SITE MAPS in GoogleEarth

mdoc and krosmith, thanks so much for the encouragement! Knowing that lots of folks are getting good use (and even just entertainment!) from it makes it all worthwhile. There's more good stuff to come!

:santa:

Just a little bump 'cause someone asked where it was.

This resource is no longer available here, sorry.

Shan, I told you I would GPS loop 600 on Memorial day, I did it but someone else beat me to it so I didnt worry about it. I wanted to let you know that I am going back to the Fort for July 4th and if you needed anything else I would be honored to help, be it pictures or GPS routes or whatever, let me know. Donny

I need an Email and I will send you those files, I dont have enough post count to be able to do it through here.

I just wanted to make a comment for the folks that are help Shan plot the loops here. Another option if you don't have a suitable GPS is the iPhone 3g. The Motion-X app for it is pretty cool. I just loaded it and started playing with it and haven't had a chance to look at track detail, but the waypoint data is pretty much spot on. Here is an example taken from my desk at work, http://bit.ly/HVmC6. The app is pretty cool. For those of you that follow Webmaster Pete on Facebook he has been posting waypoints from Disneyland and DCA using Motion-X.

The really nice thing about Motion-X is that you don't have to wait till you're tethered to your computer to upload the waypoint and track info. You can send it directly from the iPhone to Facebook, Twitter, or email.

I have absolutely no connection at all with Motion-X other than it is a really cool iPhone app.

Thanks for the recommendation... sure sounds like a more elegant solution than stuffing a bluetooth GPS in my cap and linking with my PocketPC! 'Course, until Sprint gets the right to host iPhones (never) I won't be able to get one. I'm sure it will help some folks though!

I was playing around with Motion-X at lunch and recorded a track. When posting to Facebook or Twitter it just creates a link with no useful information other than being able to display the track on Google maps. Sending to email is very useful as it creates and sends both .gpx and .kmz files as attachments to email. Looking at the .gpx, it looks like it is recording wpts as a function of speed (or distance travelled). Coming back from lunch while in my car it was recording info every 2-3 secs, once I stopped and started walking in it recorded data every 9-10 secs. Accuracy looks pretty good too.

This is incredibly awesome. We spend a lot of time at the Fort during the fall and winter months and miss is so much the rest of the year. I now feel like I can be 'back home' anytime I wish. Your hard work is much appreciated. Thanks.:thumbsup2

Shan, did you get the emails I sent yesterday? Let me know if you didnt or if I did something wrong.

Wonderful, I hadn't messed with the GPS and Google Earth and .kmz files so I was worried if it worked or not, glad to help and if you need anything else let me know. We will be at the Fort the week of Christmas so we will meet you then.(Edit) Oops, you'll be gone when we get there, maybe some other time.

Just a little bump since there has been some related discussion in other threads.

Just a little bump since there has been some related discussion in other threads.

DH and I have been looking it over. Awesome, time consuming job. Did you see any big difference in 400 and 500. We've stayed in 500 and liked it. Not sure whether to try 400 or stay put.

Is there a reason such hard work by so many cant be rewarded with a pinned thread?

I'm DLing Google Earth right now, and will have a look. Being a compu-cretin, I'm sure I will ooh and aah with no understanding of all the work it took!

Can I be of help with my digital video camera? Might be able to video tour whatever loop I'll be campin on in 2 weeks.

DH and I have been looking it over. Awesome, time consuming job. Did you see any big difference in 400 and 500. We've stayed in 500 and liked it. Not sure whether to try 400 or stay put.

Glad to hear you appreciate the map. As for 400-500 comparison, I really prefer 500. According to my recollection and impressions (i.e. this is opinion) 400 is less shady and feels more cramped, probably because of less vegetation. It is closer to the marina so it is a bit more convenient.

Glad to hear you appreciate the map. As for 400-500 comparison, I really prefer 500. According to my recollection and impressions (i.e. this is opinion) 400 is less shady and feels more cramped, probably because of less vegetation. It is closer to the marina so it is a bit more convenient.

Thanks--we requested 500 when we made our reservations so I think we'll leave it at that. Keep up the good work!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter