So, I think I've been "Disney Shamed"...

Yup... people get it or they don’t. Whatever...
it’s my Happy Place..I often joke I’m going thru withdrawal when it’s been too long since I’ve returned ..

My husband and I go at least once a year - just us. We went in December 2018 with 11 people (Kids and their spouses and grandchildren)-then in April of this year we needed a do over for just us-Flower & Garden festival-best trip of all my Disney trips and we are going in September staying BCV (since we bought DVC in April ) and our adult daughter and her fiance are going also (we have 2 separate studios) . we are going to enjoy the Food and Wine FEstival. We don't vacation anywhere else. except maybe a long weekend at the beach.

I may take a Disney Cruise this December or January but I will be back in WDW in May 2020.

We both turned 50 this year and enjoy our adult Disney trips. Oh, and i just want to add that I was pricing a weekend at Great Wolf Lodge for us and the grands and that place is as much as Disney-the rooms are roughly the price of a moderate resort with AP discount and the food is as much as Disney food. I told my husband that we should take them back to Disney hence the May 2020 trip for the day they get out of school :)

oh and i get the "you're going back to Disney again?" every single time i take off for vacation.

The same people who make those comments likely have some other vacation spot they keep returning to, whether it's a beach, forest, an annual event of some type, etc. There is no "shame" in returning to a vacation destination that you enjoy. These people are not paying for your vacations, so does it really matter what they think of your choice of destination? I think not.
Exactly!
I never respond to a friend or co-worker with “you’re going on a cruise again” or you’re going skiing again”.
I say.. awesome! Have a great time, see you in a week! 😎

Occasionally a comment or 2 but I don't really care. I am too old for that nonsense.
We don't t go every year but we go in the fall so we can still relax by the pool after spending the morning in the parks. We aren't interested in doing a cruise or an all inclusive resort. But if that make you happy go for it. We do go to other places and try to take at a trip or 2 to the Jersey shore every year.

The same thing happened to me recently. I work for an airline and a co-worker asked if I had plans to go anywhere and I said back to Disney World next month and she goes "you do know there is other places besides Disney, right?" It really annoyed me. You should have seen her face when I told her I became an annual pass holder, haha.

Some people don't get that Food & Wine is specifically marketed to adults. It does include an adult beverage in the name after all.

Totally true. I got a completely different reaction last time I said, "oh I'm going to the Epcot Food & Wine Festival." And then all of a sudden, people were intrigued and thought that was a cool idea. And in fact, I did specifically make a trip to WDW to enjoy this event. It just also came with a lot of other bonus things to do.

There are a few people at my work who are big Disney fans, but for the most part I don't really tell people how often I go to Disneyland and WDW. I wish it was an interest that more people shared, but it's good to have a like-minded community online here.

The funny thing in my area is most people choose either Myrtle Beach, SC(huge tourist trap....doesn't feel lived in at all) or Dollywood/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg(which Dollywood basically is like Hoop De Doo all the time). Hardly any variations, though some will go to Carowinds instead. At least with Disney, you have beaches no more than a two hour drive away, you have the KSC, and if you want history, St. Augustine is right up the road.
You must live by me. I'm in Myrtle Beach and I hate it! I have a cousin who rents a house at one of the campgrounds here every single year and she is one of those "must be nice" people when I say I'm going to Disney. Now being here at the beach for the past 30 years and a Navy brat where I've lived on one beach or another for my entire life., it does nothing for me. I totally LOVE the mountains and go up to Gatlinburg and rent a cabin every Christmas. I guess it depends on where you are. If you live in the mountains you probably dream of the beach and vice versa. For the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would want to save up their hard earned money and come HERE? As for the haters, I've gotten to the point, since it's usually the same few people that have something smart to say, my go to answer has been just as nasty because I'm over it. I will typically say, "I don't have children and I don't sit in a bar all week long, my money goes to travel." These days I've found that it's cheaper for me to fly to Paris for about 9 or 10 days than it is to do a weekend on property at WDW so for the last couple of years when people ask if I have any trips planned (I'm a stylist and every single client that sits down knows how much I travel so it's the first thing out of everyone's mouth) I tell them I'm going to Paris in the Fall. Most don't even realize there's a Disney in Paris :tongue: Now it's turning into, "Paris again?" You can't win for losing so I just say, "Yes ma'am!" It all boils down to they can't and you can. People these days can't be happy for someone else's good fortune sadly.

This is our cross to bear, people... as everyone has said, it’s ok to go to the same beach or Vegas every year but somehow going to Disney is up for shaming. I’m with others above- I don’t defend it anymore. I just say yes we love it and have a great time there and leave it at that. Our family goes other places for trips but that doesn’t seem to eliminate the shaming. It’s not for everyone- that’s what I say for people that feel the need to keep pushing.
Don't you find though, that it comes mostly from people that never go anywhere? Or people who consider going to visit family in another state their "vacation". I've always figured the jealousy comes from how expensive Disney is and these people simply can't afford it. They don't have a clue about all of our tricks and things that we do to make it affordable. Unfortunately Disney has found a way to close just about every single loophole. AP no longer offers very good discounts on rooms and long gone are the days when you could buy 10 day tickets that didn't expire and use a day here and a day there so that you could go several times in a year if you wanted. For me, it's been the military discounts but I have to be there with my Dad in order to get those. Disney has priced me out and after 30 visits, I'm starting to do cruises instead. Short 3 to 5 day trips a few times a year is for me! If Disney doesn't want my money anymore, then the cruise lines will gladly take it! I'll be going on my 4th for the year next month! You can't beat the prices and not have to worry about spending a penny on the ship if you don't want to. I'm sure there are others out there doing the same. Oh I'll go back to Disney every once in a while but it will be once every couple of years just for a couple of days, staying off property. Last year alone I went 6 times for 4 to 7 days at a time with various different people. After all of the price hikes, I'm out. Foolish on Disney's part if you ask me. Now it's a save up for years kind of vacation and it's time for me to move on. I'm not going to save for years to go somewhere I've been a hundred times. I'm saving for a viking river cruise or something!

Most people just don’t understand WDW. It’s not a theme park. It’s a massive resort with great hotels, bars, restaurants, pools and all sorts of activities including 4 world class theme parks.

If anyone really wants to know I explain it this way and sometimes they get it.

I really don't care what people think or say. I did have one friend who said, "You like Disney? We went there and thought Bush Gardens was so much better. All those lines at Disney were just awful!" I'm a senior and didn't start going to Disney until I was in my late 50's. I lived on a tight budget until my kids were grown and gone. They have all been to Disney and my daughter and her family go every single year. We did a family reunion there last year and it was wonderful. We are all going to Disneyland in November and I'm planning a solo trip to Disney World in Jan. I'm deeply in love with Disney and there is no better vacation in my opinion. There is just so much to do and see and every trip is different depending on how you plan it. This will be my first solo trip at age 65 and it's opened up a whole other way of planning for just me, very exciting. I also love cruising because I love the Caribbean, especially the water and snorkeling. I can snorkel all the time and never get tired of seeing different things in the water. Some people are foodies and just love going to different restaurants to try different food. Some people like to site-see, and that is there thing. To me, eating and looking at stuff is not terribly exciting. There is no thrill like going on a thrill ride with ample things to see and experience and relax all at the same time. Disney has it all! I'm going to look at campgrounds this winter to try and plan a seasonal stay in Florida, buy an annual pass and go on a regular basis with the plan of becoming a snowbird (something I never thought I would do) so never say never. In summer I camp in Conway NH, the most beautiful place on earth (my opinion). We have a beautiful crystal clear river, with mountains in the background. We have activities and people and campfires and tube down the river every day that's sunny. I've never heard anyone say "You camp every summer at the same place? That must suck!" So I feel I have the best of all worlds and I'm enjoying every single moment of it. So to all those naysayers, you don't know what you've been missing...but to each his own. We all have different ideas of fun.

You must live by me. I'm in Myrtle Beach and I hate it! I have a cousin who rents a house at one of the campgrounds here every single year and she is one of those "must be nice" people when I say I'm going to Disney. Now being here at the beach for the past 30 years and a Navy brat where I've lived on one beach or another for my entire life., it does nothing for me. I totally LOVE the mountains and go up to Gatlinburg and rent a cabin every Christmas. I guess it depends on where you are. If you live in the mountains you probably dream of the beach and vice versa. For the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would want to save up their hard earned money and come HERE? As for the haters, I've gotten to the point, since it's usually the same few people that have something smart to say, my go to answer has been just as nasty because I'm over it. I will typically say, "I don't have children and I don't sit in a bar all week long, my money goes to travel." These days I've found that it's cheaper for me to fly to Paris for about 9 or 10 days than it is to do a weekend on property at WDW so for the last couple of years when people ask if I have any trips planned (I'm a stylist and every single client that sits down knows how much I travel so it's the first thing out of everyone's mouth) I tell them I'm going to Paris in the Fall. Most don't even realize there's a Disney in Paris :tongue: Now it's turning into, "Paris again?" You can't win for losing so I just say, "Yes ma'am!" It all boils down to they can't and you can. People these days can't be happy for someone else's good fortune sadly.
I do believe a lot of these judgmental comments come from jealousy.

I’m so tired of hearing how “expensive” and “overpriced” Disney is. It’s not their money. I don’t wear expensive jewelry. We live in a middle class neighborhood and drive Fords, no fancy home or cars for us. Vacations to Disney is how we spend our money.

Life is short. They can all mind their own business.

A few friends and I went to Paris for a week and spent a day in Disney Paris. Once home, I was showing my photos to my former in-laws, and mentioned how the crowds were light on our Disney day. My former sister-in-law replied in a very condescending voice, " I'm not surprised. Who goes to Paris and wastes a day in Disney?"

A few friends and I went to Paris for a week and spent a day in Disney Paris. Once home, I was showing my photos to my former in-laws, and mentioned how the crowds were light on our Disney day. My former sister-in-law replied in a very condescending voice, " I'm not surprised. Who goes to Paris and wastes a day in Disney?"
People who live in France, Europe, etc.

So, last night out of the clear blue, someone I know basically "Disney Shamed" me. Like, it was that "(As a single adult with no kids) Why go to Disney when you can go so many other places?" conversation. I basically told him, "You know, I like it. If it's not for you, that's fine."

I must say I was annoyed by it. This is someone I'm good friends with, so I know he didn't really mean any harm, but why can't people just respect the fact that we all have different tastes in things?

Has anyone ever encountered this? How did you deal with it?
People are jealous. I get Disney shamed, but I also get travel shamed and childless shamed. The same person that gave me crap about going to Disney repeatedly gave me crap for hiking in Colorado and booking a random trip to Paris. Unless I stole the money for my vacation from their wallet, it's none of their business how I spend my money.

I do believe a lot of these judgmental comments come from jealousy.

I’m so tired of hearing how “expensive” and “overpriced” Disney is. It’s not their money. I don’t wear expensive jewelry. We live in a middle class neighborhood and drive Fords, no fancy home or cars for us. Vacations to Disney is how we spend our money.

Life is short. They can all mind their own business.
Those people should trying going to a ski resort, lol. I've been trying to get into snowboarding and it's sooooo expensive! One day of lessons, lift tickets, and rentals is WAY more than a day at Disney. Don't get me started on the plane tickets & hotel on top of that. I just booked flights to Paris and I'm really struggling to find a place to stay that fits my budget, and I'm the kind of person who stays at the Yacht club if I can. Not rich, I'm just the kind of person who doesn't like the middle road haha. I'm either at the America's Best Value Inn for $40/night or at the fancy hotel where you can bet I'm going to use every amenity.

Those people should trying going to a ski resort, lol. I've been trying to get into snowboarding and it's sooooo expensive! One day of lessons, lift tickets, and rentals is WAY more than a day at Disney. Don't get me started on the plane tickets & hotel on top of that. I just booked flights to Paris and I'm really struggling to find a place to stay that fits my budget, and I'm the kind of person who stays at the Yacht club if I can. Not rich, I'm just the kind of person who doesn't like the middle road haha. I'm either at the America's Best Value Inn for $40/night or at the fancy hotel where you can bet I'm going to use every amenity.

The ONLY time I ever used AirBnB was in Paris. The hotel prices were just SO high!

So, last night out of the clear blue, someone I know basically "Disney Shamed" me. Like, it was that "(As a single adult with no kids) Why go to Disney when you can go so many other places?" conversation. I basically told him, "You know, I like it. If it's not for you, that's fine."

I must say I was annoyed by it. This is someone I'm good friends with, so I know he didn't really mean any harm, but why can't people just respect the fact that we all have different tastes in things?

This is probably due to that terrible article shaming all childless folk from setting foot in a Disney Park.

I get the opposite reaction. Folks usually ask for my advice for going.

I definitely don't get I should travel elsewhere since every year I hit one National Park and one international destination. If I'm going to Disney, it's usually an extended weekend thing. It's hard to get shamed when well traveled. Of course, I'm a Gen X, so I've lived far longer than the folks being shamed.

Ha! I have daily calls, at work, with someone from another state who Ive never met in person. I know simple things about his life, usually start our Monday call with did you have a good weekend? Do anything fun? And he knows simple things about me.

I let him know about a week ago that I would be going on vacation and needed to cancel our calls for that week. He asked where I was going. I said "To Disney World". He immediately said "Oh, you have kids?"

Well, I do! But I dont go just for them. I love it there and told him so.

After I got off the call I told my coworkers what he said. They all know Im the Disney fan and laughed. I just laughed with them! What else can you do? A fist fight in the work place is cause for immediate termination. Then I wouldnt have money to go to Disney :)

Everyone I work with knows I’m a Disney fan and at first I think some of them weren’t sure about it but whenever anyone asked me about it I told them that I’m a big kid and I always will be. It’s one of those things that you just have to be confident about liking. Four trips later in the last year and now nobody questions me about it and I’ve even talked some nay sayers into going themselves. It’s all about being confident in what you like. People always look to judge other people, for instance I judge people who watch sports and have no other interests. But at the same time just because I don’t get it or care doesn’t mean they don’t get something out of it. If you like it flaunt it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter