Since Bob Iger Hand Picked Bob Chapek, Will His Next Pick Be Any Better?

I believe you would be hard pressed these days to find a top level executive being open to taking the number two spot like Frank Wells did. He was the rarity. He was way more than just a numbers person though, he was the sanity. It's still really unfortunate he had that accident, Disney could've been so much more from that period and Eisner might not have been walked out.

Personally, if she's coming from facebook I'm not impressed. Facebook has been taking a long, drawn out swan dive over the last year. That's not a resume builder.
She was COO for 14 years and what’s happened in the last year is largely Zuckerberg’s doing. No idea if she makes sense for Disney but she’s extremely well regarded.

Elon Musk may be available soon per his tweets.
Wonder if he could wangle individual subsidies for Disney visits? You know, to help stimulate the economy and encourage more diversity among guests.

This. The board of directors desperately needs new blood. People that actually have experience successfully running companies, rather than picking them because of their ESG scores.

Agreed! Iger and the board all need to go. FWIW, I first noticed negative changes in the parks BEFORE Chapek became CEO.

I'm of the belief that he has learned and will make a better choice this time around.
I agree! Everyone needs to keep in mind that he lost multiple selections prior to his departure initially, and Chapek was I believe his 3rd choice. I do think that Iger got too wrapped up in maintaining his legacy and “had to pick from within the company”, that should be out the window at this point leaving more options outside the company on the table

Agreed! Iger and the board all need to go. FWIW, I first noticed negative changes in the parks BEFORE Chapek became CEO.
Don't forget Chapek was Chairman of Parks before he became CEO. So Chapek has overseen parks for a long time.

That isn't standing up for Iger. He has little interest in domestic parks and never has.

Nope. Chapek is just being thrown under the bus by Iger. They’re two sides of the same coin and the next guy won’t be any better.

Yeah, but they're like Two-Face's coin from Batman - Chapek is the side that is scratched and makes bad things happen. Iger is more reasonable and at the very least more diplomatic. I do hope this proxy thing will push him into some more consumer-friendly decisions though.

Also, welcome to the DIS! :welcome: I can see that you've heard.... ;)

I think Chapek would’ve been fine if he weren’t so tone deaf. He just doesn’t get “it” and yes “it” is mostly about making money. But Bob gets the Disney diehards fan base. He knows what we want to hear.

I agree with people saying they’re not that different. But the small difference in them is such a large thing if that makes sense.

Here's an interesting look at the castle intrigue at Disney surrounding the upcoming shareholder vote:

I'd like Iger (Chapek 1.0) to be replaced ASAP. He's supposed to find his replacement to take his place within (more) 22 months, but his history is to find someone who is not as good, and then the board goes with him and his "awesome experience, "youthful energy," and "superb communication skills" that were born when he was a local TV weatherman.

Iger's overpayment for Fox may have been the worst mistake in Disney history, and the Iger/Chapek descent into the Disney+ streaming money pit may have been the second worst blunder in Disney history.

Here's an interesting look at the castle intrigue at Disney surrounding the upcoming shareholder vote:

I'd like Iger (Chapek 1.0) to be replaced ASAP. He's supposed to find his replacement to take his place within (more) 22 months, but his history is to find someone who is not as good, and then the board goes with him and his "awesome experience, "youthful energy," and "superb communication skills" that were born when he was a local TV weatherman.

Iger's overpayment for Fox may have been the worst mistake in Disney history, and the Iger/Chapek descent into the Disney+ streaming money pit may have been the second worst blunder in Disney history.

It's a Gamble.

Peltz's PR has been very good. He is certainly saying what people want to hear.

How comfortable are we with the Parks being separated from the Studios?

Peltz certainly has previous.

https://www.livemint.com/Companies/...reholder-Nelson-Peltz-pushes-for-breakup.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2014/02/28/pepsico-again-rejects-peltzs-proposal-to-split-up-company.html

It's a Gamble.

Peltz's PR has been very good. He is certainly saying what people want to hear.

How comfortable are we with the Parks being separated from the Studios?

Peltz certainly has previous.

https://www.livemint.com/Companies/...reholder-Nelson-Peltz-pushes-for-breakup.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2014/02/28/pepsico-again-rejects-peltzs-proposal-to-split-up-company.html
Peltz hasn't suggested that DIS be disassembled. He's said that parks are being drained of resources to prop up other parts of the company. Many of us said this same thing a year ago.

I think in order to survive in that job, succession is something you do poorly. You work so hard to get there, no way you want to hang it up. To be fair to Chapek, Iger never really left. I’ve had a job where the previous occupant never really left the building. It was an additional challenge, the individual was not helpful, and their presence was not productive or helpful to the transition.

Hopefully Iger has learned that lesson as well. That when he inevitably does hang up his golden ears, this time he gives them the keys, the parking pass, books a trip on his yacht, and let’s the new guy (or lady) captain the ship Without a co-pilot.

I think in order to survive in that job, succession is something you do poorly. You work so hard to get there, no way you want to hang it up. To be fair to Chapek, Iger never really left. I’ve had a job where the previous occupant never really left the building. It was an additional challenge, the individual was not helpful, and their presence was not productive or helpful to the transition.

Hopefully Iger has learned that lesson as well. That when he inevitably does hang up his golden ears, this time he gives them the keys, the parking pass, books a trip on his yacht, and let’s the new guy (or lady) captain the ship Without a co-pilot.
Key is making a better pick. Not sure Chapek deserved posession of all those things. The golden ears alone might have been too much for him to handle.

Key is making a better pick. Not sure Chapek deserved posession of all those things. The golden ears alone might have been too much for him to handle.
Totally agree with you. Chapek lacked the finesse of understanding the culture of the company, and the supporters of the company. He also presided over a disastrous situation (for Disney) regarding tax advantages in Florida. In addition, he could not find a way to appease Wall Street.

That said, my point was, Iger as he thinks about this next succession plan, will hopefully learn some lessons as well. Find a great person, and let them have total control over the firm whenever that day begins.

He only got picked cause Iger panicked cause of Covid. Now with this proxy thing happening I don't trust Iger to fix things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter