Solo Disneyland Trip in August: Help appreciated!

One remedy is going to a TS restaurant with a bar and sit at the bar.... Carthay Circle Lounge, Napa Rose Lounge, and Trader Sam's have small plate menus you can order at the bar. Also, there's Hearthstone Lounge at GCH that also has a small menu, and a few places in DTD.
Totally agree with this! And, CC Lounge has the most fun bartenders! We love sitting at the bar in the lounge when we can -- super fun, great conversation... one time the whole bar and the bartenders got going on holiday gift lists, hard to find gifts, and hard to gift family members. Such a great conversation -- and no one (!) felt alone! :)

Sorry for the late reply, I had a really busy week with work and school. Thank you so much for all of the responses!! I'm definitely not a stranger to sitting at bars alone. I find it super relaxing. I don't mind eating alone either. I'm really interested in the Blue Bayou-- thanks for the hint to request a water side table! I can't remember too much about Disneyland, but I do remember how awesome their Pirates was compared to WDW.

I'm testing out solo living today, actually. I'm in WDW for a few days for my nephew's birthday. Family's tired from driving, so I'm gonna hit Disney Springs and see the new MIB movie/roam around.

I'm really eager to read the Galaxy's edge reviews about the virtual queue! I haven't had much time for planning this week, but I have bought some cute outfits. It's Cali-- gotta look cute! Lol. Still on the hunt for a nice star wars shirt.

Just a quick word of defense for the Clarion, we’ve stayed there the past three trips and we are again in August- I love that hotel! I’ve never had any issues with our stays. Each time we’ve stayed it’s been clean, quiet, and the WiFi has worked great. It’s nothing fancy and a bit old but for me it’s a great way to save money. Their breakfast is always good too!

You can take the ART bus that stops out front every 20 minutes (route 3) and never have to walk. I usually travel alone with my son so I always avoid walking at night. Bus can you have there in 5 minutes or less, no issue.

Have fun, sounds like you’ll have a great time!

Just a quick word of defense for the Clarion, we’ve stayed there the past three trips and we are again in August- I love that hotel! I’ve never had any issues with our stays. Each time we’ve stayed it’s been clean, quiet, and the WiFi has worked great. It’s nothing fancy and a bit old but for me it’s a great way to save money. Their breakfast is always good too!

You can take the ART bus that stops out front every 20 minutes (route 3) and never have to walk. I usually travel alone with my son so I always avoid walking at night. Bus can you have there in 5 minutes or less, no issue.

Have fun, sounds like you’ll have a great time!
Another reassuring comment for the OP about the Clarion. It's definitely older, but I love how quiet it is, maybe because they built it really solid back whenever. The beds are so comfy and the pool is great with sunny or shady areas. For getting to the park, we always use the Toy Story lot shuttles and have always felt safe, even when I went on my solo trip. I remember I was cautioned about it when I was staying there the first time as part of a cruise/stay package, and was pleasantly surprised. Have a wonderful time!

I'm so glad to hear some positives about The Clarion! Thank you all for the help. I'm coming home from Disney tomorrow, and that's when the real planning will begin.

A random question. Do you think you could fly back home with the lightsabers from SWGE? Assuming they're even in stock in August. I really want one, but I've never had to think of the logistics of traveling with a lightsaber before. I usually just shove everything into my car for the drive home. I will definitely be bringing an empty carry-on luggage to load up with souvenirs.

I just got back from my first solo trip. The only con I had was that it felt a little lonely the first night in the park, after that I never thought of it. Because I was by myself I pretty much walked onto soarin' twice while it had hour waits because they asked for solo riders. It was the same with racers, space, and guardians.
I ate alone for the first time at Ralph Brennan's and it was the best service I have ever had, the blue bayou was good but I didn't think it was worth the cost.
I saw the fireworks, fantasmic, soundsational, and magical map with great seats/views with almost no wait thanks to being solo.
Lastly, I stayed off property and left at midnight every night and never once felt unsafe, something that would never happen where I actually live. If you are worried about it stick with the crowds and carry a hot drink with you, it is weirdly a great deterrent.
Going solo has so many perks, enjoy!

This thread is great! I’m planning 8 nights solo in May 2020. I’ll get the 10 day pass available to Australians and just come and go as I please (it’s not much more than a 5 day pass so I may as well). I did two days solo at WDW in April before going on a cruise, so it’s given me a taste. I did really really miss my daughter being with me, but I think I’ll be ok!!

Thank you everyone for the posts and advice! I CANNOT wait to leave. I even booked a second mini trip in late august to visit a friend for the weekend. I am loving the solo life!

Planning wise, I’m taking it very easy. I have a list of the things I want to do and the shows I want to see. I totally forgot the Frozen show existed. Definitely want to see that!

And of course, now’s a great time go see how the crowd’s at SWGE are holding up.

By the way, SWGE is great for solo visits! I've gone in a few times now while DH has been busy elsewhere in the park. So much fun wandering around on my own in Batuu! There is so much to see, and I find new things that I missed before every visit. :)
So glad to hear that, thank you! I can't wait to take in the atmosphere.

I did quite a bit of planning this morning:
  1. Booked an airport transfer. I'm just using the Disneyland coach system, not bad for $25. It'll drop me off at a hotel that's less than a 5 minute walk away from mine. I'm not expecting anything fancy.
  2. I changed my return flight. Now I'll be leaving at 930a instead of 1230p. That'll get me back home around 6p. I'm flying out to South Carolina the next day at 6am, and I definitely need a good night's sleep. That coach service doesn't start running til' after 6a (and yes... I'm one of those "get to the airport 3 hours early" people) so I will just splurge on an uber to get there faster.
  3. I'm still too hesitant to book any lunch or dinner reservations. I am loving the freedom of traveling solo, I'm not sure if I want to lock myself into plans. But then again, I don't want to eat quick service for a entire week. Maybe I'll book them as I get closer. Is it easy to make day-of reservations for Disneyland?
  4. I pretty much planned out my LA day. I decided to just uber into LA. I want to see the Chinese Theatre, El Capitan, walk along the walk of fame, and Madame Tussaud's is always fun. I saw there's a museum of selfies and it looks super funny. Maybe. Those are all within minutes of each other. And then I'll probably uber to the Griffith Observatory and uber back to my hotel from there. I'm excited to explore a bit!

So glad to hear that, thank you! I can't wait to take in the atmosphere.

I did quite a bit of planning this morning:
  1. Booked an airport transfer. I'm just using the Disneyland coach system, not bad for $25. It'll drop me off at a hotel that's less than a 5 minute walk away from mine. I'm not expecting anything fancy.
  2. I changed my return flight. Now I'll be leaving at 930a instead of 1230p. That'll get me back home around 6p. I'm flying out to South Carolina the next day at 6am, and I definitely need a good night's sleep. That coach service doesn't start running til' after 6a (and yes... I'm one of those "get to the airport 3 hours early" people) so I will just splurge on an uber to get there faster.
  3. I'm still too hesitant to book any lunch or dinner reservations. I am loving the freedom of traveling solo, I'm not sure if I want to lock myself into plans. But then again, I don't want to eat quick service for a entire week. Maybe I'll book them as I get closer. Is it easy to make day-of reservations for Disneyland?
  4. I pretty much planned out my LA day. I decided to just uber into LA. I want to see the Chinese Theatre, El Capitan, walk along the walk of fame, and Madame Tussaud's is always fun. I saw there's a museum of selfies and it looks super funny. Maybe. Those are all within minutes of each other. And then I'll probably uber to the Griffith Observatory and uber back to my hotel from there. I'm excited to explore a bit!
When I travelled solo, I was able to snag TS reservations often the day of, so you might try that. Also, you can always book a reservation and cancel it and if you don't manage to cancel it in the required time (24 hours usually?), use a trick I learned from tlcdoula; change your reservation to a date further away and then cancel. I haven't used that option myself, but there was a time I would have liked to try it and I will keep it in mind for future use!

When I travelled solo, I was able to snag TS reservations often the day of, so you might try that. Also, you can always book a reservation and cancel it and if you don't manage to cancel it in the required time (24 hours usually?), use a trick I learned from tlcdoula; change your reservation to a date further away and then cancel. I haven't used that option myself, but there was a time I would have liked to try it and I will keep it in mind for future use!
You may not get a reservation for the popular restaurants but you’ll be able to find something. One of my personal favorite restaurants is Carnations Cafe. I’ve been able to find reservations day several times. It’s easier when it’s just 1 person.

Blue Bayou for lunch or dinner. New Orleans Square outdoor dining area is also nice. (Bread bowl with stew or clam chowder were both good.) A nice place to catch your breath and I think you can get a cocktail there now too... Also, you can consider taking a break during the day and going to the Grand Californian for lunch or to the restaurants in Downtown Disney. I'm not so big on the chain restaurants, but it's nice to duck out of the park when it's the hottest part of the day. If you are at California Adventure, there are a few nice alternatives for a meal where you can grab a beer or a glass of wine, if you are so inclined.

Blue Bayou for lunch or dinner. New Orleans Square outdoor dining area is also nice. (Bread bowl with stew or clam chowder were both good.) A nice place to catch your breath and I think you can get a cocktail there now too... Also, you can consider taking a break during the day and going to the Grand Californian for lunch or to the restaurants in Downtown Disney. I'm not so big on the chain restaurants, but it's nice to duck out of the park when it's the hottest part of the day. If you are at California Adventure, there are a few nice alternatives for a meal where you can grab a beer or a glass of wine, if you are so inclined.
Good idea! I stayed at GC as a teenager with my family in 2011. It’ll be nice and nostalgic to go back and visit :)

I found out you can schedule rides with lyft up to a week and advance. This will be perfect for my rides to and from the airport!

No cocktails in NOS

Good idea! I stayed at GC as a teenager with my family in 2011. It’ll be nice and nostalgic to go back and visit :)

I found out you can schedule rides with lyft up to a week and advance. This will be perfect for my rides to and from the airport!
GC is still very nice. The DH and I had lunch there a few years ago on a hot day...air conditioning! I loved the burgers at the ESPN Zone, but the restaurant is now closed.

Yesterday hit 3 weeks until I leave for Cali! Now I'm at T-minus 20 days.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to book the Walt tour. I'll give them a call on Wednesday (aka: PAY DAY lol). On a non-disney note, I saw how awesome the WB studio tour looked. I am a huge friends fan-- I don't think I can pass up an opportunity to sit on that couch. The only problem is the transportation. An uber to get there is around $60. I'd rent a car, but I'm still 24 until September and the under age pricing is such a rip off. Maybe I will save it for a future trip. Good reason to come back, right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!