Some Parents/Some Children....

I would have yelled at him, I don't care if they like it or not. Being 4 doesn't mean you get to abuse an animal.

Our last WDW trip we saw a bird in Frontierland in MK that had a disfigured leg. Our then 5 year old turned to my dh and I and asked us what was wrong with him/her. There happened to be a CM nearby who heard his question and told us that a child had done it. I don't remember the details now, but how sad. I don't get parents sometimes...and I am sorry but if there are children and/or adult hurting or attempting to injure animals in the parks the entire family should be removed.

Yeah exactly. I seriously wanted to go over and slap him. And the fact he was laughing about it, made it even worse in my opinion. Luckily he didn't even go near the baby duck but I was concerned because it was right on the ledge near the boats and the duck could have fallen in the water. She and the baby got to safety in the boat waiting area.

I am sorry, but I have a problem with this. What this child did is wrong, but wanting to slap him, is wrong too. :confused3

What is a shame is when the ducks try to defend themselves from these kids, the parents get all upset about the vicious animal.

Simba's Girl said:
This

FWIW...I have even had the cops called on me once for YELLING at my child in public and THREATENING to make her stay in her room for a very long time because she was refusing to do what I asked her/she agreed to do. Like staying in her room was a punishment :rotfl2:

Since that happened about 4 years ago I am VERY VERY careful about disciplining my children in public.

This is what amazes me. People complain about children needing discipline, however when you threaten bad behavior with any form of discipline (non-violent) they freak out. Has our society really gotten that ridiculous where time out is even considered abusive? Makes one wonder, where were these people when grandpa was taking off the belt?

We were entering MK in Sept..mom, dad and gramma.. 2 wee ones in a stroller..one of the "bob" one where one kid is literally UNDER the other one. The kids were probably 3 and 4.. and they were beating the crud out of each other.. surprised the one on top didn't get a broken arm with the way the other one was grabbing and pulling. My kids ( who are NOT angels but who would not get away with that for a nano second) were like..WOW. all 3 adults commented on the full on fight but did nothing about it. Im sure the rest of their day ( and anyone near them) was just lovely.

in por, i noticed many young children (under 10) wandering around on their own-i would never have let my children be on their own-in an unknown environment-even if it is disney. :confused3

Mine did..we were so close to the food court mine (7,9 and 10) would go get their own drinks and snacks.. but thats as far as they went.

I'm surprised by ducklings so late in the year! Then again, I suppose being a Florida duck allows you more leeway in when it's safe to have little bitty ducks without them freezing.

So sad. Wonder what that child will hit when he is grown up?

Now, see, I wonder who is teaching him that hitting and kicking is OK?

Makes one wonder, where were these people when grandpa was taking off the belt?

Well, maybe they were being abused by a grown man whipping them with a long strip of leather?

having cops called for yelling...

My BIL nearly got hospital security called on him because he was screaming at his mother a few weeks ago. (I should mention that she was screaming at him, first, and continued as he spoke, because she didn't want to hear what he was saying, and he finally lost his temper and made himself louder than she was being) It's their way, in their family, and SHE is the one that set the tradition of screeching at each other...but to the staff there at the hospital it was shocking. (to me, too, actually)

Yelling at people can sound VERY scary to some people. I once went into hysterics because my relatively new stepfather was yelling at me (getting involved in a very normal argument I was having with my mom with the dynamics that were normal in our little family before stepdad showed up) and I was NOT OK with having a grown man yell at me.

I am sorry, but I have a problem with this. What this child did is wrong, but wanting to slap him, is wrong too. :confused3

What is a shame is when the ducks try to defend themselves from these kids, the parents get all upset about the vicious animal.

I agree. OP is upset that the child was violent with the ducks yet they want to also display violence by slapping a child? What lesson would that teach the child? It's ok to hit....

I would have told him straight up " dont hit the duck" I would have said it loud too. Id have made sure his parents heard me. I will not stand for anyone hurting helpless animals! I feel sorry for that kid because ultimately its the parents fault.

kpm76 said:
I agree. OP is upset that the child was violent with the ducks yet they want to also display violence by slapping a child? What lesson would that teach the child? It's ok to hit....

I understand why your upset however, I don't see it as being wrong. She stated that she WANTED to slap the child. Not that she had the impulse to hit the child or had to restrain herself from doing so. I love dearly but there have been times I have wanted to slap them, but I would NEVER do it

Back on our honeymoon DH and I were sittin gon the CR beach waiting for the EWP and a loud drunk family came staggering over. There was a little girl, maybe 4 or so, who was chasing some ducks around. When she failed to catch the duck, one of the males in the group TACKLED THE DUCK (no lie...it was like he was a Super Bowl MVP tackling a fumbled football). He then proceeded to hold the shrieking duck down so the little girl could roughly pet it it.

Morons.

I would have told him straight up " dont hit the duck" I would have said it loud too. Id have made sure his parents heard me. I will not stand for anyone hurting helpless animals!

This. I will NOT stand by while a bully picks on a helpless animal. And you can bet if that duck went after the little bully, I would have defended the duck. I live in an apt complex. This summer I had a terrible time defending the local wildlife (we have a lovely creek and tons of trees) from a pack of boys old enough to know better. You will NOT throw sticks at squirrels and you will NOT harass snakes or birds. Not on my watch.

Some of the boys hate me, some of them like me for standing up when they feel they can't.

A person who abuses animals is a monster.

Bagheera23608 said:
This. I will NOT stand by while a bully picks on a helpless animal. And you can bet if that duck went after the little bully, I would have defended the duck. I live in an apt complex. This summer I had a terrible time defending the local wildlife (we have a lovely creek and tons of trees) from a pack of boys old enough to know better. You will NOT throw sticks at squirrels and you will NOT harass snakes or birds. Not on my watch.

Some of the boys hate me, some of them like me for standing up when they feel they can't.

A person who abuses animals is a monster.

I know how you feel. We have animals in my house. My boys were taught to always be nice to animals. We have a house near the beach here in Jersey. Every summer I will have to go up to kids to tell them not to throw rocks at the seagulls. The parents just sit there :( but these are usually the same people who leave their trash on the beach.

beachgrl001 said:
I know how you feel. We have animals in my house. My boys were taught to always be nice to animals. We have a house near the beach here in Jersey. Every summer I will have to go up to kids to tell them not to throw rocks at the seagulls. The parents just sit there :( but these are usually the same people who leave their trash on the beach.

Wellll, I'm a pretty big animal rights person but throwing rocks at the aggressive Jersey seagulls is pretty tempting. LOL. Seems every day we sit there, someone from our party- little kid or a dad loses an entire half sandwich or other sizable treat to those flying rats! Even the person ducked under a towel. Usually I squirt them with a water bottle.
But.... Really, I agree with you! We have an elderly dog who is very good for teaching my DD compassion- DD would never hurt but tends to over love the old girl who doesn't enjoy hugs anymore :(
During Sandy, we talked (and worried) about animals outside- our friend's horse, Oma and Opa's cows, and the wild bunnies in the garden.
Kids that hurt animals truly scare me... I'd seriously be taking mine in for evaluation if there was ever behavior like some if you have seen :(

I certainly don't like seagulls flying overhead when I'm on the beach (I've had them drop a load in my hair before. Not fun trying to wash it out). But I can't blame them. They know people are eating on the beach, etc. and that there is food there. Most times, its people who created the nuisance by feeding them in the first place. I was watching an older man from our hotel room at the Boardwalk Inn last year. He started feeding a lone gull. Pretty soon, they were all over the place. A CM came over and spoke to him and he left. I actually felt bad for the man. He probably thought he was being nice to them.

But, back to the ducks......It is sad to watch kids or adults be mean to them. I guess there is not enough entertainment or stiumlation for the little darlings at Disney so they have to harrass the wildlife:furious:

I see more and more of this each trip and I just dont get it??

One time kids were climbing all over PUSH the talking trash can and kicking it and he kept saying pls dont kick me, pls dont climb on me and the parents were just laughing and taking pics. As soon as the last child climbed off PUSH left. Ruined the experience for everyone.

Dinner at CR once, family letting their toddler scream and cry for like 15 min straight so i finally asked waiter when he came over to pls ask them to tend to their child I had a headache and it was bothering me. Mom picked up toddler for all of 5 min and then put him back down and the screaming commenced..

Ohana watching fireworks, we were fortunate to have a table at the window, kids were pushing between me and the windows! I wouldnt have minded had they asked and not stood in front of me! Waitress shooed them away but they were right back once she left, parents did nothing about it!

I know everyone is different on how they raise their kids and everyones discipline beliefs are different as well but when your child is ruining it for everyone around him/her your making yourself look like a very bad parent!

Oh my - that family should be glad we were not there. I think my husband would have said some not so nice words to the kid AND the parents and I would have joined in.

If any child even runs towards an animal in an attempt to scare it, we say something if the parents are too stupid to do it themselves. On our last trip, I told a little boy to stop running after the sparrows at Hollywood Studios. I mean, sparrows. A common bird and the kid thought he should chase them.

Husband just came home and I'll tell him about this and his head will figuratively explode. The man stops to help turtles cross the road (yes, he's done this three times).
THIS!

I'm the same, I volunteer for an animals right organisation and if I saw something like that happening I'd probably have some strong words to say to both child and parents.

Spoiled children who can't show compassion to other living creatures surely will grow up to be spoiled adults who abuse their own family.

I can give you a general idea of why you see things like this at WDW. Disney vacations compared to some other vacations are expensive. That is also relative to the area in which you live of course. That being said some "parents" feel they are taking good care of their children by throwing money at them rather than giving them what they need which is discipline. The "parent" thinks that their childs behavior issues will get fixed if they take them to the happiest place on earth.

The parents you see ignoring their children while they fight on a bus for instance, is a prime example of lack of control in the familys home life. In some rare case the children know they can get away with things they may not normally get away simply because they are in a public place. Some parents are afraid to discipline their children in public (As the person who posted above about having the cops called on them).

I lived on a farm as a boy and one of my chores at home was to butcher livestock. Even though I may have killed animals my dad explained to me that even an animal that was going to be killed and eaten deserved respect and care. Then he said "Wild animals don't have the things we provide livestock and pets, so we need to treat them with even more respect since they have to fend for themselves". So on that note seeing a duck getting hit by a little kid would get me pretty mad too.

One little thing that may cheer you up is that on our farm we had a guard duck he would chase people he didn't know, and in turn you would see my dad chasing a duck away from our dinner guests down our driveway on Saturday nights.

This

FWIW...I have even had the cops called on me once for YELLING at my child in public and THREATENING to make her stay in her room for a very long time because she was refusing to do what I asked her/she agreed to do. Like staying in her room was a punishment :rotfl2:

Since that happened about 4 years ago I am VERY VERY careful about disciplining my children in public.
Back when my dd was about 2.5, we had a function at our church. The church is located on a really quiet road, with little traffic. Well, other kids were playing in the road, while the parents stood around and chatted. My dd ran into the road to play. I went after her and brought her back. This happened two more times. The last time, I said to her 'You go into that road again, and you're going to get a bum swat!!!' Now, she had never had a bum swat before..she had always listened to me. But not this time...the temptation was too great. So off she went, back into the road to play. I followed her, swatted her behind, and brought her back to the grassy area. Every single person there stopped talking....every child stopped playing..you would have thought I beat her with a whip!!! Understand...this child had on a diaper..it was more about getting her full attention because this was a very unsafe situation, and she really needs to listen to me. She didn't go back in the road and found other kids to play with. One man came up to me in church the next day to tell me that he felt obligated to explain the wrongness of child abuse!!! Seriously??? Both his kids were in 'special' schools for children that have behaviour issues!!! I never had to lay a hand on my dd's bottom again. She knew that if she didn't listen to me, there would be repercussions.

The kids at church would no longer hang out with my dd...you know why??? They told her that her mother was a witch and didn't let them have any fun! So, if dd was with them, they would get yelled at!!! And do you know why they would get yelled at??? For hanging off the altar railing, or doing somersaults around it. Or running in the parish hall during coffee hour and knocking down little old ladies. Or running up and down the aisles of the church, screaming as if they were at a park!!! Sorry, but you don't act like that in a church. And to this day, those older parishioners still talk about how nice it was to have a properly behaved child around!!!

Would I have said something to that little boy? Sure would have. I remember the time we were eating outside of Captain Cooks at the Polynesian. It was a beautiful afternoon. Until the family from 'you know where' arrived!!! They had three kids...a baby, and then two others under the age of 5. The two older kids started chasing the resident ducks around. Then the ducks headed our way. Our dd was about 9 at that time. She was upset about the ducks, so was glad to see them head toward our table. Well..those little monsters chased the ducks right under our table..between our legs!! I mean, seriously??? And the parents never looked up. I told those little boys to get away from my table and to leave the ducks alone. My dd just looked at them and said...'I hope they bite you...you're really mean little boys.' At this, the boys ran back to their parents, who now looked up, gave us filthy looks and left..saying that some people needed to mind their own business!!!

I will never understand why parents can discipline their children. They don't seem to realize that they are doing their kids a disservice by allowing them to run rampant over everyone, and everything, in their path. It does not make them pleasant to be around. But, parents seem to think their precious children are perfect..and everyone else is wrong, not to mention mean spirited!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter