SOG How far in advance?

dizcrazy

DIS Veteran
hello everyone!

A wonderful friend from college and her father plan on taking her niece to WDW. They will be going on a budget and her father is a military man (Air Force) so i suggested staying at SOG.

They know all about SOG but were told the waiting list was 2 years. ??? Is that possible?

No, that isn't true at all. They may be booked for busy times of the year already...but if you go to their website and you can check availability for your dates--I just looked the other day and they had availability for Dec. 2005, when we want to go.

Earlier is definitely better, so they should book ASAP--but they won't have to wait two years.

:tilt:
dizcrazy said:
were told the waiting list was 2 years. ??? Is that possible?

SOG only makes ressies a year in advance so you definitely got bad info!
You can book up to 1 year in advance so if you want a busier time you'll need to make ressies early, like at Christmas you should probably book the one year in advance. People constantly cancel there ressies as things come up. You should always call if you can't get your dates periodically. Even within the 30 day window after folks have to pay the penalty you should try to get your dates, I've been lucky so far and ALWAYS got my dates. Tell your friends not to get discouraged and keep trying.

I made my reservations 7 months in advance for April - called to add to a couple of weeks ago and they were booked - but I had lots of options 7 months out........... hope that helps... just as a side not - remember that the SOG doens't charge tax and you can buy your tickets there also for a savings....

Just tried an online inquiry for early May reservations request today...Came back with availability...Just be patient online (and moreso on the telephone!)...Sometimes takes a bit!

MAGGIED said:
just as a side not - remember that the SOG doens't charge tax and you can buy your tickets there also for a savings....

Unfortunately the savings are not as great as they used to be since the introduction of the MYW tickets. We were at SOG with friends trying to buy tickets earlier this month. At that time the only savings was the tax. SOG was selling the tickets for the same price as Disney minus the tax. I realize tax is a savings.

We bought tickets for some friends at the Civilian Welfare fund recently,
& they still had quite a few park hopper passes left.

dizcrazy said:
hello everyone!

A wonderful friend from college and her father plan on taking her niece to WDW. They will be going on a budget and her father is a military man (Air Force) so i suggested staying at SOG.

They know all about SOG but were told the waiting list was 2 years. ??? Is that possible?

Unless things have changed, you can only book a year and a week (53 weeks) in advance, so there's no way the waiting list could possibly be two years.

Since the hotel doubled its number of rooms, it seems they don't book up as fast as they used to and still have rooms much later than they used to. Any time the kids were out of school (summer, spring break, holidays, etc), those times would book 11 mos, or quicker, out. The 'off season' would usually sell out 7 or 8 months in advance and there was usually a waiting list (the list would close out after 'x' number were on it). :)

If any staff member at SOG tells you they are full you can ask to be placed on a waiting list. They also offer other resorts at a lower rate but only if they are full. We went in May, 2003 and SOG was under renovation. The origional request was for two room for 8 nights. since they were not open at the time they were placing people in the contemporary north garden wing. They would not give me a confirmation number since they did not have a room yet. When I found out about the overflow idea I called and the CM informed me that yes it was availabel but once I have my name taken off the list I can no longer get back on the waiting list for the contemporary.

Long story short. We were able to stay at CBC for 94.00 per night with the SOG pricing. We were abel to pick any resort and get this type of discount. Of course the price was based on the high, moderate resort.

Hope this helps

mommyrom said:
Just tried an online inquiry for early May reservations request today...Came back with availability...Just be patient online (and moreso on the telephone!)...Sometimes takes a bit!

I just booked my daughter and I for SOG for May 6-13th.... I'm so excited!

I just inquired online about availability at the end of May/beginning of June and they still had rooms available.

I booked in Dec 2004 for our Jan 2005 trip. I checked again about a week before we left out of curiousity and they still had rooms. I'm sure it is harder for busier times.

Since the renovation, SOG is huuuge!
They probably sell out less often since they expanded the hotel.

There are some photos in my sig of SOG if you'd like to see it...most of them of on the "new" side:)

Both times I have stayed at Shades of Green I only called 2 months in advance and got the dates I wanted. Once was for October and the other time was right after Thanksgiving.

we made ressies for 6 nights back in december for this april 4-10....i called this week & was able to add a day with now trouble....i couldn't get the info on line, only by phone. AND they are closed alot...(weekends, nights)
amie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter