Solo trip worries

I feel like the older crowd are more skeptical about going alone. I'm 25, and when I mention it to my parents, they usually respond with something like "Really... alone?", and you can tell they think it's odd. This doesn't only apply to Disney either, going skiing alone-why?? eating alone- that's weird?? I don't really understand it, I eat alone at local restaurants all the time. I never even realized there was a stigma/hidden fears about it until I started reading things on the internet. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy company, sometimes no one is available.

Meanwhile, I have plenty of friends my age who travel alone to far away places all the time. When I tell them about my trip, they always respond with positively and are super jealous.
yes I agreee a lot of older people respond the most negatively:(

If I’m going to book this WDW 14 day trip I have a view queries I hope you can help with me with pretty please :)

. How do you deal with loneliness for a 14 day trip. I know theirs lots of entertainment and stuff to do in WDW but how do you cope with things like waiting in line on your own or not sharing an experience after coming off an epic ride with family or friends. I’m a quite awkward person and nervous anyway so don’t speak with people so easily so worry that even though so much to see and do in WDW how will I cope being lonely for 14 days ? I was thinking maybe writing trip reports? I don’t fancy doing video blogs and having a camera in my face and talking to camera all trip . Tried to watch these YouTube videos of people going solo but they don’t help as they are taking into their video camera all the trip and not paying attention to anyone around them on their solo trip but don’t wanna do that.

. Best way to dine solo in a restaurant without it looking awkward and standing out your in your own?

. Being in 30s and around hotel pool area/ being in swimming pool or water park where lots of children and families around without parents thinking your (how can I put this) thinking your a evil adult if you get what I mean ?

. I’ll be coming from the UK so most probably getting a coach / shared public transport to disney from airport so how do you try and not stand out like a sore thumb when everyone else with their friends or family and your by yourself boarding a coach on your own and sitting on your own and it being so noticeable I’m solo?

. What if someone speaks to me on the plane and asks why I’m on my own especially going to Florida where most people go with friends and family, should I tell people a little white lie and say I’m like a YouTube blogger or write trip reports and ride reviews for Disney ?

. This is probably a big one - WDW is such a big vacation destination for UK families and I worry I’m going to by chance bump into someone I once knew from high school etc and them thinking what a looser I’ve bevome in life by going on vacation to WDW on my own because knowone else would come with me.

Any help is most appreciated :)
I'm booked for my first ever solo trip to WDW. And I understand the worries, but, maybe try refocussing ?
Imagine how you can ALWAYS choose where you want to be. You can ALWAYS choose which rides, which restaurants, when to hit the parks, when to swim, which snacks, which EVERYTHING. I feel like it is going to be very freeing.
I AM worried I will miss pointing things out to my family etc, but, I can take photos. I hope that I will find it WAY more relaxing.
Have a great time.
Oh, and I don't care if I bump into anyone I know, guess what, I have the time, and resources (of all kinds) to go to WDW. I ALSO have a very personal, important reason to be there, so, I consider myself LUCKY not lonely.

I haven't read anything other than the first post (My apologies!), so these are my thoughts based only on that.

***How do you cope with things like waiting in line on your own or not sharing an experience after coming off an epic ride with family or friends? This is where Disney's app may come in handy. You can look over fastpasses, upcoming ADRs, make modifications to plans, check wait times, etc. Also, perhaps try things like searching for Hidden Mickeys or coming up with some project for yourself for the trip. You mentioned a trip report. Perhaps bring a small field guide with you to the parks. During times when you're up and moving around, try to find fun photos to take with your phone that you can use to spur thoughts for your journal later on. They can just be any photo or you can come up with a theme for yourself, such as queue photos or unusual photos or often overlooked details. :) Then once you're home, you can use that journal and the photos to re-visit the joy or excitement of those moments as you look over them yourself, use them in a Blog or on a social media site, or actually sit down and physically share them with others. :)

***Best way to dine solo in a restaurant without it looking awkward and standing out your in your own? I don't think you'll look awkward or stand out at all. So many solo travelers, Annual Pass Day-trippers, and vloggers/bloggers are at Disney each day that people won't think a thing of you dining on your own. And this can be a great time for you to whip out that little field journal and doodle, jot down thoughts about your day, or even write out full entries. :)

***Being in 30s and around hotel pool area/ being in swimming pool or water park where lots of children and families around without parents thinking your (how can I put this) thinking your a evil adult if you get what I mean ? Again, I think you're imagining that people are spending way more time looking at you and wondering about you than they really are. Go out to the pool, wear a pair of sunglasses, and relax; and if parents of kids notice you at all, it might only be to ask their kids not to bother you, because they know how precious some relaxing time alone can be! :) As long as you're not going up to kids and initiating conversation with them, or staring at them all afternoon, most parents won't think anything of a solo adult at a pool. I am going to WDW with a family and I still plan on having alone time at the pool! I already told my crew to expect some time without me, because for me, every vacation requires some rest, relaxation, & water---even at Disney! :) Also, perhaps go out of your way to use quiet pools. They may have a lot less families with young kids in them, if that makes you feel better. :)

***I’ll be coming from the UK so most probably getting a coach / shared public transport to Disney from airport so how do you try and not stand out like a sore thumb when everyone else with their friends or family and your by yourself boarding a coach on your own and sitting on your own and it being so noticeable I’m solo? I'm going to gently suggest that you try to alter your ideas on why people do things on their own. Many people enjoy doing things alone. And likewise, most people aren't having any uncharitable thoughts about anyone else they see out there enjoying life solo. :) You don't need to try to be unnoticeable. Families at Disney are super busy on their own. They're juggling plans and luggage and kids and snacks and time crunches, etc., etc., and they barely have a chance to breath sometimes. You're the last thing on their mind, and if they do notice you, they may simply feel jealous! :D

***What if someone speaks to me on the plane and asks why I’m on my own especially going to Florida where most people go with friends and family, should I tell people a little white lie and say I’m like a YouTube blogger or write trip reports and ride reviews for Disney ? Nope. Why would you lie about being on a holiday? Being on a holiday is awesome. That's all you need to say. No one's going to start interrogating you on why you're not surrounded by 10 other people. :) Again, see my last answer---most people will be busy with their own stuff.

***This is probably a big one - WDW is such a big vacation destination for UK families and I worry I’m going to by chance bump into someone I once knew from high school etc and them thinking what a loser I’ve become in life by going on vacation to WDW on my own because know one else would come with me. The chances of you running into someone you know are pretty low, and again, you need to get past the idea that being alone on a trip is bad. Trips are good. It doesn't matter what the group size. And plenty people dealing with families or groups at Disney either do try to get a bit of alone time or they wish they could. ;) No one needs to know why you're there solo even if you do see anyone you know. Do you know super nosy folks or are you an over-sharer, LOL? "Hey! Fancy running into you here! I'm having a great time, hope you are too! Take care!" End of discussion.

As for general loneliness, maybe set up a few behind the scenes tours for yourself? Or take part in some sort of class type experience? That way you're automatically part of a larger group getting to do something special. You might not be bringing someone you know with you,. but you're still part of a small group doing something cool. And maybe in that situation you can practice making little small-talk comments to those around you about the neat stuff you're seeing or doing.

You can also set up a challenge for yourself if you're the type to enjoy that----for instance try to talk to one person---even just one line of speech---that you don't strictly need to speak to. (So, not your food server. ;) ) Even if it's just a line of greeting and thanks to each CM who you have an interaction with. It sounds like you could use some bolstering up in the small talk department and this is a nice safe-feeling way to go about that, since spreading some friendliness to the CMs is always encouraged & appreciated, and they are expecting people to talk to them all day :)

yes I agreee a lot of older people respond the most negatively:(
Just wanted to make a note here to say that not all older folks feel this way. Just a misconception. I am 65 and going solo to Disney for the first time. I get more negative comments from young people asking why an old lady like me would even want to go to Disney World, much less alone. And I get the more "concerned" comments about going alone - "What will you do?", "What if something happens?"
I say it's all ridiculous. I am going alone and I will not be lonely. I will enjoy seeing all the amazing imagineering Disney does so well.I will pose with the characters. I will ride the rides and try the food. And I will talk to the people around me... or not. Make rope drop and stay for the fireworks, or not. I will do whatever I want. Isn't that why anyone travels alone?
I am old, but not ready for the nursing home quite yet.
In fact, I'm holding out for The Walt Disney Nursing Home where I can take a giant slide or a roller coaster to eat my oatmeal every morning. Wheeeeee!

Just wanted to make a note here to say that not all older folks feel this way. Just a misconception. I am 65 and going solo to Disney for the first time. I get more negative comments from young people asking why an old lady like me would even want to go to Disney World, much less alone. And I get the more "concerned" comments about going alone - "What will you do?", "What if something happens?"
I say it's all ridiculous. I am going alone and I will not be lonely. I will enjoy seeing all the amazing imagineering Disney does so well.I will pose with the characters. I will ride the rides and try the food. And I will talk to the people around me... or not. Make rope drop and stay for the fireworks, or not. I will do whatever I want. Isn't that why anyone travels alone?
I am old, but not ready for the nursing home quite yet.
In fact, I'm holding out for The Walt Disney Nursing Home where I can take a giant slide or a roller coaster to eat my oatmeal every morning. Wheeeeee!
I'm 61 now and a few years ago I started going solo for a one of my trips every year. I have to say I truly LOVE my solo trips. I tend to relax more and notice more neat little things that I never see when I'm with others. I am quite sociable for the most part so I usually talk to a lot of people every day. But I like the fact that I don't have to talk or socialize if I'm not feeling it. I love being able to do whatever I want without having to discuss it with anybody. Actually I just realized I have 2 solo trips booked for next year! Yay me!

Disney is unique in that everyone there has the shared experience of being at Disney! I'm rather introverted, but on my solo trips I found it easy to talk to random people in lines and out and about. I would comment on people's unique Disney wardrobe items, ask them where they're from, how long they're staying for, where they're staying, what their favorite attractions or Disney snacks are, and if they've ridden whatever ride we're in line for before. I rode flight of passage for the first time in a solo trip. I shared with someone standing near me that it was my first time and I was a little nervous. Pretty soon our whole pre-boarding room was chatting and I found out I wasn't the only first time rider. After the ride everyone asked me how I liked it!

At restaurants on my solo trip I found wait staff really seemed to feel free to linger and chat with me. Same with characters at character meals. I recommend dining experiences where you'll be automatically seated with people, like Biergarten, or places with built in entertainment, if you're worried though.

If you get lonely you can always call or text home. Sending my family pictures and summaries of what I was doing made me feel like I was still sharing my experiences with people while I was there solo.

Honestly solo travel at Disney just isn't that unusual so there's no need to worry about sticking out like a sore thumb or people judging.

***Best way to dine solo in a restaurant without it looking awkward and standing out your in your own?

Just keep reminding yourself of the Dr Phil quote, from his father, "You'd worry less about what other people are thinking of you if you knew how little they did". Actually, I may have quoted that not quite totally correctly, but I've always said that unless I bear a striking resemblance to Mickey Mouse or one of the other Disney characters, no one's really going to notice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter