Solar Arrays to Castaway Cay, WDW and Disneyland Paris

hertamaniac

DIS Veteran
https://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney...ies-coming-to-castaway-cay-disney-world-more/
I always drive by the WDW solar field(s) on 429 when going on property, but haven't really noticed any energy storage containers (i.e. batteries). It seems to me that WDW building this new 75MW (likely peak power) solar facility should incorporate energy storage (peak shavings, flattening the duck curve and ancillary back-up generation).

Also, FPL (Florida Power and Light) is in the process of building the largest solar/battery farm in the world and....

"Florida Power and Light (FPL) will soon house the world’s biggest battery system, capable of powering Disney World for approximately seven hours."

And while I'm on my stand, I would really like to see WDW adopt DLP's parking lot canopy approach using solar panels.

@OKW Lover - have you noticed any large containers near/on this solar field on 429?

https://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney...ies-coming-to-castaway-cay-disney-world-more/
I always drive by the WDW solar field(s) on 429 when going on property, but haven't really noticed any energy storage containers (i.e. batteries). It seems to me that WDW building this new 75MW (likely peak power) solar facility should incorporate energy storage (peak shavings, flattening the duck curve and ancillary back-up generation).

Also, FPL (Florida Power and Light) is in the process of building the largest solar/battery farm in the world and....

"Florida Power and Light (FPL) will soon house the world’s biggest battery system, capable of powering Disney World for approximately seven hours."

And while I'm on my stand, I would really like to see WDW adopt DLP's parking lot canopy approach using solar panels.

@OKW Lover - have you noticed any large containers near/on this solar field on 429?

Lots of places use solar canopies, Its a win on 4 fronts

1 - No additional Land usage
2 - saves vehicle energy because cars are relatively cool so A/C requirements are much smaller because it now only has cool car from 120 deg or so to 80, instead of nearly 180 to 80.
3 - protects cars from hail damage
4 - you can safely install charge stations and use the existing conduits to supply power.

Lots of places use solar canopies, Its a win on 4 fronts

1 - No additional Land usage
2 - saves vehicle energy because cars are relatively cool so A/C requirements are much smaller because it now only has cool car from 120 deg or so to 80, instead of nearly 180 to 80.
3 - protects cars from hail damage
4 - you can safely install charge stations and use the existing conduits to supply power.

5 - saves tarmac/surface from damage and increases life
6 - pays for itself in X years
7 - can provide low energy lighting underneath canopy for enhanced security
8 - allows guests to seek shelter during severe weather

5 - saves tarmac/surface from damage and increases life
6 - pays for itself in X years
7 - can provide low energy lighting underneath canopy for enhanced security
8 - allows guests to seek shelter during severe weather

its a win no matter how you look at it, and kind of a surprise that Disney has not done it given the vast federal subsidies on solar

Just drove by there today and it doesn't look like there is anything happening.

Thanks. I have to think that Disney is at least looking at FPL's (or perhaps more appropriately NextEra) solar farm with batteries to gauge cost effectiveness for their upcoming arrays. It is a massive power/energy generator at 409-megawatt capacity, delivering 900 megawatt-hours of energy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!