Smugglers Run—Motion Sickness?

Mango7100

DIS Veteran
Anyone have any problems with SR and motion sickness? My husband can do Soarin, roller coasters, and Mission Space Green, but he does get motion sickness on any tight spinning (tea cups) and he tried FOP once—he won’t do FOP again because he felt bad afterwards.

How is intensity for a 6 year old? She did fine on FOP and has ridden Space, Everest, and Big Thunder...

For context, I can’t ride things like Star Tours. I’m fine on FoP (but do look away at times just to right myself). Fine on Tea Cups. No way Mission Space any color! I get sweats just thinking about the backwards part on EE.

We rode it twice, first time I was the engineer and had no issues at all - I actually liked the fact I had to occasionally look away from the screen at the buttons and had other things around to focus on.

Second time I was the left pilot - that ride didn’t agree with my stomach and had me feeling it for awhile afterwards. I think having to focus pretty much all the time on the screen is what got me - I felt compelled to stay very focused on flying and never had the chance to look at/stabilize myself on anything else. It didn’t make me feel terrible, just that off feeling. My DS9 was the right pilot and he had us crashing all over the place, which probably didn’t help things at all.

Overall I think the large majority of folks will be fine and it’s nothing to worry about, but for people like me who are more prone to motion sickness than not, it may leave you feeling a bit off.

I was right side pilot and by the end was feeling a twinge in my stomach. For context I can do Star Tours once and only feel a touch off but not really anymore than that. After several rides on FOP there's only been 1 time I felt a bit in my stomach afterwards and the screen had seemed to have a bit of a blur during the entire ride. I don't care for virtual rides because I will tend to feel it in some way and it's just a matter of how much.

I am unable to ride Star Tours due to the motion sickness, but I was fine on Smugglers Run. However, I probably wouldn't want to ride it right in the row again, as I could feel myself getting to that point. I think the fact that you focus on a task and not just watching a screen might help. So I don't think it's too bad. There aren't glasses either like FOP, so perhaps that would help. I think your party would be fine to at least try it. By the time I started to feel uneasy the ride was ending.

I had no issue with it and I have terrible motion sickness. I do use the scope patch for every trip.

I am unable to ride Star Tours due to the motion sickness, but I was fine on Smugglers Run.

I may give it a try then. I can typically tell in about 30 seconds if a ride is going to give me an issue, if it does I just close my eyes for the remainder; it's just not worth being sick the rest of the day. So I guess pilot is out of the question for me on this ride then :)

I may give it a try then. I can typically tell in about 30 seconds if a ride is going to give me an issue, if it does I just close my eyes for the remainder; it's just not worth being sick the rest of the day. So I guess pilot is out of the question for me on this ride then :)
I was the engineer, and while I started to compare the ride to Star Tours in my mind, I didn't start to feel uneasy until towards the end. I was glad the ride ended when it did, but I didn't walk away regretting the ride or having felt like it was a mistake. I can't attest to any of the other positions, as I've only ever been the engineer.

I was the engineer, and while I started to compare the ride to Star Tours in my mind, I didn't start to feel uneasy until towards the end.

Awesome, thank you for that. I'm particularly sensitive though so I'll probably purposely take the engineer role and even then take a dose of Dramamine a couple hours before.

Awesome, thank you for that. I'm particularly sensitive though so I'll probably purposely take the engineer role and even then take a dose of Dramamine a couple hours before.
If you do that I think you'll be just fine :)

I can do any ride at Disney just fine I get car sick if I read in a car ( or in any moving thing) I felt a little sick as gunner but not as pilot or engineer

We were there last weekend and rode it twice. I can ride most anything. The only thing that makes me a bit uneasy is Star Tours. I can't ride it more than once. My observation was that when I was seated as a gunner I felt little to no "unease" the way I do on Star Tours, but after being the pilot, I did feel that the motion was more intense towards the front of the cabin. Still not nearly as bad as Star Tours. I recommend going with gunner or engineer. If you get assigned to be pilot, offer to trade with someone once you are in the cabin before the ride begins. This was how I got to be pilot and the CM didn't mind as long as both people agreed. Also, most people on the ride tend to want the Pilot position.

When we were there and I was talking to cast members they suggested being the left pilot if you get motion sickness as they control the side to side motion ... the comment was if you get a little kid that is just swinging it back and forth it makes the feeling worse. I keep my eyes closed for most of FOP, parts of Soarin', and haven't done Mission Space in years, wouldn't be caught dead on tea cups (then again I did do them for my niece in March) ... EE is the worse for me with the backward motion. That all being said I road Smugglers Run twice one evening with no issues as the left pilot - my husband was the right pilot controlling the up and down, so that was smooth as well.

If they were fine and liked FOP, they will be fine.. I am good on all of them, but I felt 'worse' when I got off FOP by far, and that still isnt bad..

Jumping on board here - no pun intended. People compared FOP to Soarin saying FOP was Soarin on steroids. Could the same be compared to Star Tours vs. Smugglers Run - where Smugglers run is Star Tours on steroids? If that's the case, I think SR will be a pass for me. =(

Jumping on board here - no pun intended. People compared FOP to Soarin saying FOP was Soarin on steroids. Could the same be compared to Star Tours vs. Smugglers Run - where Smugglers run is Star Tours on steroids? If that's the case, I think SR will be a pass for me. =(
No I would not say this at all

No, actually we think the complete opposite. I had always described FOP as Soarin' x1000. Me and my kids (9 and 19) didn't care for SR. They think it's boring. Star Tours is one of the favorite rides. After we did SR the first time, the 19 yr old, "Star Tours is FOP compared to SR". lol.

I get motion sickeness easily and can only do Star Tours once (my kids will ride it 2-3x in a row if lines are short). It makes me feel sick and headache-y even though I close my eyes through most of it. I only got a little dizzy-ish towards the very end of SR and that feeling only lasted a few minutes. I've been on it 3 times, in all 3 positions. I felt the most dizzy when being pilot. I'm not sure dizzy is even the correct word since it was so mild.

I have slight issues with some parts of FoP , no problem with soarin' or ee and I was an engineer on mfsr and refused to do it again after that. It made me miserable. My kids and dh rode 2 additional times but I just couldn't do it

I'm having back surgery two months before going to Disney. How is this ride should i try it or pass

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!