to get back here. ;)

Hi Karin! It's nice you have all of your plans made. I'm sure both trips will be great!

Plans have already changed again, well, at least a bit, but all will be revealed here soon. :thumbsup2

Your trip plans sound fabulous! Hooray for locking in the dates!!! :cool1:

In addition to our summer vacation we are squeezing in a short trip to Italy in 2 1/2 weeks time. ;) I did a little bit of ADR booking - somehow I seem to pick all the expensive ones. :rotfl2: We need to coordinate dates so we can have some fun time together. Give my love to JJ. Can't wait to see you girls again. :dance3:

It was a lot of work figuring all of that out! I have to get ours planned. Not sure if we will be flying down on Mon. Before the cruise or Wed. Would like to stay at POR but not sure if we will get it with FD. Can't wait to see you and Tom!

But on the other hand figuring it out is a lot of fun too! ;) Let me know once you know what you are going to do, can't wait to see the both of you! :goodvibes

yay for getting it all to work out for you.
There is a good chance I will be on DCL again this summer, but I am not officially announcing anything yet, but I got a fantastic deal and it's hard to pass up.

I was pretty happy when it all fell into place. :goodvibes It's part of the fun.
Did your plans to be on DCL this summer progress? As you know I dropped one of our cruises in favour of Food and Wine, but then I changed it again in favour of a Fantasy cruise in 2018. :rotfl2:

Found this report a couple of days ago and now I'm all caught up! Such a great report!! I have taken notes and even changed some of my plans for my trip next month after reading! Can't wait to see what other adventures you have ahead! Thanks for all of your info and awesome pictures!
:worship:

I hope you have not left us in the long time with no updates. There were a lot more exciting adventures ahead - it really lived up to the title - trip of a lifetime. :thumbsup2

Finally caught up! Your photos of brunch looked so good that I just booked it for my birthday weekend in June :lovestruc I'm so excited!

Hi karin! (And Tom too!) Just found this trip report and can't wait to read it with David and relive our cruise! We were just talking about how we loved our tour in cartagena. I hope you're doing well and I hope our paths cross again soon! -Kimberly

All caught up! Can't wait to hear more! I know I've told you this before, but we love your trip reports!

and then down to the car and off we went to drive to Disney’s Hollywood Studios. On the way there we joked about the fact that we had always had been “lucky” to start a new row at the Studios and guess what, today was no exception. When we headed towards the line of already parked cars we could see that there were only a few spots close to the tram stop left and again, we were the lucky ones to start a new row at the very end of the parking lot. Going around and trying again crossed our mind, but then we just gave in and parked in the very last spot of that long row.

Lucky! I always start a new line. Always have the long walk. lol

We are so used to our Nespresso machines (Nespresso is different to the Nescafe - Nescrap Disney used to serve) at home, but I think they are similar to your Keurig ones. Nespresso is a really high price item here, so when we stayed in Barcelona before our cruise we were so surprised to find one in our room. Plus they supplied the coffee capsuls as well. :thumbsup2

I am a huge Nespresso fan- I love mine. Keurig is a pod system too but it's more a cup of coffee. Nespresso is a much more delicious (in my opinion) shot of creamy deliciousness in the form of espresso <3

After that we are off to our Dream cruise. Well, again, in the beginning we had booked a back to back, but as soon as I found out that Food and Wine was starting on Aug 31, we had a short discussion and we both agreed that we would drop the second cruise and enjoy F&W instead.

Ahhh - we are on the Dream on September 11! We will just miss you!

I can't believe it's taken me this long to log in and find your trip report.

Not a problem at all. It has been so busy here that I did not even get around to reply to comments. :goodvibes

My sister and I are excited to have made it into your report from our meeting at the AKL. Seeing you and Tom that day was definitely one of the highlights from our trip :worship:. DISboard celebs! Can't wait to read the rest.

You were such a fun "add" to our trip, you HAD TO make it into the report. And you made us feel VERY special. Thank you for stopping us - it was definitely our pleasure.

Hi Karin I am trying to get back in the swing of things , I will have to catch up .

No need to hurry Rosie. I am just happy to know that you are here.

you can catch up on my growing Great Grandson, he is such a sweetheart , and all smiles , well except when he is crying!! He already LOVES the Disney Channel

I did check in ever so often and I have to say he is quite the cute little man. Thank you for the posting the photos of him.

I just started catching up on your report today. 40 Disney days is the dream!

Thanks for reading! Yes, 40 Disney days is just awesome, but it was all those friends we shared time with at Disney that made it so extra special. :grouphug:

How nice that you had so many Dismeets and got to spend some quality time with friends!

It was AWESOME to spend time with friends and get to meet so many new people. We really had the trip of a lifetime ........ and there are lots of good times to still post here. ;)

Finally caught up! Your photos of brunch looked so good that I just booked it for my birthday weekend in June :lovestruc I'm so excited!

Brunch at the top was top notch! We really enjoyed it a lot and already have a reservation for September! And it should be a perfect birthday treat too! You have every right to be excited. :dance3:

Great thread, waiting for updates :yay:

Thanks for reading! I will update soon. Work has been crazy busy and kept me from getting updates done.

Hi karin! (And Tom too!) Just found this trip report and can't wait to read it with David and relive our cruise! We were just talking about how we loved our tour in cartagena. I hope you're doing well and I hope our paths cross again soon! -Kimberly

Kimberly! Great to have you here!
That was one fun tour in Cartagena. Dora was so knowledgeable.
Thanks for asking, yes, we are doing fine, it is just that my work is a bit crazy at the moment with a lot of people being sick, so the rest of us have to fill in and a lot more hours to do. DIS time was really limited, but I am really trying to catch up and get more updates done.

All caught up! Can't wait to hear more! I know I've told you this before, but we love your trip reports!

Thank you! :hug:

Lucky! I always start a new line. Always have the long walk. lol

Yip, starting a new line is one of the things that we "LOVE" to do. :rotfl2: And I thought that it was only us who were that lucky. ;)

I am a huge Nespresso fan- I love mine. Keurig is a pod system too but it's more a cup of coffee. Nespresso is a much more delicious (in my opinion) shot of creamy deliciousness in the form of espresso <3

We have several at home - they make really good coffee. :thumbsup2

Ahhh - we are on the Dream on September 11! We will just miss you!

We are missing you by days!! We leave September 9 - any chance you will be at WDW before the cruise?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter