So much Disney food is terrible

Let me see if I can distill down some of the frustration:

For QUICK SERVICE specifically (burgers, chicken, etc) it seems unreasonable that Disney can’t get something better tasting on par with normal fast food like McDonald’s. McD’s also feeds hundreds of thousands of mouths a day and their food tastes better (to most people). So I’m fine paying $11.99 for a theme park cheeseburger but why doesn’t it taste as good as regular fast food? 🤡

Exceptions are the newer QS spots like Docking Bay 7, Ronto Roasters, Woody’s Lunchbox, Satuli Canteen.

So yeah, clearly it’s a choice. I have a hard time believing they can’t find another supplier with good margins that doesn’t taste like garbage.
Nailed it!

Last edited:
This is just a guess, nothing to back this up, just me speculating for the sake of this discussion, but I think both the reason why DL's QS food is generally better than WDWs, and the reason WDW doesn't seem to put much emphasis in making the standard QS fare (burgers, hotdogs, fries, etc) as good as it could be, boils down to audience and strategy. DL gets more day trippers, locals, etc. They are FAR less likely to spend big bucks on sit down restaurants so you don't see an emphasis on those places there. At WDW, not only are people more likely to do a sit down restaurant (longer trips, larger budgets, etc), Disney doesn't really want people eating burgers and fries. They'd rather you opt for a higher end (aka more expensive) meal. So they don't put an emphasis on making those things as good as they could be.

I do think the trend for immersive theming has led to some better QS options (e.g. SWGE, Pandora, etc). And personally I hope that continues.

Again just speculating from a business perspective.

I have been going to the parks for the last 16 years and I used to think the food was pretty good and that included the QS. I thought it was better than fast food and the food was better than other theme parks. Since the pandemic the food in my opinion has gone down hill tremendously. I had many favorite QS & TS restaurants I loved and now I refuse to go back. I was there recently and I ate outside of Disney quite a few times. Next time I go I am going to pack a PB sandwich on days I go to the park because I rather have that than the QS food or snacks.

I have been going to the parks for the last 16 years and I used to think the food was pretty good and that included the QS. I thought it was better than fast food and the food was better than other theme parks. Since the pandemic the food in my opinion has gone down hill tremendously. I had many favorite QS & TS restaurants I loved and now I refuse to go back. I was there recently and I ate outside of Disney quite a few times. Next time I go I am going to pack a PB sandwich on days I go to the park because I rather have that than the QS food or snacks.

I think when we go back we will probably do groceries and eat outside of Disney more.

I did find the sashimi at the Lava pool bar at the Poly was a good quick option (it’s not lost on me that this is raw food). I was surprised at the Oasis pool bar that they didn’t have vinegar as a condiment. I don’t think we ate inside MK this trip other than ice cream snacks and pretzels.

There was a time a few years back when The Plaza at MK was good I recall. Good sandwiches, burgers and shakes. And it had some charm.

Now it's awful.

The prices are fine dining, but the quality isn’t. Most are so busy that they fall into banquet style service - the food is mass prepared rather than on demand for each guest. Our server last time at Be Our Guest said that the head chef isn’t monitoring the food that goes out, only what gets sent back.

Even Cali Grill which is sized like a local fine dining establishment, is not up to standard for its prices. The prix fixe menu has odd items like flatbreads that are not what I would expect as an appetizer at that level of restaurant - a brew pub maybe?

The flatbreads have been on that menu for years. Way before it was prix fixe. Many people love them.

So hard to put ANY stock in a post like this.

We have eaten literally hundreds and hundreds of meals at WDW and I could count the 'terrible' ones on one hand.

The hyperbole is strong, and unnecessary, with this post.
I’m willing to modify my position to so much Disney food is “not good”. Others have used the word mediocre.

I feel like there might be a correlation with some of the commenters on this thread and the lady that shoved my 2 year old in the Winnie-The-Pooh line…

I second Gasparilla's for brekkie (and lunch, actually). It's one of the reasons I like staying at the Grand Flo. Gaspy's has good eats, IMO. They used to have this amazing chicken and brie sandwich...not sure if it's still there. Mmm...so good. And if you want a step up from Gaspy's, The GF Cafe is a good table service for breakfast (never had lunch/dinner there, so can't say).

I will say that one thing you have to keep in mind with the cost and food offerings/quality at character buffets is that people are paying for the experience with the characters as much as the food, and those places run a massive amount of people through due to their popularity. Also, it's geared toward children (as is most of the place...it's Disney World). That said, I enjoyed Cape May's breakfast and a dinner at Tusker House. I found Crystal Palace's breakfast just okay, and as a party of adults with no kids, I think we've decided enough with the character buffets already. It's a bit hectic and pricey, and...yeah.

I will say that we finally tried Liberty Tree on our last trip (Christmas) and I was underwhelmed (the table with the screaming child right beside us didn't help). And, unpopular opinion, but I wasn't all that knocked out by Le Cellier either...especially for the expense. It was...okay?

One of my favorite in-park meals so far has been Yak & Yeti (I know...not Disney owned). I also like Flame Tree BBQ in AK. Oh, and Boma for breakfast at Jambo = delish. Sanaa for dinner at Kidani = nice. But those are both out of the way if you're not staying there.

In MK, I'm always good with Columbia Harbor House for lunch/dinner. And, frankly, I don't mind a hot dog from Casey's. It's nothing special, but it's a decent meal and I love the location.

I pretty much NEVER eat at Hollywood Studios, and though they have a few intriguing table services (Brown Derby, Sci-Fi, 50's PT), I've just never felt enough of a need to try any of them (Studios is my least fave park).

Epcot's festival kitchens are always a good idea, IMO, and if it's a time when there aren't any, I like many of the QS restaurants around World Showcase. Again, it's not gourmet, but it beats "typical theme park food."

We've just learned what we like and we kind of stick with that, only branching out now and then to try highly reviewed signature or TS. We're returning to Boathouse this time, and adding Narcoossee's and Citricos since we're at the Grand and haven't tried them before. And we'll be trying the shrimp sliders at the pool. They used to have lobster sliders that were tasty, but the recent menus have them replaced by shrimp sliders. Either way, the house-made chips are always yummy.

just to chime in but I think the burgers at WDW is definitely better than McDs. First McD's burgers are super processed and super flat. WDW's burgers are better "beef" When I buy my own burgers and grill them, they taste like WDW and not like McD.

I grew up eating McD, but let's be honest, most people grew up eating McD so our tastebuds are pretty accustom to that flavor.

Please understand, my comments are based on my age. When I was growing up in the 60's, a candy bar was 10 cents. Today, when I go into the store and see a regular sized candy bar selling for a $1.79, I simply can't buy it. To my eyes, it is simply too expensive (and packed with cholesterol, but that's a whole other issue, isn't it?).

As of 2024, Disney buffets/character dining run $60-$65/adult for a lunch or dinner. $40-$45 for a child. When our kids were younger, we ate at several character meals every trip. The kids loved the interaction. And, although, I felt the meals were pricey, I never saw them as breaking the bank. Fast forward to 2025-the next time we are headed to Disney. Eight adults, since the kids are over nine. So, eight adults at, let's say $65/meal/person. We are talking $520. If I am correct, Disney also adds a gratuity.

Now, let's talk "where I live" and the cost of food. We are fairly close to Shady Maple-the biggest buffet in the United States (google it and check it out). A buffet that I would say is comparable to a Disney buffet in quality. About $25/person/dinner. And, the tip is included in the price. A total of $200 for eight people.

We live outside of Philadelphia. There are certainly less expensive buffets and definitely more expensive buffets in the area, but I am going with like-quality.

Now, I understand-Disney throws in characters. But, we are talking a $320 price difference compared to a like-quality buffet.

But, as a vacationer, you should go to Disney understanding their price point per meal. And, when we hit Disney in 2025, if the grandkids want to do some character meals, we will. My only real point, the cost simply doesn't sit well with me.

So hard to put ANY stock in a post like this.

We have eaten literally hundreds and hundreds of meals at WDW and I could count the 'terrible' ones on one hand.

The hyperbole is strong, and unnecessary, with this post.
Hahaha. Well I guess the discussion is over as the Robber Baron has spoken. I have the opposite opinion and have also been going for years. Disney food is pretty much bottom of the barrel and that's my hyperbolic opinion.

Personally I feel like there are SOOO many food options at WDW that it's near impossible to say a blanket statement like "Disney food is terrible." Some food is terrible, yes, but some is quite good. And that is the case at most Theme Parks, Amusement parks, resort destinations in general. I personally feel like there's more good food than bad, but you definitely have to know where to look.

That all being said, everyone is 1000% entitled to their opinion. Something I'd suggest for those who don't care for the QS at Disney, check out the snacks. There are TONS of underrated, inexpensive snacks and other meal hacks at Disney outside of the main restaurants. Check out Disney Food Blog on YouTube. They have lots of free videos pointing out some great ways to save money on Disney food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter