So about this spy balloon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw the other side of the balloon.

24MCK32509ISD_-_500X500.jpg

There are spy satellites all over. And this type of spying is nothing new and has gone on for ages. I think hopemax is on to something. It's a slow news week and this is the latest thing for talking heads to rile the people up.

We have many other domestic issues to be more concerned about.
Exactly.

If it were a real threat, it would have been delt with already.

More likely spying on thier spying technology, maybe hacking it to see what we can learn about it.

Spying on the spies….

It seems China is doing land surveillance to buy land in large chunks for investment purposes. Given the locations it is flying over and their history with doing that, it makes sense.

That said, I don't understand why we haven't shot it down yet. It's flying mainly over open land.
The Canadians could have shot it down as well.

Maybe I’m just naive, but there are plenty of satellites in the sky that can already be used for spying, heck anyone can “drive” down a road using Google and zoom into pretty close areas using google earth. What advantage does a balloon have that is at the mercy of jet streams and wind? Seems more like China baiting us into responding than anything else.

Maybe I’m just naive, but there are plenty of satellites in the sky that can already be used for spying, heck anyone can “drive” down a road using Google and zoom into pretty close areas using google earth. What advantage does a balloon have that is at the mercy of jet streams and wind? Seems more like China baiting us into responding than anything else.
The issue with using Google (whether maps or earth) is the images can be years old. I wouldn't think that would be good for "intelligence gathering".

The issue with using Google (whether maps or earth) is the images can be years old. I wouldn't think that would be good for "intelligence gathering".
Agreed, my point is more that if Joe Nobody can have easy access with just a computer and a browser, I’m fairly certain that countries with access to satellites don’t need a balloon.

What I can't figure out is "Why a balloon"? Isn't it dependent on the winds so there's no direct way to control where it goes? It just seems a strange choice of platforms.
The US seems to think it has some control over its movement.

"We know that it’s a surveillance balloon.... We know this is a Chinese balloon and that it has the ability to maneuver.”"

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/chinese-spy-balloon-has-unexpected-maneuverability/#:~:text=Pentagon officials announced on Thursday,altitude of about 60,000 feet.

Because we just got another great jobs report, the recession the usual suspects hoped and dreamed for didn't materialize, and the mighty Wurlitzer of mock outrage syndrome must be fed.

Wait a minute. This just in. The executives at Macy's have been arrested.

You've heard of the mile high club right? Well now is the time to join the under the spy balloon club.

Meanwhile, at British intelligence, it seems they've hijacked the balloon's feed during one such incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter