Skipping rope drop

We've only been to WDW once and DL once so not a ton of experience, but we didn't rope drop. Really didn't want to get up at 5am on vacation. I think we still got up around 7 or 7:30am, shower (takes time with 4 of us) and grab quick breakfast at the hotel. We'd still arrive at a decent time...get there maybe around 9:30am or so and had no issues. This was before Star Wars land so don't know if that makes a difference. For our past trip, and one next year, we plan on one breakfast ADR so definitely won't be rope dropping that day...want to relax and enjoy breakfast and then head to a park. We also stay close to closing time so would be a very long day.

We've only been to WDW once and DL once so not a ton of experience, but we didn't rope drop. Really didn't want to get up at 5am on vacation. I think we still got up around 7 or 7:30am, shower (takes time with 4 of us) and grab quick breakfast at the hotel. We'd still arrive at a decent time...get there maybe around 9:30am or so and had no issues. This was before Star Wars land so don't know if that makes a difference. For our past trip, and one next year, we plan on one breakfast ADR so definitely won't be rope dropping that day...want to relax and enjoy breakfast and then head to a park. We also stay close to closing time so would be a very long day.
Remember too, not only was that before Galaxys Edge but that was with FP+ so a later arrival was pretty different. I totally agree with rope drop to park close (especially in the summer) is a really, REALLY long day which is why we do it we hit it early, break mid day for a swim or nap then head back to a park that afternoon/evening so we get both the opening and closing crowds, can eat at resorts for lunch rather than in the park and still can take a break for a few hours in the hottest part of the day.

We only go once every 2-3 years so when we go we try to get the most out of our trips. Since we usually go for 9-10 nights we mix it up with rope drop days and sleep in days. That works for us. I don’t think I would like to start each day late since I’m a naturally early riser. I also like doing one rope drop at each park because I like the morning vibes at the park. Same with nights. I do a night in each park because the vibe is just different.

Do what makes your family happy on vacation! If it works for you that’s all that matters. There’s no wrong or right way to do Disney.

Shorter lines at rope drop, and shorter lines at the end of the day, except maybe for fireworks. If you don't have the energy and/or cannot take a substantial break mid-day, I would pick one time, early or late, for each park and maybe alternate those days.

I love rope drop, even though it requires getting up early when your on vacation.
In the summer we like to leave the parks before lunch go back to the room for AC lunch sometimes the pool then head back to the park for the late afternoon/ night.
Also depends on what park...
Mk has a lot of must rides for my family vs. epcot not as much

Right now, rope-drop is really the only fastpass available. Recently I was able to ride Everest 3 times with no wait, Splash Mountain and Pirates with 10 minute waits, and Tower of Terror plus Rockin Roller Coaster with no waits. So if you're really coming for the big attractions, it's at least worth getting out to the park to do a few of them, eat lunch, and return for the pool or a nap. The Rise of the Resistance boarding pass is something you get on your phone from the resort room anyway, so you can choose if you'd like to ropedrop based on the boarding group.

Just curious how many people skip rope drop and just head to the parks later in the evening?

We've always done rope drop with our FALL trips, but coming in July has me rethinking this (even with going back to the room in the afternoon). I think we will just sleep in, do the pool, etc. Then head over around 3 for early dinner.

I think now that they've extended the hours that would give us plenty of time to hit most the things we want to do (myself and 18 year old son).

Any pro/cons to this approach?
Honestly that is 95% of our trips when it’s just myself, DW, and our kids. Wake up, hang out, make breakfast, go swim, nap, then go to parks around 3-4. To us that is 1000% more enjoyable. That being said we are DVC/AP members and I’d guess we have been to WDW 20+ times over the past 10 years (I wish I could actually look up how many times I’ve been), so we very much do not care if we miss some rides.

We did not RD at all last month—first time ever for the last 7-8 trips over 4 years. We slept in, had a leisurely breakfast, got to the pool at 10, cleaned up and got to parks at around 4-5. We did everything we wanted with our longest wait of 34 minutes for SDD (we rode 2 other times at less than 25 minutes). We did sacrifice a ROR group so will do RD at least once on next trip. We do have APs and go 2-3 times a year, so we aren’t concerned with missing something in one trip, It was so much more relaxing, DD8 wasn’t cranky from waking up at 6 am every day, it felt like a vacation which usually our Disney trips do not 😀. I think I am converted at least for now without FP

We have done both and much prefer the parks at night vs day and so we would rather close the park and sleep later before going to a park. In the old days if you wanted FP's (kiosks) you pretty much had to get to the parks early, so you could "run" down the passes. But once FP+ came along, it leveled the playing field for FP's and we have only did RD a few times since and we have totally enjoyed our vacations and park touring 100 times better. But without FP's it's back to early morning:sad2:

We don’t mess with rope drop or the early entry anymore. It’s not worth it to me. I’d rather get the extra sleep. We usually get there within an hour of it opening. It’s just too crazy and stressful and you have to get up too darn early. Plus the waits are so low with everything right now other than a few of the headliners that it’s easy to be strategic with them and get them later in the day. We’ve been here all week and the only rides that are consistently about an hour are Slinky, Test Track, Mine Train and Flight of Passage. Everything else will drop to 30 min or lower and a lot walk-ons. We pretty much walked on everything today ar AK other than FOP. Anyway, it’s not worth giving up valuable sleep time to go wait in line to get in at rope drop when I can just wait in line for those headliners later in the day when they get to their lowest at about 40 min. Either way you’ll be waiting. I’d rather do it later if that makes sense.

We went in December for the first time and rope dropped. It was nice and we get up early anyway.

However, for our next trip, October 2022, we will be staying 8 nights and have 6 days of PP. Since we are doing two days at MK and HS we will not rush. We even planned a day off after Halloween to rest at the resort.

It’s up to you. I imagine we might still naturally RD if we wake up early enough, but I’m not going to set the alarm.

It's been about 20 years since I've hit rope drop. My husband is a 3rd shifter ( midnight to 8a ) so when we vacation, even at Disney, we take it a bit slower. We arrive closer to 11a and in the past I would plan our FPs for those 1st few hours to get our Must Do's out of the way. Everything else is then just a bonus. We go into our days knowing we probably won't see/do everything in the park in 1 day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter