Small contract directly with Disney

steviebw

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone, first post on the forum so... hi!

We've just bought at BCV via resale. Just waiting on the membership and login information - I'm so impatient, but they've told me 5 weeks between closing and account being opened! Yikes.

Anyway, my question - we've been stalking the resale sites for months looking for a small AKL contract - 25-30 points would be the right size. Haven't seen any for love nor money.

I read somewhere that, even though it's not widely advertised, Disney will in-fact sell small contracts directly, less than their advertised minimum of 150 points. Is this true and is there any benefit to be had from doing it this way (apart from dealing with inability to be patient!)?
TIA.

We also added on a small contract at BWV earlier this year. We've actually done this several times. Once you are a member, you can add on any amount of points directly IF the points are available. If not, you can be put on a waitlist for that resort. It's as easy as clicking on the resort you're interested in on the add on tool page on the DVC website. A guide will call you back.

The advantage is that you get your points immediately so no stressful, long wait. You also could get a loaded contract if you buy at the right time. An example would be if you purchase in July and your use year is August. You will get both years set of points. A phone call to MS and they'll bank those current year points for you as a one time courtesy. You will not owe dues at closing like resale. A few weeks after your contract closes, you'll get a prorated dues statement. You can also use the Disney Chase card and get 6 months SAC if you purchase direct.

For hard to find small contracts, it can be worth it.

We also added on a small contract at BWV earlier this year. We've actually done this several times. Once you are a member, you can add on any amount of points directly IF the points are available. If not, you can be put on a waitlist for that resort. It's as easy as clicking on the resort you're interested in on the add on tool page on the DVC website. A guide will call you back.

The advantage is that you get your points immediately so no stressful, long wait. You also could get a loaded contract if you buy at the right time. An example would be if you purchase in July and your use year is August. You will get both years set of points. A phone call to MS and they'll bank those current year points for you as a one time courtesy. You will not owe dues at closing like resale. A few weeks after your contract closes, you'll get a prorated dues statement. You can also use the Disney Chase card and get 6 months SAC if you purchase direct.

For hard to find small contracts, it can be worth it.
That's so useful, thank you for that.

If you are an existing member, they will sell smaller contracts. The minimums are different based on resort. I actually just bought a 50 point AKL direct a few weeks ago.

On the really small contracts, resale becomes almost not worth it. Between the premium on $/pt, the smaller amount of points, the lower closing costs, the credit card points and the prorated dues, the difference becomes negligible

If you are an existing member, they will sell smaller contracts. The minimums are different based on resort. I actually just bought a 50 point AKL direct a few weeks ago.

On the really small contracts, resale becomes almost not worth it. Between the premium on $/pt, the smaller amount of points, the lower closing costs, the credit card points and the prorated dues, the difference becomes negligible
Great points - hadn't considered those - thank you!

To add, when you call let them know you are waiting for the resale contract to transferred to you. This way, they can make sure the new add on points go into the same membership and may even get that created faster!

This advice can be valid but it's not always true. Always do your own financial appraisal to see if it's worth it. I would say AKV resale is one of the closest to direct but I would still work it out.

This advice can be valid but it's not always true. Always do your own financial appraisal to see if it's worth it. I would say AKV resale is one of the closest to direct but I would still work it out.
Thanks for that - If I read it right, the price difference per point is roughly $35 - so for a 25 point contract would necessarily be that huge a difference particularly if a loaded contract is available. Food for thought!

Curious what the purpose and benefit of the small contract is ?
We own already at BCV but would like a small contract at AKL that would cover a few days where we can just have a few resort days and chill out at the pool.

We own already at BCV but would like a small contract at AKL that would cover a few days where we can just have a few resort days and chill out at the pool.

Ah, I see. So there is no mechanism by which you transfer your other points to the small contract for an 11 month larger booking or anything right ? Lets say I have 50 at Grand Floridian and 200 at Saratoga Springs, I can't get an 11 month rental for 250 pts at Grand Floridian

Ah, I see. So there is no mechanism by which you transfer your other points to the small contract for an 11 month larger booking or anything right ? Lets say I have 50 at Grand Floridian and 200 at Saratoga Springs, I can't get an 11 month rental for 250 pts at Grand Floridian
Nope

If I’m right (please tell me if I’m not) transferred points keep their home resort use year and booking window?

I'd be really interested to know this too :) thanks for asking!
On my 50 pount contract direct at AKL it was $400. It might be a bit less on 25, but probably not anything significant. Most of the costs built in are the same whether it's 25 points or 1000 points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter