slo’s VETERANS DAY 11/11 poll - Veterans In Your Life

Veterans - Who are the veterans in your life? (m.c.)

• Myself

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My spouse

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • My child/children

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My parent(s)

Votes: 48 51.6%
  • My sibling(s)

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • My grandparent(s)

Votes: 41 44.1%
  • Extended Family Member(s)

Votes: 52 55.9%
  • A Friend(s)

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I have no veterans in my life

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Other (there will definitely be others) - please post your answer

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
My dad was in the Army in WW II, in the battles of Leyte and Luzon in the Philippines. My father-in -law was also in the Navy in WW II, in Europe.

Tons of family members. My grandfather was in the Navy, and was shipwrecked on an island in the Pacific during WWII. Every few years for the rest of his life, he got together with the guys he was shipwrecked with. My uncle on that side was in the Marines. My dad was in the Navy, and his older brother was in the Army. I also have several extended family members who served in various branches.

As for friends, when I was 16 I had my own apartment about a 5-minute drive from the Naval Training Center in Orlando. Every weekend, and a lot of weeknights, my place would be full of sailors, some of whom I still keep in touch with. My ex-fiancé was in training there, and I'm still close friends with both him and his Navy roommate, though they've both been out of the service for years and years. Lots of other friends also served in different branches.

And I'm another one who regrets that I didn't end up serving. I wanted to join the Air Force right after 9/11, but a friend whose dad was career Air Force convinced me I would hate it. I shouldn't have listened to him :(

It’s me, hi! I’m the veteran it’s me

Army 04-2013

Kosovo 05-06
Baghdad Iraq 07-08
Baghdad Iraq 09-10

3 out of 4 grandparents served. I think most previous generations as well. They're all gone now. The closest I have is my FIL who served in the Navy for a very brief time but was honorably discharged after an accident.

There were none in my adoptive family and I have no idea about my birth family.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest