Smuggler's Run requests

Mr Organizer

Been there, Done that, Goin' again
Heading to WDW in a couple of months and would LOVE to ride Smugglers Run. But, I am ridiculously claustrophobic :( However, I have heard that the pilot positions keep you very busy which would serve to reduce that issue immensely. My question is, can you request that position when boarding? Has anyone else had that issue ?

You can request but it’s not guaranteed.
however if you are willing to skip a ride its Usually fine

Ditto....having been in Pilot, AND Engineer positions.....I can safely say that Engineering is much better for that....heck, I suffer from MAJOR motion sickness, and found that Engineer kept me focused on the job at hand, and I made it through the ride with no issues.....twice.... ;) I did do Pilot once, and while I survived, it was a bit of touch and go after the ride....as for Claustrophia....I agree with the 2 previous posters....

Any other WDW rides in particular that trigger the claustrophobia for comparison? The pilot is my favorite role for sure, but like others have said it may be the most closed in role.

Mission Space! Only ride at WDW that I can't handle.

My friends, knowing I get motion sickness, talked me into riding the Orange side late one evening. I survived ok. The trick for me was to just stare at the screen in front of me, nothing else. As long as I remained focused, I was ok. I was surprised. I will admit to being very hesitant to ride it at all. But I'm happy I did finally ride it.

The ride vehicle itself does not feel small, bigger than an elevator. If you don't mind not being in the action, volunteer to take Engineer role, you will have all the space of the area in front of you, if that make sense.

Depending on how busy it is, some people have been able to request positions.
I have also read reports of people after being assigned, swapping positions.

The trick for me was to just stare at the screen in front of me, nothing else. As long as I remained focused, I was ok.

That is actually what you are SUPPOSED to do. Head back, look straight ahead.

The vast majority of people who get sick on it insist on looking all around while it's spinning.

I’m not overly claustrophobic and did not have any on the ride vehicle itself. However, I definitely had some flaring up while in the queue. There are some very tight hallways. I was keeping an eye on the plentiful exit signs for reassurance. My mom actually suspects that’s why there’s so many on that queue.

I was never claustrophobic in my life ! Then like 5 years ago I was on Mission Space for like the fourth or fifth time and all of a sudden it was like PANIC....."hey, does anyone else in here realize we are shut up in a tiny compartment with no air????" Only gotten worse since then. Darn you Mission Space.....aaaarrrgghhh ! I actually never thought about the hallways and other tight areas in the queue for SR. Thanks for the warning. Looks like I am destined not to ever ride the Falcon :sad:

Mission Space! Only ride at WDW that I can't handle.

The one and only time I did it, back before they made the green side lame and boring, I didn’t think it would be a big deal because I don’t have a history of claustrophobia. And initially it was fine…but then the console moved forward. I was literally 2 seconds off having a panic attack. If the ride video hadn’t started when it did, and thus gave me something to focus on besides that coffin feeling, I would have started screaming for them to let me out.

Never again. Especially since green is all I can do with my motion sickness/vertigo and they ruined it.

Mission space is the only ride I have gotten claustrophobic on.
As for Smugglers Run the pilots may end up with more motion sickness. My husband & younger daughter who are usually fine ended up with motion sickness. On that ride my older daughter and I were gunners and came out fine.
Last trip we asked to not be pilots (and made someone from single rider happy). We all came out fine that ride.

I am heading to WDW next weekend as a solo traveler. I would like to be the pilot but I am cool with where ever the cast members may assign me. Don't want to make their job harder than it need to be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter