So discouraged... I need someone to sprinkle pixie dust! Even if just a kind word.

Tammy296

DIS Veteran
I have never found planning a vacation to be so overwhelming and just so frustrating.

I've been in the midst of planning a vacation (2 weeks from now) for the four of us. Two of us are having a birthday - my dd Amy is turning 1. I've been planning for 2 months now.

Yesterday I spent the better part of a day trying to get a special birthday cake ordered (turned out I couldn't get what I wanted - pooh & friends) and had to settle for something else at an outrageous price. :sad1: I was transferred on the phone 6 times and all anyone wanted to help me with was a podium cake. :sad2:

When we first booked, we couldn't get the resort we wanted. They were all FULL. We had to take a value resort (the same one we stayed in before). The whole trip last time (first time) was FUN but I was so tired after day 4 I can't believe I'm going again for 8 days sleeping on those small beds. :sick: DH and DD10 is just happy to be staying at the same place they're expectations are smaller I guess. They'll be crabbing by day 4 and it will be me who listens to it and feeling guilty cause I can't fix anything. Trust me.

Then to top it off I couldn't get the restaurants I wanted. Thankfully one person (a CM) was kind enough to change our reservations for us to an earlier time and one person was nice enough to give us one of theirs. I can't thank these people enough for helping!! We still have a lot of problems getting what we need though but that's all right. I'm trying to suck it all up and just go with NO EXPECTATIONS and forget trying to plan anything anymore.

This morning I tried to make an order with Garden Grocer and couldn't get the delivery time I wanted. This is just not my luck....

I'm just wondering - does anyone else have the same type of luck when they plan a trip to Disney? I've never planned so much and so hard for anything in all my life. It's very discouraging. :headache: Planning Amy's first birthday will have gone down in the record books for me. I'm sure I'll have the memory and never forget it. :lmao:

Please tell me where the magic is even if its just dropping a penny in a fountain to watch the ripples go because I'm a very confused mother of a 10 and 1 yr old right now. :guilty:

I'm not having any fun at all. Anyone else find the same thing with their trip? If so, what has made it all worth it in the end for you?

Thanks,
-T

I am sure it is frusterating, but when you get there you will have so much fun hopefully you will forget about the bumps in the road!

:tink:
Tammy296

FWIW....I have been in a 3 day battle with Disney Dining. I know it feels like it but it's not just you they are pounding into submission.
wink.gif

Aw...please cheer up! Planning for Disney can be super frustrating, but all that matters is that you make the best out of things while you are there.
It seems that one thing that bugs you is having to stay at another value resort. Have you thought about calling now to see if you can upgrade to anywhere? Usually, its only about 200-300 more, and maybe it will give you a little jump start on disney excitement.

May I ask, where are your dining reservations for now?

Oh! I so hope so! Right now the only thing that makes me go on is my 2 dd's - my 10 yr old said this morning she had a dream that we were leaving for Disney today. :lmao: I told her NO... sorry 20 more days.

My 1 yr old doesn't have a clue but she's curious about all this Disney & Mickey Mouse talk. My DH is just like -- "Whatever" I can't seem to get him excited about anything. And me... I'm just pulling my hair out with everything that's going wrong.

We went out and bought a brand new Combi stroller JUST for this trip (due to the resort & bus issue). I won't be able to fix the issue with my back/bed though and I know I'll be getting it snapped back into place when we return. Forgive me for not looking forward to this trip but I'm really not dissers. However somehow I come to this site and just figure out all I can to make things as special as I can. I'm addicted. :sad2:

I don't know how to right any of it except to just stop planning all together and think "Whatever happens, happens". Maybe then something can go right.

-T

Im sorry youre having such a rough time with the planning. It can be tough and frustrating. I have no advice but wanted to let you know itll be ok:goodvibes

I'm sorry you're feeling so discouraged, but I have to warn you, if you are feeling THIS badly right now, I hate to see what happens if anything goes wrong ON your trip. It sounds like you are hoping for so much on this trip, and it is these types of expectations for "magic" that usually end up being let down. I'm not trying to bring you down even more, but you have to try to be realistic. Our economy is (you know where) and Disney is a business too, so I wouldn't be shocked to find that the experience in "the World" is a bit different this year than in years past. There may be obvious cut backs, less friendly staff, etc. But we know Disney is capable of extraordinary things, so let's hope they deliver for you.

Now, to try to bring this back to a happy place. :rotfl: I know, I'm all being Debbie Downer right now. I'm going to WDW in 3 weeks, and I have pretty much resigned myself to expecting NOTHING but a "getaway" from my everyday life.

First of all, where are you staying? You mentioned a Value resort, and sleeping on "small beds". Were you trying for a Deluxe? The moderates have the same "small beds", FYI. I don't know your exact dates, but have you tried calling and seeing if anything has opened up from cancellations? It does happen. I'd be calling every day, if I were you! I'd not resort to staying somewhere where I was miserable last time, knowing that the same thing is going to happen again...make cutbacks in other places. I know there are at LEAST DVC locations still available (SSR and OKW) for the next couple of weeks. Could you swing a studio villa at either of those? Would give you larger beds, at least...

Now, onto the birthday cake. I'd honestly save my money. I've heard less than great things about those cakes. Plus, they are huge. Your family won't be able to eat a whole one, and are you really going to bring it back to the room and finish it? They are SO expensive, and how many 1 year olds actually EAT cake on thier birthdays? Neither of mine did. You can get a free cupcake at most TS restaurants if you simply mention a birthday (especially a 1 year old) to your wait person at the beginning of the meal. I would never pay those prices for a Disney cake. They are outrageous, and just not even good cakes. Get the baby a cupcake (and the other person celebrating a b-day on the trip) and just enjoy watching her try to eat it. Trust me, you'll treasure the memory and she'll probably enjoy making a mess out of the cupcake.

About the ADRs, I know what you mean. I didn't have the best luck either making mine. I had to settle for really late dinners some nights, which is not ideal. What are you looking for still? I would try doing a walk up once you are there. May not work, but you could try. I plan to walk up to a couple places where we have 9pm adr's at like 6 or 7pm and just see if we can be seated, cause I don't want to eat at 9pm!!! Otherwise, not much you can do there but keep posting on the cancel/trade board to see if you have anymore luck between now and your trip.

And, re: Garden Grocer. Have you looked into WeGoShop? They're another grocery delivery service. I'm not sure how their delivery times work, but it's worth looking into. Maybe they will have the time you want.

Keep your head up. You're going to WDW! Try to stay positive. Your trip will be miserable if you go into it like that! Relax...take a nice bubble bath, and take a break from the planning from a day or so, just to recharge.

Good luck!

No, I haven't tried to change the resort. My DH is mad at me for even thinking about it!! :confused: He says "nothing is good enough - why do you want to change??" - money is the issue for him. He thinks cheap and I think 'oh my poor back'. To me, money is not an issue :sad2: My DD said she liked the resort we stayed at before but they forget how badly they complained after day 4. We are Mainers and really big things are not our thing. But hey! Their backs were fine...me, I'm just a tired mom I think. I remember getting my back worked on last time. Cranky and overworked right now to boot. Disney to me, is just more work. If I get one smile out of my DH, My DD's from this trip I just keep thinking THEN something must of went right. So I hope I see a smile... one smile please??? until then I just can't get into the Disney magic. I'm sick with worry and dread. :sick: I drove home from work yesterday thinking OH NO the whole way home.....

Thanks for all your encouragement dissers. I don't know what I'd do without you!

Relax:goodvibes your putting so much presure and stress upon your self! Its so uneccery.
Frist of all take a couple of days of planning off the more you think about It the more upset you will get your self,we all need a break from planning at some point. There was a post about re calling back to see If you can get a up grade really, try It there Is cancelations, rooms open up from Block reservations. But just from my experince the beds can be as hard In the value as they are In Mods,so you might want some comfert from knowing you are at least saving some $$. As far as the plans go?? plan as much as you can then what happens happen yuo and your Family will end up happy just to be there,you will see the results In the eyes of your children.

:grouphug: The frustration of planning will help your vacation go more smoothly once you arrive. It will all be worth it. I hope you have a wonderful trip!!!

:tinker:

Hang in there! I'd also save the $$ for the dumb cake and get a cupcake, bring some candles and wallah, instant birthday.

I think at this point (2 weeks to go) it's time to stop the planning & get on with the excitement. Go online and look at stuff on YouTube. Look at the attractions on wdw.com. All that stuff!!

:)

I too think the WDW birthday cakes are kinda overrated. You might want to try checking out disneyflorist.com for their various birthday packages. Otherwise, hang in there.....the moment you walk into Main Street USA and see Cinderella's Castle, it will all become worth it. :-)

Relax! If you go into this trip with dread, you won't let yourself have fun!

Did you try to get into Coronado Springs? They have queen beds in the rooms now. :) I know that I can't handle the double beds either. We spend several nights at Coronado Springs in November and it was SO nice to have a little more room.

For my DD's 5th birthday, we just did the $12 cake that the restaurants keep daily. It was delicious--well worth the $12. And our party of seven (DS didn't eat any) couldn't finish it--we took the rest back to our room. :) Plus, we ate at CP and they brought DD a birthday cake signed by the characters. They lit a candle and we all sang Happy Birthday. :cutie:

Vacations are not always vacations for mom... we still have to do what we do, only we are not at home where all our stuff is... I say book a massage for when you get home :thumbsup2

Here are a few tips... Relish in child swap! This is great for your dd 10, as she gets to ride twice and it's nice for the alone time without the baby. I made my DH and I switch off who would ride first (longer time watching the littleone) and who would do the Fastpass return.

Dont plan everything, but have a plan for everything haha I find my family likes to hear... Would you rather do this or this?

Try and find joy in the little things :hug:

Thank you so much for all of your "magical memories" and helpful suggestions and just kind words!

The CM I was working with really seems to want to help. I was so dissapointed this morning because I can't get a cake in Epcot for my DH's birthday now. They said to bring our own! :scared1: Excuse me? Oh boy...:sad2:

So... I just told the CM I'm scrapping the cake idea for everyone - even DD1. I DO like the cupcake idea though and I think I'll take y'all advice on that one! :thumbsup2 Babies really are easier to please and I know I can please Amy (maybe not my DH or DD10) but I DO know that I can get a smile from AMY (no matter what we do)!! That alone is something to look forward to.

As for the resort issue. I think I'm going to have to suck that one up. I don't know anything about the resorts at WDW & what kinds of beds they all have. You'd think with all my planning I'd know something about now. It's not that ASSR is all that bad (it's not) but those beds are bound to make me work harder in 8 days than anything else. Well I could always tell DH he has to sleep on the floor. :lmao: Just kidding..

I have never found planning a vacation to be so overwhelming and just so frustrating.

I've been in the midst of planning a vacation (2 weeks from now) for the four of us. Two of us are having a birthday - my dd Amy is turning 1. I've been planning for 2 months now.

Yesterday I spent the better part of a day trying to get a special birthday cake ordered (turned out I couldn't get what I wanted - pooh & friends) and had to settle for something else at an outrageous price. :sad1: I was transferred on the phone 6 times and all anyone wanted to help me with was a podium cake. :sad2:

When we first booked, we couldn't get the resort we wanted. They were all FULL. We had to take a value resort (the same one we stayed in before). The whole trip last time (first time) was FUN but I was so tired after day 4 I can't believe I'm going again for 8 days sleeping on those small beds. :sick: DH and DD10 is just happy to be staying at the same place they're expectations are smaller I guess. They'll be crabbing by day 4 and it will be me who listens to it and feeling guilty cause I can't fix anything. Trust me.

Then to top it off I couldn't get the restaurants I wanted. Thankfully one person (a CM) was kind enough to change our reservations for us to an earlier time and one person was nice enough to give us one of theirs. I can't thank these people enough for helping!! We still have a lot of problems getting what we need though but that's all right. I'm trying to suck it all up and just go with NO EXPECTATIONS and forget trying to plan anything anymore.

This morning I tried to make an order with Garden Grocer and couldn't get the delivery time I wanted. This is just not my luck....

I'm just wondering - does anyone else have the same type of luck when they plan a trip to Disney? I've never planned so much and so hard for anything in all my life. It's very discouraging. :headache: Planning Amy's first birthday will have gone down in the record books for me. I'm sure I'll have the memory and never forget it. :lmao:

Please tell me where the magic is even if its just dropping a penny in a fountain to watch the ripples go because I'm a very confused mother of a 10 and 1 yr old right now. :guilty:

I'm not having any fun at all. Anyone else find the same thing with their trip? If so, what has made it all worth it in the end for you?

Thanks,
-T

Awww, try not to stress so much. Remember, a bad day at Disney is better than a good day in the real world. :goodvibes

Planning a Disney trip on short notice is so tough, because there are so many people who plan so far ahead.

There's probably nothing to be done about the resort, though it couldn't hurt to poke around on the webiste and see if something has opened up. Availability changes constantly and you might get lucky.

Try not to worry too much over restaurant reservations. Disney has a lot of cancellations and no-shows, and we've been pleasantly surprised by our ability to get walk-ups or last-minute reservations. If there is some place you really want to eat but haven't been able to book, try calling that morning, checking at guest services at the park you're in at meal time, or just walking up to the restaurant.

Cakes are so hit or miss, and I can't believe this is the best Disney can do. I've ordered two cakes so far and will be doing another one for our next trip, and in the past I've gotten so frustrated with the person I was talking to that I hung up and called back later or the next day in hopes of getting a different CM. On the bright side, that did work and we got the cake we wanted both times. There's nothing that can be done about the Pooh thing because there are some copyright issues involved there, though.

As far as Garden Grocer goes, remember they aren't the only delivery service out there. If they can't fit you in at a time that works for you, you might want to check out WeGoShop. We've used them in the past and are very happy with their service. They'll be delivering for us again in May.

Just take a deep breath, close your eyes, and picture the look on your 1yos face when she sees her favorite character in person or rides Small World or tastes a Mickey bar for the very first time. That's what really matters in a Disney vacation, and it is so easy to lose sight of the magic in all the planning.

As one who also has back problems from hotel beds (not just Disney!) Here's my tip...go to Walgreens or Walmart pharmacy department & spend $20 to get the biggest electric heating pad - out of the box, it'll lay flat in your suitcase & not take much space at all. Every day you're there, spend at least 20 min. on the heating pad - 30 if you can spare the time...and take ibuprofen each night before you go to bed (to relax muscles) Take it again each morning (again, to keep those muscles relaxed.)

When I do this plan, while I won't say my back doesn't hurt at all, it is very much more manageable. And start this plan right away the day you get there, don't wait until it hurts! :goodvibes

We try to plan everything according to schedule, but with little ones you have to expect some setbacks. Now, remember that this is your vacation. It's suppost to be fun and at least somewhat relaxing. I don't get stressed until the actual packing part... Shuddering as I think about it! If you don't get the resort or restaurants you want don't let it destroy your Disney trip! Your kids can pick up on the stress and you want it to be fun for them, right?!

Breathe! Relax! It is only as magical as you let it be. Your vacation will neutral fun. Talk to your DH and get on the same page as to what you want to make put of your trip.... Mostly magical family memories! The resort and ADRs should come seconary.

As for the cake... Save your money for the nice cake and party for your DD when you get home! I would just get her the birthday button on her trip. Get the mouse ears with a birthday theme and have her wear them. Or buy a cute princess dress and have her picture taken in it all day on her special day!

Most of all have a fun trip. Remind yourself daily why you are at Disney!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter