"Sleep-Around Points" (SAP) - The Thread

Is consensus Best SAP Contract an SSR contract? If not, what is?

• Yes, SSR is the best SAP

Votes: 81 58.7%
  • Aulani Subsidized

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • AKV

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • Poly

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • VB Subsidized

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • VGF (look at the low annual dues and high point chart!)

Votes: 9 6.5%

• Total voters
Just finding this thread now. Honestly, I'm surprised so few voted for VGF. When we were researching where to buy, it was the hands-down winner due to annual dues being historical lower than almost every other resort. Combined with the great direct cost and it was a no brainer.

We plan to use our points at many other resorts as SAP, including OKW and SSR. They are easy to grab at 7 months. Combined with our low dues, it's an amazing value. Much more so than owning OKW or SSR.

Just finding this thread now. Honestly, I'm surprised so few voted for VGF. When we were researching where to buy, it was the hands-down winner due to annual dues being historical lower than almost every other resort. Combined with the great direct cost and it was a no brainer.

We plan to use our points at many other resorts as SAP, including OKW and SSR. They are easy to grab at 7 months. Combined with our low dues, it's an amazing value. Much more so than owning OKW or SSR.
I’d prefer VGF to SSR as well personally. The reason why people still choose SSR is likely because of how large the upfront cost is and although its roughly the same on a price per point basis, the extra 60 dollars it costs per point does have an effect on opportunity cost. OKW really shouldn’t be an option for SAP given how high the dues are.

I use my SSR points as SAP or should I say as BCV and BWV points. I rarely use them any other places, and so far it have worked out well.

Even though I just passed ROFR for BCV I haven't had a chance to use my SAP there yet, but I expect it to be just as easy as with BWV.

SSR is in the 90s right now, and VGF is in the 160s. That's a huge difference.

Dues are almost identical. Sure, it's the same if you view investing that difference as worthless, which I don't.

Dues are almost identical. Sure, it's the same if you view investing that difference as worthless, which I don't.
For that price difference one can buy enough SSR points for an SAP 1 BR at about the same price as enough VGF points for an SAP studio. And having enough points for a 1BR will actually allow you to sleep around.

For that price difference one can buy enough SSR points for an SAP 1 BR at about the same price as enough VGF points for an SAP studio. And having enough points for a 1BR will actually allow you to sleep around.
And availability too. At SSR you literally have just about every villa type available to you 12 months out of the year. The sheer number of room at SSR make it appealing as SAP as the only thing you need to “compromise” at 7 months if you can’t move your reservation, is the location of the resort.

And availability too. At SSR you literally have just about every villa type available to you 12 months out of the year. The sheer number of room at SSR make it appealing as SAP as the only thing you need to “compromise” at 7 months if you can’t move your reservation, is the location of the resort.
Tbh I'm not sure if I'd consider that a good thing, SSR being available 12 months of the year means everyone has access to it too making home resort priority not a thing although I love SSR. Best bargain on just straight up points is SSR, but I have a hard time giving up home resort priority.

If your goal is to stay in 1BRs then by far SSR is the winner; however, those rooms do cost nearly double or more than a studio. Is it really worth paying twice as much in points although you're getting a nice discount compared to just booking a studio at the resort you want to stay at? That's up to you.

I considered SSR for bungalow/cabin points and who knows maybe down the line I will but for now it's studios and 2BRs for me.

Btw, nice signature.

OKW really shouldn’t be an option for SAP given how high the dues are.
I agree that SSR is the best of the two but I guess if someone couldn't swing the upfront purchase price then OKW kinda would make sense in that specific situation.

If you bought 150 points at OKW and SSR at approximately $70 and $90 respectively (about average) the difference in price would be $3000 up front and the current delta between dues comes out to 1.50 so $225 extra for OKW per year. At that point it takes over 13 years to make up the difference between extra dues and up front savings. Of course that doesn't factor in expiration. The extra $225 in dues can almost be looked at like financing?

I agree that SSR is the best of the two but I guess if someone couldn't swing the upfront purchase price then OKW kinda would make sense in that specific situation.

If you bought 150 points at OKW and SSR at approximately $70 and $90 respectively (about average) the difference in price would be $3000 up front and the current delta between dues comes out to 1.50 so $225 extra for OKW per year. At that point it takes over 13 years to make up the difference between extra dues and up front savings. Of course that doesn't factor in expiration. The extra $225 in dues can almost be looked at like financing?
Point taken. I just wonder how much that delta between them will grow/decrease over time. More people do seem to prefer OKW over SSR although I’m not one of them but being able to book hospitality house consistently is a nice perk.

You found it just now cuz I just re-opened the poll to add VGF (after I looked at the numbers closely once I became a VGF owner myself!). I always intuited that VGF would not be a good SAP contract due to the perception that it is the "crown-jewel" of WDW DVC.
I’d prefer VGF to SSR as well personally. The reason why people still choose SSR is likely because of how large the upfront cost is and although its roughly the same on a price per point basis, the extra 60 dollars it costs per point does have an effect on opportunity cost. OKW really shouldn’t be an option for SAP given how high the dues are.
Agree, OKW dues have surprisingly shot up in recent years making them a lot less attractive as SSR points. The nature of Dues being so important makes AUL subsidized guaranteed to be the best for SAP till 2062.

SSR resale and VGF resale. VGF direct is in 130's and 140's if you rent back (Magical Beginnings) to Disney 2022 and rent out (eg. David's Vacation Rentals) 2023 points. Then compare to SSR in the 90s (stripped contracts mainly) and the difference isn't so huge. VGF direct points then carry even more value being unrestricted and usable at VDH, RRV, and future Cabins at FW.

Plus the 2042 expiration date (for most contracts).

I believe the person is getting that price by using MB for the 2022 points and then renting 2023 points as well.

Basically, that’s the price for what would be similar to buying a stripped resale contract.
The SSR points would be reduced if you rented out those points for 2 years also.

If you are going to compare you need to compare under the same circumstances.

The SSR points would be reduced if you rented out those points for 2 years also.

If you are going to compare you need to compare under the same circumstances.

I read that SSR is not eligible for MB? So I’d it isn’t, that’s an automatic $22 you have to make up on your own.

But my guess is that it was just making note that given the current program and incentives, you can get VGF direct down in ways you might not have been able to in years past.

Renting always changed the numbers.

LOL. Sure, if you sell all your points, I guess any contract is free? That would make the loaded 90s SSR in the 60s or 70s by that math?

Loaded SSR is currently in the 90s and loaded VGF is in the 160s.

Simply trying to answe the question for someone as how another poster came up with $131.

Simply trying to answe the question for someone as how another poster came up with $131.
Still an interesting point to get down to $131 direct and benefits of direct and at VGF. tempting even if essentially stripped. A lot better than the 280$ until '24 for VDH

LOL. Sure, if you sell all your points, I guess any contract is free? That would make the loaded 90s SSR in the 60s or 70s by that math?

Loaded SSR is currently in the 90s and loaded VGF is in the 160s.
I challenge loaded SSR being in the 90s. What I see is stripped SSR being in the 90s and loaded being in the one-teens. Average sale prices in July from Resale Market supports that, I think.

Still an interesting point to get down to $131 direct and benefits of direct and at VGF. tempting even if essentially stripped. A lot better than the 280$ until '24 for VDH

I think that was the idea. If I was in the place to buy 150 RIV,,, with my Dec UY, I’d do it in a heart beat.

I don’t need the 2022 or 2023 UY points as my trips through next April are booked. And still have all 900 points from 2024 ready to go!!

It’d get me down to around $145! But alas, the updated kitchen won out!

facebook twitter