Solo adult taking kids to MK- Arrival time?

VineHeart

Earning My Ears
Ok, taking my kids (ages 6 and 3) to MK for one weekend day mid-October. This will be my first time taking them by myself. My kids are pretty calm and go with the flow and 3yo can nap in the stroller if need be, but I don't want to be overly ambitious as I plan to stay through the fireworks. Do I need to plan to rope drop or will we be fine showing up closer to lunch?

Potentially important notes: We are not staying on site. We have a lunch res at noon and dinner res at 6:15, both in MK. 3yo is too short for Space Mountain, she is just tall enough for Splash and Big Thunder but honestly we don't really need to do either. 6yo's one request is that we ride 7DMT so that's the ride I'm most concerned about. Nothing else is really a "must do" although of course we want to do as much as we can!

Thanks for any help 😊

Good luck.

I did a mostly me vs. the kids trip back when they were 7 and 9. DH had a work emergency and couldn't join us for the first couple of days of the trip.

Anyway, we had a hard time rope dropping, but did manage to get to the parks within an hour or so of opening. Also, to keep them from whining, I bought them too much junk food (like I kept the popcorn bucket full at all times) and "here have another mickey ice cream bar". Oh, and I ended up buying them all the toys. Because it's usually Dad's job to say "no." Anyway, lunch and dinner ressies are a good thing. You'll need the AC breaks and just a chance to sit. QS is a pain with little people starving circling like sharks....

I'm concerned about you getting on the Mine Train. Are they good for staying out late at night? Or is the 3 year old able to really sleep in the stroller? Because your best bet for a short line with the Mine Train is usually right before closing. Like 5 minutes before the park closes.

Last edited:
If you are staying all day I would not worry about rope drop, just get there when you can.

As a single mom I started taking my kids alone when they were 2 and 4 so this is doable. I like your plan of a sit down for 2 meals as table service or buffets can be tricky. You will be fine on splash and btmr if the 3yo measures up as you can sit three across but you may have an issue on 7dmt as you can only seat 2 across and a 6 yo is too young to ride alone. I would talk to the 6yo now as I am not sure there is a way around this.

Anything else you would want to ride/see will seat three - (its been a while so I may have forgotten one - hope not!).

Bring some healthy snacks and drinks as the lines can get long with less options open right now so its not always easy to grab something quickly. Not sure how your 6yo feels about a stroller but I would strongly consider using a double in case she gets tired or for when it gets really crowded and you would want it for her safety.

With kids that age I found it better to just relax and enjoy what we were doing rather than worrying what we may be missing, there is just so much to see and do, sometimes it the silly little things that they remember most!

Let them run around a bit at the playgrounds and such if possible.

If you are staying all day I would not worry about rope drop, just get there when you can.

As a single mom I started taking my kids alone when they were 2 and 4 so this is doable. I like your plan of a sit down for 2 meals as table service or buffets can be tricky. You will be fine on splash and btmr if the 3yo measures up as you can sit three across but you may have an issue on 7dmt as you can only seat 2 across and a 6 yo is too young to ride alone. I would talk to the 6yo now as I am not sure there is a way around this.

Anything else you would want to ride/see will seat three - (its been a while so I may have forgotten one - hope not!).

Bring some healthy snacks and drinks as the lines can get long with less options open right now so its not always easy to grab something quickly. Not sure how your 6yo feels about a stroller but I would strongly consider using a double in case she gets tired or for when it gets really crowded and you would want it for her safety.

With kids that age I found it better to just relax and enjoy what we were doing rather than worrying what we may be missing, there is just so much to see and do, sometimes it the silly little things that they remember most!

Let them run around a bit at the playgrounds and such if possible.
Thank you so much for the helpful info! I did not realize that about 7DMT- the trip is actually a surprise for them so hopefully the shock of going to Disney she'll forget that she requested that ride months ago 😅 Thankfully she's pretty easygoing so even if she asks about it she might be a bit disappointed but she'll be ok. Otherwise I'm planning to follow their lead. We'll skip rope drop and just go with the flow 😊 I really appreciate the help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter