Slowing down FastPass Counterfeiters

Of course, Disney could also pay attention to the emails they get tipping them off of these fastpass scam artists on ebay and get the auctions shut down.

I'll believe any of this when I see that stop.

FTR - I think Disney turning these guests away is the right thing to do. If someone is stupid enough to buy fastpasses on ebay, that's their problem. Common sense tells you, this is not something that is supposed to be done. I've gotten into arguements with sellers on ebay selling fastpasses before. It's always the same answer - "What do you care?" That article sums it up perfectly in one paragraph:

But the downside of allowing this to happen is that these people who actually use counterfeit FastPasses are throwing off Disney's delicately calibrated virtual queuing system. More to the point, these FastPass cheats are making that much more difficult for the folks who are patiently waiting in the Stand By line to finally experience their favorite Disney rides, shows and attractions.

The barcode is the way to go.

Have a barcode created on the fastpass at the time of issuance. It can have the date/time info as well as security codes that were created that day (or even that minute, like a keyFOB). Then have scanners at the fastpass entrances, and maybe a live person to handle questions.

Barcodes are reliable, efficient and relatively counterfeit proof. And the entrance scanners won't cost too much.

Have a barcode created on the fastpass at the time of issuance. It can have the date/time info as well as security codes that were created that day (or even that minute, like a keyFOB). Then have scanners at the fastpass entrances, and maybe a live person to handle questions.

Barcodes are reliable, efficient and relatively counterfeit proof. And the entrance scanners won't cost too much.

Problem is, it would create bottlenecks at fastpass lines and thus create longer wait times for everybody. Personally, I'd take that as a tradeoff to all these people selling them on ebay. The people buying them are just fools. The people selling them are scum.

Ahh, Jim Hill. Always reliable. ;)

Anyways, I think they should at least TRY to weed out the people who abuse it. Not like, people trying to use their fastpass after the window. But people who actually print out and sell fake fastpasses, etc.

Anyways, I think they should at least TRY to weed out the people who abuse it. Not like, people trying to use their fastpass after the window. But people who actually print out and sell fake fastpasses, etc.

They don't. Look right now on ebay. There's at least a few auctions selling these. How easy would it be for Disney to stop this? They don't do a thing about it.

They don't. Look right now on ebay. There's at least a few auctions selling these. How easy would it be for Disney to stop this? They don't do a thing about it.
I understand that. That's why I said "They should atleast TRY to weed out the people who abuse it."

All the new FP at WDW already have a barcode.

This could be brought to the attention of Ebay( Reported)
Ebay will then check it out and are not pleased with
fraudulent practices.

I really didn't know what fast pass was before I went to WDW (well I HAD found the DIS boards so I knew a little) -- just wondering if you think the people buying them on Ebay know that they are getting counterfeit items? I'm pretty gullible -- but cheap so if it involved alot of money I would tend to be skeptical! Just wondering what you think or if you believe innocent people get scammed?

Of course NOW people will try to cut the fake ones with serrated edges! :laughing:

Interesting topic ....

KittieCat was posting at the same time I was ... she kind of asks the same question... sad about the scammers! I looked at that Ebay listing - how sad ... I felt like sending the seller a message but I don't want to get into something bad! Her fastpasses apparently are real ones they couldn't use & she/he sort of says how you might (or might not) be able to use them. Bleh -- people sure can be disappointing at times. :sad:

HOLY MOLY! So I went to ebay completed items to see what people are paying for fast passes. 10 fast passes for $125. OMG. This is CRAZY!

The next time you use as a FastPass at a Disney theme park, pay close attention to what the cast member does once you walk up to that FastPass Return entrance.

Why? Because Jim Hill says it? That probably means NO basis in fact!:lmao:

What Disney really needs to look for is a way to shut him up! He is the reason I no longer advice buying the "Unofficial Guide" WHy pay extra for "things JIm made up????"

HOLY MOLY! So I went to ebay completed items to see what people are paying for fast passes. 10 fast passes for $125. OMG. This is CRAZY!

No - What's amazing is this has been going on for years and neither Disney nor ebay (both who are WELL aware of it) do nothing to stop it. Ebay, yeah - Doesn't surprise me. I use ebay but when it comes to caveat emptor, that phrase could be given a whole new light in regards to ebay. Disney's neglect of this has always bewildered me. I've always seen it as a slap in the face to those of us who play by the rules. We all get limited vacation time with our families, and because of people like this (seller and buyer), we're spending more time in line instead of enjoying the attractions which we spent so much money to experience.

Should we be mad at Disney for doing nothing? ABSOLUTELY!

this is such a scam!!

look at this ebay buy...
http://cgi.ebay.com/33-Walt-Disney-...ryZ16071QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That person wants $150 for a park map (that is absolutely free) and old fastpasses (also free).

The crazy part is that their are 6 bids on this offer. How ridiculous! Do these people think this is a good deal? Or are they just plain stupid?

FWIW, that's just the buy it now price, and the actual bids are hidden. But there could be a collector's value aspect with the now defunct map, and I do know of many people who collect FPs. (like I do, but I only keep them for rides I've been on and I wouldn't pay...but others do!)

I really didn't know what fast pass was before I went to WDW (well I HAD found the DIS boards so I knew a little) -- just wondering if you think the people buying them on Ebay know that they are getting counterfeit items? I'm pretty gullible -- but cheap so if it involved alot of money I would tend to be skeptical! Just wondering what you think or if you believe innocent people get scammed?

Of course NOW people will try to cut the fake ones with serrated edges! :laughing:

Interesting topic ....

KittieCat was posting at the same time I was ... she kind of asks the same question... sad about the scammers! I looked at that Ebay listing - how sad ... I felt like sending the seller a message but I don't want to get into something bad! Her fastpasses apparently are real ones they couldn't use & she/he sort of says how you might (or might not) be able to use them. Bleh -- people sure can be disappointing at times. :sad:
I would not try to email the seller - they will have a way to contact you and someone selling fake fastpasses is probably not going to be too happy with you contacting them.

This is the information I got from Disney when I emailed and asked who to report things like this to:
email address (tips@disneyantipiracy.com) or Antipiracy voice mail hotline, 818-560-3300

Antipiracy Group, Corporate Legal
The Walt Disney Company
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, California 91521-0527

I have reported some to ebay in the past and nothing happened. When I reported them to Disney, the auction did end with a message that it was 'ended early'.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter