Sight unseen - WWYD?

This is us now too. Our kids are all in college now. When we first bought, 2006, we did 1BR with twins sleeping on pull out and DS on airbed. Then they got to bickering too much and hogging the one bathroom we all shared in the 1BR, so we upped to the 2BR. Then they all went off to college and DH and I did studio trips and also did a few with the twins and realized we are NOT studio people. DH is an actuary and also a numbers cruncher and 'el cheapo' so he does push for studio stays. But then when we are there, he says never again when he can't get the privacy to work when he needs to...or when he wants to get up and going at 7am and the twins-19 sleep until 11ish. Yep, no more studios unless it's just a 1 night add on to something (like we have 1 night BWV studio before a cruise in Oct....though I see BLT Lake View 1BR is available and I am so tempted to switch....anyone think I should???).

Also, we all switch what locations we like. Currently we are big Epcot people especially during the several festivals. But when we have all three kids and our inlaws with my kids' cousins....they like SSR for DS. If we aren't there during any Epcot Festivals, we like a little jaunt at AKV for animal watching and dining....need to get our AKV fix every other year or so. We're not big MK folks but could see being that when we have little grandbabies. We started DVCing when our kids were 7, 7 and 9 so they were starting to fade out of the MK love. And the VWL resorts...we'd love to be there during Xmas decor time. We are trying to get in to CCV to try it out...DH loves VWL and I may be able to talk him into buying there (I do have a studio there waitlisted for the night in Oct and plan to switch half my March BWV 1BR stay over at 7 months).

So you can see how to make the best of whatever you end up buying. We own 200 OKW and have never been super fans of there so we use those points at 7 months out to get whatever is the best open option. We have been lucky but I will say that studios are tough to get at 7 months so it's another plus that we prefer 1BR units...more availability at 7 months.
Your husband and I are kindred spirits. El-cheapo all the way! Your thoughts are definitely making the Poly seem more and more like a good option for us if we could stick with a studio for several years and then find available 1 BRs at the 7 month mark once our kids are older. I really want to be able to try out lots of other resorts once they aren't needing mid-day naps. Thanks!

i Totally get your excitement! However-you asked what we would do, though your mind seems completely made up :o-I wouldn’t buy two resorts site unseen, especially right before a trip. You haven’t done a ton of trips, and this is a big commitment, especially if you aren’t going back for two years. Resale prices seem to be stabilizing somewhat and I don’t think there’s the same urgency to purchase as there was say in a December.

Walking distance is important to you and it seems like you have some worry about expiration date too. I’d just buy at BLT then-take the monorail to Epcot and not have to move resorts with little kids every day.
Haha - from a logical standpoint I think our choices are very good ones. But there's always something that we may not have thought of, like the variance in room sizes, how some resorts have more restrooms than others, etc. Honestly this conversation has triggered me to look into Poly, which I never looked at before both due to buy in price and # of points needed. That might actually be a more economical choice for us in the long run if we can stay in a studio longer than we would at other resorts.

I really hope you're right on price stabilization - we have no reason to buy in the next year other than that. So it would be great to wait a bit longer and still pay the same price.

I have bought site unseen and it was a great decision. However I bought SSR because I knew I wanted to stay in all resorts over time and I have the flexibility to travel during slow DVC times.
Buying SSR points would allow you to switch to a 1bed earlier because the buy in is cheaper as well as MF. You won't be able to consistently get standard views, but BWV garden and BLT lake are always available at 7 months outside fall frenzy and race week ends, most of the time studios too.
And if you realize SSR is not for you, using it to try different resorts for a few years and then sell to buy what you'll discover will be your favorite won't cost much (broker fees and closing costs).
I definitely like the thought of trying other resorts in a few years when my kids are older and we don't have to take multiple trips back and forth for mid-day breaks (or at least I hope that will no longer be a daily requirement at some point). I love hearing people say many 1 BR options exist at the 7 month mark. Thanks for your insight!

I too had done tons of research and had even stayed pre purchase in my first resale resort in a room and then in a DVC 1br villa so I bought my first contract there at AKV. My plan was to buy a second contract at BWV, where I’d never stayed, but I had stayed at the YC several times (pre DVC) and love the area and knew I didn’t like the views from the BCV.

After I bought, I used those AKV points to stay at BWV and also my favorite resort GF in the villas there, I knew I loved the GF based on a pre DVC stay in a room there, but thought the pragmatic, frugal thing to do was to buy BWV points and by staying at VGF I’d realize it wasn’t that special for me.
What that split stay did, though, was convince me that what I really wanted was VGF and so I bought there and I haven’t regretted that choice.
If you love the Poly, it has some of the largest studios, the MK monorail is right at the resort and you can easily walk to the TTC to monorail over to Epcot.
My grandmother used to say ‘don’t be penny wise and pound foolish’ - DVC is a luxury purchase, you’ll be paying MFs, travel costs, park tickets etc. for years, think about whether you’ll be happy settling for less than your ‘dream resort.’
Oh man - my thought process is exactly what yours was. I had booked the Poly for our 2017 trip, but swapped to WL once discounts came out and it was SOOOOO much cheaper and only marginally farther away from MK. I don't regret it at all, but I might regret a non-poly DVC purchase that is more "permanent".

But several replies to my thread have me seriously considering Poly as a replacement for BLT and MAYBE even both BLT and BWV. I really like the convenience of walking to a park instead of transportation that I have heard is somewhat unreliable (monorail). But the BLT studio sounds like it probably won't be plausible for long and I kind of hate the idea of moving up to a 1BR immediately. I also like the idea of split stay for the opportunity of doing the dining plan for one portion and not the other - we're trying out out on our Dec trip and will get all of our character meals into the dining plan portion and then eat frugally the second portion. It's a little weird, but I am pretty obsessed with how thrifty I can get my vacations (while still having pretty luxurious experiences).

I honestly wouldn't worry too much right now about the 2042 expiration date. If you want an Epcot resort -- then go for BWV. 24 years is still a long way away...and I'd be willing to bet that most people don't keep their contracts more than 10-15 years. I'm 37 and I bought BCV a couple years ago -- but I figure it's better to enjoy the stays now rather than worry about what happens when I'm 60. If I still want to go to WDW at that point, I'll just buy more DVC.

Bottom line -- if you want to stay at BWV or BCV consistently, you pretty much need to own there. So giving up 10-15 years on that back end is, in my opinion, worth it.
Yes, I think that's the only option if we definitely think an EPCOT/HS park is a great option for us - I don't really have much interest in the Riviera at this point. Walking seems so much more convenient to me than the gondola. Thanks for your first hand insight!

Would bought SSR sight unseen in 2010. We have been to Disney 10 times since we purchased DVC and have never stayed at SSR. We like to stay closer to the parks while our kids are still with us. At some point I'm sure we will stay there but its not a big priority now or any time soon. We have friends that bought GF a few years back and they only stay at their home resort at GF. Different strokes for different folks I guess!

I'm going to be devil's advocate apparently -- I personally think buying site unseen is actually not the worst thing you can do. The idea of paying out of pocket for a bunch of stays at the various resorts is quite expensive -- and if prices continue to go up, it will cost you a ton more in the long run. Even if you buy a resort you hate -- you'll get to learn the ins and outs of the booking system, which will help you with your next point purchase. Plus, if you really hate the resort, you can always sell it, and your downside is basically the commission fees of 6-10%. So even if you got a big $30000 contract, you'd be "losing" $3000 on flipping the contract (assuming resale prices stay stagnant). Seeing as this is the cost of 1 trip -- I'd say the advice of staying at a bunch of resorts is actually somewhat poor advice...financially speaking.

I say check out all of the youtube videos and consider how you like to travel to/from the parks. If you want to stay in strollers as much as possible, then Poly is a great choice since you can get to MK and Epcot without breaking down the stroller. BWV and BCV also give you Epcot and DHS via walking/boats.

While these are big expenditures, it's not impossible to get rid of a contract (at least for the last few years).

Of course -- if a recession hits, be aware that you might get stuck with your contract. It is a risk -- but I do think it's a manageable one.
We aren't going to hate any of them - that's what is kind of making the decision harder for me. I mean it's still a Disney vacation. But I do dwell on things and will pick apart my decision, regardless of what we choose.

Your points are exactly why my husband thinks it's a waste of money to go down there spontaneously. We'll spend ~$2k and still buy whatever we plan to anyway without really walking away with new knowledge. It's unlikely we would sell what we bought and re-buy somewhere else. We are much more likely to just like with some minor regrets. But it is incredibly reassuring to know we COULD sell and not live with it if we really want to.

I do like to keep them in strollers as much as possible. But of course that is a short-term issue since they will be 2 and 4 on our next visit and will only need strollers for another visit or 2 after that. And my 1 year old is actually pretty opposed to strollers, so she will probably refuse to ride in one much sooner than her older brother - she's quite head strong.

Thanks for your perspective!

I know a lot of people are real advocates of not buying without touring, and I appreciate that approach.

However, we bought AKV in 2012 without ever having been to the resort. I looked at room plans and occupancy of all resorts, amenities, online photos, etc of the resort and that was enough for us. I was already familiar with OKW from prior stays, so I had a general sense of what to expect from DVC. We were also limited by where we could buy because we wanted a room that could "officially" sleep 5 in a 1BR, and there are only a few resorts where that is the case. We're extremely happy with the purchase and the price we paid. Delaying until we would have made another trip and visited the resort probably would have cost us thousands of dollars.
I am 100% certain my husband will agree with you - he is comfortable with what we've chosen and we really don't want to wait until after our December trip if we see prices creeping up. I'm about 75% I will feel the same way because I tend to second guess myself and see the negative aspects after the fact. Even though bottom line is there will be negatives and positives with all of the resorts. So glad to hear from people who bought and still love their sight unseen purchases!

Can you buy without touring, yes. Can you get lucky and like what you bought, yes. If your are willing to accept your decision either way then it really doesn't matter. If you are particular about making sure that you love your new home, then tour.

:earsboy: Bill
I am willing to accept my decision.

But am very glad I posted this thread as it has brought up options I had previously written off without researching. Great group of thought provoking people we have here!

Would bought SSR sight unseen in 2010. We have been to Disney 10 times since we purchased DVC and have never stayed at SSR. We like to stay closer to the parks while our kids are still with us. At some point I'm sure we will stay there but its not a big priority now or any time soon. We have friends that bought GF a few years back and they only stay at their home resort at GF. Different strokes for different folks I guess!
SSR seems like a great purchase if we would routinely be able to try out other resorts as you are. Have you had any problems getting what you want? We had such a hard time with our upcoming Dec trip, which is what led me to research buying in. Home resort advantage seems so important - but I am just basing it off this one experience.

Unfortunately for my kids, this is more of a philosophical decision than a financial one. My husband and I have worked with a lot of people who grew up in much more affluent families than we did and some of them seem entitled and unappreciative. So we try to limit the luxury items and experiences they have to some extent in the hopes we can help them develop a better sense of appreciation for the opportunities they are given. I mean they will be getting annual beach and bi-annual Disney trips - their only "concession" is they have to share a studio with their parents. There will probably be some day I want to book a 2BR, but I'm fairly certain my husband will pull the plug on that idea faster than I can pull up Youtube videos of them - he keeps me grounded :)

Totally up to you! Everyone parents differently and there isn't one right way. People who grew up in more affluent families can become entitled, but we've also met plenty who are grounded, appreciative, and continue to work hard and teach their own kids great values. We feel like we can raise our kids well regardless of whether we stay in a studio, 1BR, or 2BR on vacation. I'm sure there are people that think our kids are bound to be spoiled simply because we take them to Disney every year. In the end, as long as you're happy with your decisions and how you're raising your kids that's the most important thing. If you want to always stay in a studio, go for it! There are plenty on these boards that have done so and are very happy about it - a lot seem to like the Poly because the studios are so large and have the extra bathroom space.

I am 100% certain my husband will agree with you - he is comfortable with what we've chosen and we really don't want to wait until after our December trip if we see prices creeping up. I'm about 75% I will feel the same way because I tend to second guess myself and see the negative aspects after the fact. Even though bottom line is there will be negatives and positives with all of the resorts. So glad to hear from people who bought and still love their sight unseen purchases!

Your husband sounds like a great guy! :-)

Everyone has their preferences, but I also find that some people can be extremely nitpicky.

I'm simply thankful that my wife and I are in a position where we can afford DVC and can make these trips every year. One year we couldn't book early enough to get a room at AKV so we booked OKW. A lot of people might "refuse" to stay there? Why? It's a nice resort with a great feel to it. Another person had posted on here once that they needed to be "walked off the ledge" about a potential stay at SSR. Is it really the end of the world to stay at SSR? These are first world problems to me.

It's easy to look up room square footage. It's easy to find out how many people can be accommodated in each room size and how. It's easy to know you might not want BLT because you don't want to be in a high rise hotel. These are things you don't need to visit a resort to discover. Every resort has a different feel, but IMO, they are all nice in their own unique ways. Of course there are pros and cons to each, but I don't find anything about any of the resorts to be dealbreakers. Don't psych yourself out by focusing on the negative aspects before you even do something- you're just setting things up to fail.

Rather than focusing on the NEGATIVE, you should make a list of both what you want and don't want out of your DVC resort. Look at which resorts check which boxes and why. If your positives are checked, then you can't let something like not liking the color of the curtains bother you. It sounds like location is of primary importance, and both resorts check that box. Make some lists and see what other boxes get checked - that might help you feel better about things.

And, at the end of the day if you really don't like something, you can resell it yourself, probably with zero loss, and look into a different contract somewhere else. At the end of the day, you're never "locked in" even though it's a bit of a hassle to have to sell and re-buy somewhere else.

I re-read this post and admit I come off a bit preachy, but that's not my intent - I just think you'll realize that once you own DVC you'll very more than likely feel good about it and will enjoy your trips, so don't second guess yourself too much.

SSR seems like a great purchase if we would routinely be able to try out other resorts as you are. Have you had any problems getting what you want? We had such a hard time with our upcoming Dec trip, which is what led me to research buying in. Home resort advantage seems so important - but I am just basing it off this one experience.
Dec. is hard to get. We here in the DVC section of DIS do go on a bit about availability on occasion - here is a somewhat dated but very useful analysis of availability (I think an update is in the works - also check for most recent posts in the thread)
https://disboards.com/threads/predi...tudios-some-1-bedrooms-prepared-2015.3419112/

We purchased VWL a year ago site unseen. 2 children, 5 and 7. We typically stay in a 1 Bedroom and have had no problem getting what we want at the 7 moth mark. Have stayed at BC 2x, one booked at 7 months and the other pieced together at 3 months (end of August stay). We are staying in a studio at WL in December 2018 and I did book that exactly at 11 months and it was booked solid within a few days. We are very happy with our choice and will eventually add on at BC, AK or SS.

Good luck with your decision!

People can have good luck booking at 7 months, they can get all the fast passes that they want, their ADR's at the time and place they want, there room and be clean and well maintained and all CM's make you feel special and happy to be at WDW. Or your luck can hit a rough patch. I don't like taking chances, I hit a rough patch every so often and anything that I can do to remove the rough patch possibility I will do. That is why we own where we love to stay, MK, Epcot and AK resorts and we book at 11 months. No waitlists, no walking reservations, book online, one less thing to deal and worry about. Did it cost more to buy those resorts, sure did but we are already spending a ridiculous amount of money on our Disney vacations. Spending extra to stay where we want, when we want I guess in our minds justifies our vacation budget. :smickey:

:earsboy: Bill

When buying resale, time is your friend. If you are in a hurry you buy direct. If I understood your original post, you have already rented points for your next stay, and you will not need your resale purchase until over a year after your next vacation. That is plenty of time for you to look around and visit resorts that you think you might like. It takes about 3 months to close on a resale, so you can take your time and look around. You can still get points before you need them. There is some danger that prices will continue to rise, but there is no way to know. It could also be the case that the prices are currently at a peak.

When buying resale, time is your friend. If you are in a hurry you buy direct. If I understood your original post, you have already rented points for your next stay, and you will not need your resale purchase until over a year after your next vacation. That is plenty of time for you to look around and visit resorts that you think you might like. It takes about 3 months to close on a resale, so you can take your time and look around. You can still get points before you need them. There is some danger that prices will continue to rise, but there is no way to know. It could also be the case that the prices are currently at a peak.
Yes, your understanding is correct. We won’t make a purchase before 2019 unless it looks like prices are rising. So we want to have a game plan ready in case that’s sooner rather than later. My husband thinks we should make this plan from our online research and minimal first hand experience. I would feel slightly more confident in our decision if we tried before we bought, but not sure I want to spend the money an impromptu trip would cost. If prices would temporarily decrease until December, that would be the perfect scenario :)

Your husband sounds like a great guy! :-)

Everyone has their preferences, but I also find that some people can be extremely nitpicky.

I'm simply thankful that my wife and I are in a position where we can afford DVC and can make these trips every year. One year we couldn't book early enough to get a room at AKV so we booked OKW. A lot of people might "refuse" to stay there? Why? It's a nice resort with a great feel to it. Another person had posted on here once that they needed to be "walked off the ledge" about a potential stay at SSR. Is it really the end of the world to stay at SSR? These are first world problems to me.

It's easy to look up room square footage. It's easy to find out how many people can be accommodated in each room size and how. It's easy to know you might not want BLT because you don't want to be in a high rise hotel. These are things you don't need to visit a resort to discover. Every resort has a different feel, but IMO, they are all nice in their own unique ways. Of course there are pros and cons to each, but I don't find anything about any of the resorts to be dealbreakers. Don't psych yourself out by focusing on the negative aspects before you even do something- you're just setting things up to fail.

Rather than focusing on the NEGATIVE, you should make a list of both what you want and don't want out of your DVC resort. Look at which resorts check which boxes and why. If your positives are checked, then you can't let something like not liking the color of the curtains bother you. It sounds like location is of primary importance, and both resorts check that box. Make some lists and see what other boxes get checked - that might help you feel better about things.

And, at the end of the day if you really don't like something, you can resell it yourself, probably with zero loss, and look into a different contract somewhere else. At the end of the day, you're never "locked in" even though it's a bit of a hassle to have to sell and re-buy somewhere else.

I re-read this post and admit I come off a bit preachy, but that's not my intent - I just think you'll realize that once you own DVC you'll very more than likely feel good about it and will enjoy your trips, so don't second guess yourself too much.
Not at all! I need a good pep talk when I’m caught up in the minutiae.

You make a great point that we will absolutely have a good vacation regardless of where we stay.

I don’t really care about the decor at any of the resorts when making this decision (though the overall atmosphere can be a great enhancement). But there are some inconveniences that can really impact a trip. We stayed at WL when they were renovating and their QS was closed so I had to go to the opposite side of the resort to get Coke Zero every morning and it wasn’t a short, quick trip. I will not go without it, so the one morning I was running late I didn’t have time to fill up before we headed to EPCOT. So I then spent 20 minutes and probably $5 finding a bottle of it after we got to the park (after hitting up our rope drop must see attractions). Not a huge deal, but I would get extremely annoyed if I had to walk through an entire resort to fill my mug every single time. And my husband gets annoyed every time he’s reminded of my Coke Zero determination. So maybe my post should be - do all resorts have Coke Zero in their rapid refill and which room is the closest?

But more importantly, I didn’t realize how tiny the BLT studios were even after watching several videos of them. The videos don’t usually show the room with all of the beds pulled out, so I didn’t catch how little room we will have when we’re actually using them. Fortunately I saw a post on disboards saying someone wouldn’t stay there with more than 2 people and I did more research, but this was after I’d already made my decision that BLT was absolutely the place for us. That’s a pretty substantial difference if we have to immediately get a 1br instead of the studio I thought we’d buy for the first 5ish years. I’d still love the location and their 1 br looks awesome, so it’s not a deal breaker. But it does make me less confident that I can pick up on all the important details without actually trying the resort. And now that I’ve really analyzed the point differential on the poly studio vs blt 1br instead of studio to studio, poly seems like a much better value than I originally thought it would be.

So it overall was a good thing I second guessed myself since it led me to post here and get some really valuable advice.

We stayed at WL when they were renovating and their QS was closed so I had to go to the opposite side of the resort to get Coke Zero every morning and it wasn’t a short, quick trip. I will not go without it, so the one morning I was running late I didn’t have time to fill up before we headed to EPCOT. So I then spent 20 minutes and probably $5 finding a bottle of it after we got to the park (after hitting up our rope drop must see attractions). Not a huge deal, but I would get extremely annoyed if I had to walk through an entire resort to fill my mug every single time. And my husband gets annoyed every time he’s reminded of my Coke Zero determination. So maybe my post should be - do all resorts have Coke Zero in their rapid refill and which room is the closest?

I’ve only stayed at BLT once, but the trek to fill up my soda mug felt like forever. Maybe not as far as being at the end of the Kidani hall, but you have to go all the way over to the Contemporary. I’m interested in hearing others thoughts on how far the quick service place is!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter