"Skip the Desk". What has been your experience?

With us it depends if we are staying with a discount like - military or passholder. In those cases we have never received a text allowing us to go straight to the room. Once we had a free dine package and another time we had a bounce back deal - both of those we received a text allowing us to go directly to the room.

Thanks! I had no idea they would still be activated. Is there any advantage to that? Thank you for the directions to deactivate. I'll check!

Yes. They can be used interchangeably. Meaning you can still use them your next trip although the battery for long range may be dead but anything that you have to tap mickey to mickey does not need the battery.

With us it depends if we are staying with a discount like - military or passholder. In those cases we have never received a text allowing us to go straight to the room. Once we had a free dine package and another time we had a bounce back deal - both of those we received a text allowing us to go directly to the room.

Oh that is an interesting though, we book with the military discount (no package) or with a TA and haven't gotten the text on any of our trips, I wonder if the way you book (online, on the phone, through TA) or any discounts you book with, or whether you book a package vs. room only have anything to do with if you get the text or not? I think who receives the text vs. who doesn't is random but it's interesting to think it might not be!

Oh that is an interesting though, we book with the military discount (no package) or with a TA and haven't gotten the text on any of our trips, I wonder if the way you book (online, on the phone, through TA) or any discounts you book with, or whether you book a package vs. room only have anything to do with if you get the text or not? I think who receives the text vs. who doesn't is random but it's interesting to think it might not be!

I always thought it had to do with showing the proper paperwork (i.e. military id). Although I can honestly say I have never been asked to show an id ever and now they can see whether or not you have an annual pass tied to your profile!

I always thought it had to do with showing the proper paperwork (i.e. military id). Although I can honestly say I have never been asked to show an id ever and now they can see whether or not you have an annual pass tied to your profile!
I have received room ready texts for pin code offer stays and annual pass offers stays. I have also never been asked to show my annual pass upon checking in and I stayed in 3 annual pass rate rooms in 2016.

We aren't normally asked for our Military ID either for resort check-in, but it did happen once when we had multiple rooms booked at the BC at check-in they asked to see the military ID which wasn't a problem (and honestly they probably should check) but that's the only time we were asked for it even though they always mention on the phone 'don't forget to have your military ID ready to show at check-in'.

I think we have had 8 check ins since they started texting or emailing. We have only received it once, and I recieved it long after we got in the room. We went to lobby because a child got sick with a fever and asked if we could check in even if early because she was sick. They said the room was not ready, it was about 1 pm. She and I stayed in the lobby for more than 3 hours, waiting and waiting, I constantly said she has a fever and does not feel well can we have any room that is ready, I asked for a manager 3 times and they told me the room was not ready. At 4 or so, I said in 2 minutes I am going to change this child right here into pj and you can give her a blanket and pillow. Finally at 4:30 they gave us a room. Later after the child was resting, I look at my email and text, I got an email and text that the room was ready same room number, both email and text came in at 12:30, they made us wait in a lobby with a sick child 3 and a half hours. I was so mad and told those managers what I thought of them.

I've done it several times, only got the text once. Here now at Pop! and I had to check in the old fashioned way. Had to wait in a huge line, too :(

I've done it several times, only got the text once. Here now at Pop! and I had to check in the old fashioned way. Had to wait in a huge line, too :(

I also had to wait in a line after 3:00 yesterday. They did away with the "online check-in line" apparently at POR and everyone had to stand in the same line. We headed to the grocery store and when we still hadn't heard by 5:15 (we were told even though check in is at 3:00, it actually may be delayed to between 3:00 & 5:00) I called and they gave me our room number. Never did receive a text.

We have had no problems with online check in and getting a room ready text - BLT, BC and Boardwalk. I do kind of miss going to the desk sometimes but it is easier to just head to the room with all the stuff. Now waiting in line.

My family and I stayed at POR last December, and utilized online check-in. The second I turned my phone back on after landing in Orlando (it was roughly 1:30 pm), I got a text saying the room was being prepared and would be ready soon. Roughly 45 minutes later as we were loading up our rental car, I got a follow up text stating our room was ready, and links to property maps and the like. It was a really simple experience with me, and worked like a champ!

I've been able to skip the desk for all but one of my trips over the past two years. I've included the details of how I booked each room since that was brought up as a possible factor - doesn't appear to have made any difference for me, though. I still have all the texts so I have exact times for each trip.

• Mar 2015, POP, booked directly through Disney w/ public spring package offer - Text received at 2:51pm.
  • Apr 2016, AoA, booked directly through Disney with passholder room discount - Text received at 11:55am.
  • Apr 2016, Poly, booked through TA w/ TA offer - Text received at 1:57pm.
  • Jul 2016, POR, booked directly through Disney w/ passholder room discount - Text received at 2:17pm.
  • Jul 2017, CBR, booked directly through Disney w/ passholder room discount - No text prior to arrival. I arrived early, a little before 2:30pm, and stopped at the desk. I was able to get a room assigned right then that met my online check-in requests, and received a text at the same time, 2:27pm.
  • Sep 2016, POR, booked through TA w/ TA offer - Text received at 2:30pm.
  • Jan 2017, CBR, booked through TA with passholder room discount - Text received at 12:40pm.
  • Jan 2017, BC, booked through TA w/ TA offer - Text received at 12:25pm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!