• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Since Bob Iger Hand Picked Bob Chapek, Will His Next Pick Be Any Better?

He only got picked cause Iger panicked cause of Covid. Now with this proxy thing happening I don't trust Iger to fix things.
Fair, but quite honestly ypu really don't trust anything Disney so that isn't a real big surprise. :)

Fair, but quite honestly ypu really don't trust anything Disney so that isn't a real big surprise. :)
You're right I don't trust much coming from Burbank since Covid. They have no idea how to run the parks anymore, they continue to make it more complex to visit. They have no interest in investing much into the parks. New night time shows doesn't cut it. They desperately need more attractions in AK, DHS and Epcot for the amount of attendance they get. All that matters to them right now is Disney+

EPCOT expansion needs to be restored. DHS is still quite dated. AK has potential, but is limited because of the needs of the animals.

I agree that D+ is dictating everything, that and paying down the FOX debt… I wonder if they could take some write-downs or sell some of the less attractive IP. Not everything in that catalog is Carousel….

You're right I don't trust much coming from Burbank since Covid. They have no idea how to run the parks anymore, they continue to make it more complex to visit. They have no interest in investing much into the parks. New night time shows doesn't cut it. They desperately need more attractions in AK, DHS and Epcot for the amount of attendance they get. All that matters to them right now is Disney+
Oh, I understand your beef. But to me, GOG, Rat, and Tron were a big commitment. Then came Covid and I don't blame them for putting a hold on major expenditures. I, like you are waiting for new announcements but I don't hold it against them for peeling back a little.

Oh, I understand your beef. But to me, GOG, Rat, and Tron were a big commitment. Then came Covid and I don't blame them for putting a hold on major expenditures. I, like you are waiting for new announcements but I don't hold it against them for peeling back a little.
I would feel that way if most other parks were doing the same, especially with your competition down road working on a brand new park.

Pure speculation... Watched the video on queues and Genie+ made waiting in line for many customers (not all, don't flame me!) worse. Considering Genie+ was a billion dollar investment, Chapek's promise of making it all better might have tipped the scales leading to his ascension. Chapek was involved in the project for a long time, where Iger had oversight true but did he get a crystal clear picture of the mess? Could Iger coming back signal a new future ahead for this monstrosity called Genie+ in addition to a change in comparing stock to technology companies versus entertainment industry standards? Chapek had his two weeks to appease the board, proving wrong direction, time to shuffle the board and bring Iger back to be solidly in entertainment marketplace?
As a side note, I went through reservation calendar for the next 53 weeks, and all days had all parks available. Given it is only Jan, would I be wrong to assume advanced reservations are lower?

Pure speculation... Watched the video on queues and Genie+ made waiting in line for many customers (not all, don't flame me!) worse. Considering Genie+ was a billion dollar investment, Chapek's promise of making it all better might have tipped the scales leading to his ascension. Chapek was involved in the project for a long time, where Iger had oversight true but did he get a crystal clear picture of the mess? Could Iger coming back signal a new future ahead for this monstrosity called Genie+ in addition to a change in comparing stock to technology companies versus entertainment industry standards? Chapek had his two weeks to appease the board, proving wrong direction, time to shuffle the board and bring Iger back to be solidly in entertainment marketplace?
As a side note, I went through reservation calendar for the next 53 weeks, and all days had all parks available. Given it is only Jan, would I be wrong to assume advanced reservations are lower?
I'm guessing they are lower especially when you consider the discounts that are out.

I don't see them doing much to change Genie+ at this point. Iger's return is more to do with Disney+ and the studios side of things.

Here's an interesting look at the castle intrigue at Disney surrounding the upcoming shareholder vote:

I'd like Iger (Chapek 1.0) to be replaced ASAP. He's supposed to find his replacement to take his place within (more) 22 months, but his history is to find someone who is not as good, and then the board goes with him and his "awesome experience, "youthful energy," and "superb communication skills" that were born when he was a local TV weatherman.

Iger's overpayment for Fox may have been the worst mistake in Disney history, and the Iger/Chapek descent into the Disney+ streaming money pit may have been the second worst blunder in Disney history.
Iger's track record speaks for itself, (you don't have to like him on a personal level) but the business thrived under his leadership. Iger's biggest failure was definitely selecting a successor primarily IMO because the company refused to look outside when its first few selections moved on.

IMO here. I don't see Genie+ being the straw that caused the camel to fail - that's kind of a detail thingy that is several management levels below CEO.

I think the CFO squealing about Disney+ cost overruns being "hidden" in linear TV budgets is what did it. When you start lying to yourself on where the costs, expenses, profits, etc. really are, that's a big red flag. It defeats the entire purpose of cost accounting - which is to tell you where problem areas are. I could see other board members being smart enough to see this.

Iger's track record speaks for itself, (you don't have to like him on a personal level) but the business thrived under his leadership. Iger's biggest failure was definitely selecting a successor primarily IMO because the company refused to look outside when its first few selections moved on.
His other big failure is not adding more to the parks over his tenure. I know he added Toy Story Land, Galaxy's Edge and Pandora but for the attendance they get they needed at least double that or more. Each park need more Primeval Whirl level attractions and less E-tickets.

His other big failure is not adding more to the parks over his tenure. I know he added Toy Story Land, Galaxy's Edge and Pandora but for the attendance they get they needed at least double that or more. Each park need more Primeval Whirl level attractions and less E-tickets.
Assuming that attendance doesn't go up when you add, then you would be correct. I just can't imagine that being the case. More offering=higher demand in my mind, quality aside in this case. I can just see families saying "Disney has added so much to the parks, we should plan a trip", even if all new attractions are Primeval whirl style.
I think that Disney's "draw" isn't centered around its attractions, there's an intangible there that you aren't accounting for

Assuming that attendance doesn't go up when you add, then you would be correct. I just can't imagine that being the case. More offering=higher demand in my mind, quality aside in this case. I can just see families saying "Disney has added so much to the parks, we should plan a trip", even if all new attractions are Primeval whirl style.
I think that Disney's "draw" isn't centered around its attractions, there's an intangible there that you aren't accounting for
I know it's not centered around new attractions. Outside of Pandora most new attractions don't bump attendance like most you see at other parks. Parks like DHS, Epcot and AK need more attractions desperately. It's a big reason Genie+ runs out of quickly. IMO you add those level of attractions and don't market them as big additions. My point is they need to fill out those other parks so they have almost as many attractions MK does.

I know it's not centered around new attractions. Outside of Pandora most new attractions don't bump attendance like most you see at other parks. Parks like DHS, Epcot and AK need more attractions desperately. It's a big reason Genie+ runs out of quickly. IMO you add those level of attractions and don't market them as big additions. My point is they need to fill out those other parks so they have almost as many attractions MK does.
from a guest point of view, i'm 100% with you on that. From a business side i feel like they have been adding to those parks in particular, it may not be as fast as i would like, but i think you can say that taking their time and getting every little thing right is better then throwing a bunch of stuff against the wall that doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense. Ie Hollywood Studios when it opened

from a guest point of view, i'm 100% with you on that. From a business side i feel like they have been adding to those parks in particular, it may not be as fast as i would like, but i think you can say that taking their time and getting every little thing right is better then throwing a bunch of stuff against the wall that doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense. Ie Hollywood Studios when it opened
No. Even that Mary Poppins attraction would help with capacity at Epcot. Not every attraction needs to highly themed. Something simple like Dumbo works. Look at what the Cars attraction did for DHS.

No. Even that Mary Poppins attraction would help with capacity at Epcot. Not every attraction needs to highly themed. Something simple like Dumbo works. Look at what the Cars attraction did for DHS.
I would contest that Dumbo is very well themed for what it is. the lesser themed rides tend to not make it very long with Disney. there is also a breakpoint at the parks when it comes to spacing for rides. Just look at Aladdins carpets, does it eat up people, sure, but it makes a giant mess of the area.
personally, i believe Disney designs the parks to fit rides on opening day, if they want to add more they have to add to the parks physical size. it makes a lot of sense when you consider the size of the property Disney is working with, otherwise they would have large swaths of parks with nothing in them which doesn't make sense. The only exception i can think of is Dino land, and that's because that area has always been a misfit since they scrapped the initial plans for it, and Mickeys Toon town Fair which Disney has always seemed to have an issue with.

I would contest that Dumbo is very well themed for what it is. the lesser themed rides tend to not make it very long with Disney. there is also a breakpoint at the parks when it comes to spacing for rides. Just look at Aladdins carpets, does it eat up people, sure, but it makes a giant mess of the area.
personally, i believe Disney designs the parks to fit rides on opening day, if they want to add more they have to add to the parks physical size. it makes a lot of sense when you consider the size of the property Disney is working with, otherwise they would have large swaths of parks with nothing in them which doesn't make sense. The only exception i can think of is Dino land, and that's because that area has always been a misfit since they scrapped the initial plans for it, and Mickeys Toon town Fair which Disney has always seemed to have an issue with.
They have lots of room for more attractions in AK, DHS and Epcot. Those are the parks that need them.

Did that do anything? I completely forgot it even existed. It was down the one time we tried to do it (my then 6 year old nephew was on that trip).

Did that do anything? I completely forgot it even existed. It was down the one time we tried to do it (my then 6 year old nephew was on that trip).
It didn't draw crowds but that's not what it was meant to do. I think many are missing the point. The common complaint at AK, DHS, and Epcot I'd there isn't enough to do and Genie+ runs out quickly at those parks. The reason for that is lack of attractions.

I'll chime in here to say that from a P/L standpoint, Parks & Experiences is a much better return on investment. Again, IMO, Chapek forgot that Hollywood - that is TV programing & movies - is a town chock full of be's wannabes, beens, and has-beens, with a smattering of current talent. All those folks can sop up any amount of money you choose to dump into the system to make movies and tv shows no one watches.

I cite as a prime example Warren Beatty's Dick Tracey. A giant bomb, Eisner let himself be charmed out of a fortune by a past prime-time movie star. It's all in James Stewart's book.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter