Show Me Your Smolder! October 2012 B-Day TR NEW 4/1 Trip Wrap Up & NEW PTR LINK!

Those scratch tests are awful, but it's good that you now know what your DS is allergic to and can prevent future bad episodes at your parent's house.

Hmm, I can see how the drop in Pirates might scare a toddler, but the carasol surprised me. I guess your DS just wasn't in the ride mood on that trip. :confused3

Those scratch tests are awful, but it's good that you now know what your DS is allergic to and can prevent future bad episodes at your parent's house.

Hmm, I can see how the drop in Pirates might scare a toddler, but the carasol surprised me. I guess your DS just wasn't in the ride mood on that trip. :confused3

Yeah, even though it was awful to do at the time, I'm glad we did it and know what his triggers actually are. It makes so much sense now! And my mom is already planning to take lots of precautions so Paxton can still go sleep at her house, hopefully without being as miserable as he was in the past.

Believe me, the carousel was a surprise to us too! My parents tried to take him on it later in the trip, and he did the same thing to them (we had forgotten to warn them!), so I don't know what it was about this trip in particular, but he was definitely NOT a fan of the carousel!

Your pictures from outside of the Barbershop are also great.

Please ask your DH how he got the shot of the ghosts in the dining room at the HM. I try and try but never get the camera to focus on anything. Please ask him what manual mode he is using on what he is doing with light balance and iso. I also can never get the hitch hiking ghosts. I've got be doing something wrong with the manual settings.

Great update!
I haven't forgot about you. Thanks for the kind words. Vacation is the only time I really get a chance to play with settings and try new things out. I love trying to get shots I don't have.

Most of them were taken with f/2.8, ISO 1600, 1/40-70sec.

The ride moves to much to go any lower on the shutter speed, the best you can hope for is the ride to stop somewhere where you want pictures and can play with your settings. 1600 ISO causes more noise in the shots than I would like but it was the only way I could get decent shots that you could see. 800 everything was too dark.

Day 2 Continued: Sunday October 21st

Okay, it's time to wrap day 2! I feel like it's taking forever to get through this day, and it's not even day we took the most pictures, not by a long shot!

When I left off, we had just left the Enchanted Tiki Room and were headed to Main Street for the parade. We stopped in the Art store again in search of Larry Dotson, thinking we might buy a print of of his of the train station with the train out and have it personalized for DS's birthday, but after waiting around awhile while he was on break, we decided to just go get a spot for the parade.

The Emporium side of Main Street was completely packed because it was the side in the shade. There was plenty of open space on the other side, but we went down to the corner near the Confectionery and were able to get a spot right up against the rope with just a few minutes to go until the parade started. We were in the sun, but the parade is not too long, so we stuck it out.

0351.jpg

He was happy to see the parade approaching :goodvibes

0356.jpg

0361.jpg

0363.jpg

0364.jpg

0365.jpg

High-five from Woody!

0370.jpg

Hey, there's Mouse!

0375.jpg

Fascinated

0378.jpg

0380.jpg

0382.jpg

0385.jpg

0387.jpg

Up close with Abu

0388.jpg

0390.jpg

0392.jpg

0394.jpg

0395.jpg

0400.jpg

0403.jpg

Too bad I couldn't toss his autograph book up there for Ariel to sign...This was our only glimpse of Ariel all week!

0405.jpg

We all really enjoyed the parade! I don't remember if I have ever seen it before, and if I did, it was a different iteration many many years ago. It was a definite first for DS, and he seemed to really enjoy seeing all the characters and having them wave to him and come up close for high fives and pats on the head. :lovestruc Since it was a little before 4 pm, we decided to head out of Magic Kingdom and go over to Bonnet Creek to see if our room was ready.

Continued in next post...

Day 2 Continued: Sunday October 21st

We got over to Bonnet Creek in almost no time at all and went to the main building to check in. There was a lot of activity going on, there was a line at the check in desk, and DS was being a toddler, so it felt like a VERY long wait until we got up to the counter. We asked about our request for a fireworks view, but there were no units available at the time. He told us we could wait, but that it could be up to 2 hours before one was available, so we just said we'd rather take what was ready now. He did tell us about a model room they open up on the top floor of our building (Building 2) every night that we could watch them from though.

Once we had our rooms keys and parking pass, we moved the car over to the next building and started moving things inside. I did manage to get some pictures of the unit before we moved and spread out.

0408.jpg

Coming through the door, the dining room was to the immediate left

0409.jpg

Then the kitchen with the breakfast bar

0410.jpg

0411.jpg

And the living room

Moving through the living room, we come to the...

0412.jpg

Master bedroom

0413.jpg

Jacuzzi tub and sink/vanity part of the master bathroom

0414.jpg

Shower/toilet part of the master bathroom (separated by a door, which made it great for taking showers and getting ready for bed at night!)

Going back to the front door, to the immediate right is the laundry area...

0407.jpg

Second bathroom

0415.jpg

0416.jpg

Second bedroom

0421.jpg

View from the balcony

We started unpacking, and in talking about what to do that evening, we made the decision to skip church that evening. It really killed me because I HATE missing Mass, and we always go on vacation, but the timing that day was just not lining up. We didn't have time to eat before hand, and with DS not getting a nap I didn't foresee him sitting quietly through Mass or being able to wait until after for dinner. Looking at my PTR, I had also wanted to go to Animal Kingdom that afternoon (Geez, ambitious much?! :lmao:) and that obviously wasn't happening. We didn't even feel like getting in the car to go get dinner! So DH ordered us a Dinner Box from Pizza Hut, which was a medium pepperoni pizza, breadsticks, and cinnasticks.

As we moved around in the kitchen, I noticed a huge puddle of water coming from the dishwasher, so we called maintenance to come check it out. The guy ended up showing up as we were eating, which was a little awkward. But the problem ended up being more extensive than he thought and needed a part he couldn't get until the next day. I didn't care really, I was just glad that after unpacking everything they weren't telling us we needed to move!

Also at some point they brought up the highchair and Pack & Play for DS to use.

Right about the time we finished eating, my parents arrived! DS was very excited to see Nonni & Poppi making an appearance. Once we had helped them get their luggage up from their car, we decided to divide up. Poppi & I went to Publix while DH and Nonni stayed back with DS to get him bathed and ready for bed.

My parents, since they were driving, had been able to bring a lot with them foodwise. My mom had gone to Sam's Club to get a huge box of assorted snack packs (Teddy Grahams, Nutter Butters, Chips Ahoy, Oreos, and Ritz Bitz), a box of Pringles snack packs, and a case of bottled waters, Cokes, and orange juice. So what we were going to get was breakfast items for everyone, and the fixings for our taco night later in the week. My dad was so funny in the aisle picking out our tortillas. We talked about soft or hard for a minute before I saw a box of 6 hard shells and 6 soft. Sounded perfect! He started worrying that wasn't going to be enough. :confused3 I kept trying to tell him, DH and I would only eat 2 each, DS probably wouldn't even eat one, so that just left him and my mom to have 8 between them and my mom is not a big eater, so she would probably only have 1. I thought I had convinced him it would be plenty, but he snuck off from me later to get a couple of frozen burritos (that he ended up not even eating...Ha!). He also had to pick up something for him and my mom to get that night so he grabbed a little skillet meal for 2, and I got DS's diapers, wipes, and a couple of emergency back up toddler meals just in case.

When we went to check out, all I had with me was DH's wallet since I don't bring a purse on vacation, and my driver's license was in there with our credit cards. I took it out to pay and the guy bagging the groceries says, "Hey, I have that same wallet." I told him that probably was true because it was my husband's. The girl ringing me up obviously hadn't looked at the wallet, because she turned to the bagger when I said that and told him, "I was wondering why you'd have the same wallet as a girl!" :rotfl: Maybe it was a "you had to be there" moment, but it was pretty funny!

Groceries purchased, it was time to head back to Bonnet Creek. DS had gotten his bath, and I was informed that putting those stickers on his thighs during the hair cut had ended up a bad idea. They had apparently baked on in the sun all day, and were horrible to get off! Words of wisdom, no stickers on the thighs!!

The rest of the night was uneventful. I read DS some books and put him to bed in the PnP in the living room while DH and I closed ourselves in the bedroom to shower and get the park bag packed and ready for the next day! We tried watching some football, but we were both so tired we knocked right out for the night.

UP NEXT: Epcot

"Celebrate a Dream Come True" has quickly become one of my favorite parades. I could hear the parade music/song in my head while browsing through your pics!

I don't think I've seen Prince Eric in that particular outfit before - more used to his "shipwreck" outfit. :rotfl:

I haven't forgot about you. Thanks for the kind words. Vacation is the only time I really get a chance to play with settings and try new things out. I love trying to get shots I don't have.

Most of them were taken with f/2.8, ISO 1600, 1/40-70sec.

The ride moves to much to go any lower on the shutter speed, the best you can hope for is the ride to stop somewhere where you want pictures and can play with your settings. 1600 ISO causes more noise in the shots than I would like but it was the only way I could get decent shots that you could see. 800 everything was too dark.

Thanks for your answer. I think the key for me is to set the iso. I use an auto setting and will remember to take the time to actually set it at 1600 for consistency.

Your pictures are great. Love them!

OK - back to read!

Bonnet Creek is so nice. What a nice big unit with a great view. Too bad about the dishwasher, but you definitely took it in stride.

Your dad is so cute - worried about running out of food.

That parade is so cute. I really love it and my timing is always off so I rarely see it.

Hmmmm - Can't even remember what we did on the 21st, but I know we went to HS for dinner. Good thing I took a lot of pictures to jog my memory. :rotfl:

Your WBC unit was decorated totally different from ours. We had orange chairs at the bar, a blue couch and different carpet.

I laughed at him avoiding the carousel ride "like an old girlfriend". DS did that the first trip every time we passed Dumbo. :lmao:

"Celebrate a Dream Come True" has quickly become one of my favorite parades. I could hear the parade music/song in my head while browsing through your pics!

I don't think I've seen Prince Eric in that particular outfit before - more used to his "shipwreck" outfit. :rotfl:

It was a really adorable parade! I was glad we had finally made time for it. We usually miss it since it falls during our afternoon nap/break, so what better day to see it than the day you are "homeless" and between resorts, right? I was listening to the music as I was picking a title for the update, and it brought tears to my eyes! Disney music always does that to me, especially when it reminds me of what a great time DS was having!

Bonnet Creek is so nice. What a nice big unit with a great view. Too bad about the dishwasher, but you definitely took it in stride.

Your dad is so cute - worried about running out of food.

That parade is so cute. I really love it and my timing is always off so I rarely see it.

Hmmmm - Can't even remember what we did on the 21st, but I know we went to HS for dinner. Good thing I took a lot of pictures to jog my memory. :rotfl:

The dishwasher situation was a real pain, but as long as I didn't have to move, I was fine with it! Now, unless they had said they could move us to a fireworks view, then I could have been persuaded to repack everything! :rotfl:

We are the same way, we never see the afternoon parades at any park because we are usually taking our nap/break at that time. But this trip, we saw 2 of them! It's always so fun when you can go back to a place you have been so many times and still find something new to do.

Haha I try to take very good notes, but now with DS being more active, I would get behind during the day. Like you, DH luckily takes TONS of pics so I can usually retrace our steps through his photos. Did you start a TR for your October trip? I don't want to miss it!

Your WBC unit was decorated totally different from ours. We had orange chairs at the bar, a blue couch and different carpet.

I laughed at him avoiding the carousel ride "like an old girlfriend". DS did that the first trip every time we passed Dumbo. :lmao:

It seems like every time we go, we get a room with a different color scheme. Keeps it interesting, I guess! You might have mentioned it and I'm not remembering, do you recall which building you were in?

:rotfl: Luckily, that was the only one he seemed to really never want to see again!! Although after the drop on Pirates, he did have a little touch of anxiety in his voice every time he said the word "boat" as we were about to get in one! :lmao:

I could have sworn I posted after reading through your posts a few days ago - the PotC ride sounded so darn CUTE OMG. Lol! I mean, not cute that Paxton got so scared, but just the way he was acting with you, holding on and burying his face, just a sweet moment I think. :goodvibes

Anyway, your Bonnet Creek place looks really nice, and that is very sweet of them to open up a model to watch the fireworks! How were the sleeping arrangements if you don't mind me asking? where did Paxton sleep? How was the pack n play? I know you were unsure about using one again as he is so much bigger.

I could have sworn I posted after reading through your posts a few days ago - the PotC ride sounded so darn CUTE OMG. Lol! I mean, not cute that Paxton got so scared, but just the way he was acting with you, holding on and burying his face, just a sweet moment I think. :goodvibes

Anyway, your Bonnet Creek place looks really nice, and that is very sweet of them to open up a model to watch the fireworks! How were the sleeping arrangements if you don't mind me asking? where did Paxton sleep? How was the pack n play? I know you were unsure about using one again as he is so much bigger.

It was kind of cute, especially when he yelled Ouch! at the cannonballs! :rotfl:

Not at all! DH and I slept in the master bedroom with Paxton in the living room in the PnP. We would close the door to our room until we were ready to go to sleep and then open it so we could keep an ear out for him. My parents slept in the second bedroom the nights they were there, and then after they left, we put Paxton in there for the last couple of nights. And since they usually stayed in the parks when we went back for a nap, we would move the PnP in there for Paxton to nap during the day so we could use the living room and kitchen.

He still fit fine in the PnP so I'm glad we didn't shell out the money for a full size crib because we really didn't need it. He slept fine in there, which is no surprise considering how tired he was at the end of the night! He was sleeping so hard that he was not moving around as much as he usually does at home in his crib. In fact, we are taking a short trip to Tennessee in the spring and think we will probably just bring our PnP from home (since we are driving) and get one more trip out of it. Hopefully he doesn't grow too much in the next few months! We will definitely need a new plan for WDW next year though, either renting a toddler bed or seeing about putting rails on the extra bed.

The parade looks like fun. I honestly can't tell you when the last time was I watched a day time parade. We saw the tail end of one last year, but that's about it. We might have to make it more of a priority, especially if DS is into the characters at all.

I have to say that Abu is the creepiest looking character ever though... :lmao::rotfl::rotfl2:

I will make a mental note, no stickers on the skin.. just to be safe. :lmao: :thumbsup2

Bonnet Creek looks very nice. I love staying on Disney property, but a place like that wouldn't be bad at all.

And most importantly, I'm going to side with your dad. Yes, you might have bought too much food and some went unused, but you don't want to run out of food. :scared1: :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Haven't commented in a few days. Been busy. Hope your turkey day was fun.

Seeing the pictures of the parade all I thought was "Man, those characters must like it so much better than when they were stuck in those snow globes!" Do you remember that? The previous incarnation of the parade had all the characters baking in these plastic balls. Ugh! Smart move getting rid of those.

Outside of the Jammin' Jungle parade which I love, I'm otherwise not a big fan of the daytime Disney parades. We never wait for one, but will stop and watch if we happen to stumble upon it.

Your place @ Bonnet Creek seemed nice. Too bad about the dish washer. Seeing the pictures I couldn't help but think "Wow, I could never imagine having that much room at Disney!" since we always stay on-site. Though, come to think of it, I've never been there and thought "I wish we had a bigger room"...Neater room, yes, but not bigger. Having a kitchen area would be nice, though. I keep thinking what a different trip it must be, though, staying there.

Pete

You guys certainly had a full day! :goodvibes

Awesome that you were able to catch some of the parade! It looked like Paxton was really loving it, he is so cute in his little baseball hat!

I also love the look of your Bonnet Creek villa. Did you guys buy in at Bonnet creek, or at a different Wyndham property? Does it work on a point system like DVC or is it weeks based? I know you guys used the time share when you went to DL, so is it easy to trade out? Sorry for all the questions, but its always good to know your options. We've been talking about buying more DVC points at some point, but maybe we could consider bonnet creek instead? :idea:

The parade looks like fun. I honestly can't tell you when the last time was I watched a day time parade. We saw the tail end of one last year, but that's about it. We might have to make it more of a priority, especially if DS is into the characters at all.

I have to say that Abu is the creepiest looking character ever though... :lmao::rotfl::rotfl2:

I will make a mental note, no stickers on the skin.. just to be safe. :lmao: :thumbsup2

Bonnet Creek looks very nice. I love staying on Disney property, but a place like that wouldn't be bad at all.

And most importantly, I'm going to side with your dad. Yes, you might have bought too much food and some went unused, but you don't want to run out of food. :scared1: :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Yeah, if he likes the characters this time, definitely try to see the parades, they are characters galore!

I was so glad I wasn't there for the removal of those stickers. :scared1: If I can save another kid from screaming while having them ripped off, I have done my job!

Oh man, my dad was KILLING me with the food!!! :rotfl: At the end of their time with us as they were packing up for home, he saw those burritos in the freezer and asked if we wanted them to leave them for us to eat. Uh, NO, I told you not to buy them in the first place!!! It made us laugh though, for sure.

Haven't commented in a few days. Been busy. Hope your turkey day was fun.

Seeing the pictures of the parade all I thought was "Man, those characters must like it so much better than when they were stuck in those snow globes!" Do you remember that? The previous incarnation of the parade had all the characters baking in these plastic balls. Ugh! Smart move getting rid of those.

Outside of the Jammin' Jungle parade which I love, I'm otherwise not a big fan of the daytime Disney parades. We never wait for one, but will stop and watch if we happen to stumble upon it.

Your place @ Bonnet Creek seemed nice. Too bad about the dish washer. Seeing the pictures I couldn't help but think "Wow, I could never imagine having that much room at Disney!" since we always stay on-site. Though, come to think of it, I've never been there and thought "I wish we had a bigger room"...Neater room, yes, but not bigger. Having a kitchen area would be nice, though. I keep thinking what a different trip it must be, though, staying there.

Pete

Our Thanksgiving was wonderful! I hope yours was too. :goodvibes

Now that you mention it, I do remember pictures of the characters in the snow globes during the parade, although I don't remember actually watching the parade back then either. I would imagine they would love the freedom of moving around too in addition to not being stuck in a plastic oven! Hopefully they were blasting AC in those things!!

Before, I was like that too, I couldn't imagine needing or wanting so much space while at Disney or anywhere, mostly because I didn't realize things like Bonnet Creek existed! Now that we have done Disney and other destinations this way so many times, it is SO hard to be crammed into a regular hotel room. I will do anything I can to avoid it!

You guys certainly had a full day! :goodvibes

Awesome that you were able to catch some of the parade! It looked like Paxton was really loving it, he is so cute in his little baseball hat!

I also love the look of your Bonnet Creek villa. Did you guys buy in at Bonnet creek, or at a different Wyndham property? Does it work on a point system like DVC or is it weeks based? I know you guys used the time share when you went to DL, so is it easy to trade out? Sorry for all the questions, but its always good to know your options. We've been talking about buying more DVC points at some point, but maybe we could consider bonnet creek instead? :idea:

Oh yes, one of our busier park days, that's for sure!! The parade was awesome, now that we have Paxton to enjoy it with. :goodvibes My parents got him that hat when they went to WDW in May and he never wanted to wear it for the longest time, and then all of a sudden, he was all about hats! Now he puts that one and his winter hat on constantly!

When we were on our honeymoon, we bought an every-other-year contract at BC because it was on the cheaper end. When we went to Las Vegas, we did the owners update and found out Wyndham was supposed to contact us about purchasing the other half of our contract, making it full year instead of every other year, and never did, so that half had been sold off. In order to own a full year contract, we had to switch home resorts. So now instead of BC, our home resort is in San Francisco (we have not even been there yet!). It works on a points system. You get so many per year to use however and wherever you want. We have done 3 or 4 night stays, we have done a week+, we have even done a single night stay! Some places that are more popular might require you to stay 2 or more nights, but otherwise it is very flexible how you use your points.

For example, in 2013 we are planning on 5 nights in Tennessee in April and 7-9 nights in Disney World in the fall. In 2014, we are just doing a short beach vacation for a few nights, and then our big vacation is our Adventures by Disney trip to Italy, so we won't be using a lot of our points that year. So instead, for our 2013 trips we are going to splurge a little and borrow points from 2014 to stay in bigger units for more nights. Does that make sense? There are Wyndham properties all over that we have used our points for (Washington D.C., Honolulu, Las Vegas, Anaheim, Smoky Mountains, and Panama City Beach). The benefit of buying into Wyndham at the resort you think you will visit more frequently is that you have access to booking there earlier than those who own at different resorts. So I think since ours is in San Francisco, we could book there a full year out instead of 10 months out for people who own elsewhere.

Look around on the internet about Wyndham, you can buy it resale for dirt cheap. Our one big mistake was buying directly from them! But now we know better, so when we are at the point where we need more points every year for our trips, we know to buy resale instead of through Wyndham.

Stupid iPad app. I'm all caught up! Love the pics from the parade. Those are always fun. How did Paxton do in the Tiki Room? Im wondering if I should attempt to take Alex in there since the end seems a little scary for a toddler. I'm glad you got your new room (looks nice) and your parents arrived safely. I must have forgotten they were joining you on this trip :)

Stupid iPad app. I'm all caught up! Love the pics from the parade. Those are always fun. How did Paxton do in the Tiki Room? Im wondering if I should attempt to take Alex in there since the end seems a little scary for a toddler. I'm glad you got your new room (looks nice) and your parents arrived safely. I must have forgotten they were joining you on this trip :)

He was great in the Tiki Room! Not scared of it, and never has been over 3 trips of taking him in. This time, he was actually a little dazed, just kind of looking around. I think he was just too hot & tired to really get into the show like he has in the past.

Yeah, their time got cut short because of the drama at their house after the flooding, but it was so great that they were able to come! I know they really cherished making those memories with Paxton in the parks. :goodvibes

Great updates!

I didnt know you could bring a folded stroller on the train, so that is definately valuable info for our upcoming trip :thumbsup2

Great pics of the parade.

I am glad to hear you were able to find out what was causing the problems for little Paxton. Must be such a relief.

Poor Paxton..allergic to cats but at least you now know why he was getting sick.

Trains...what is it with toddlers and trains..
devyn is obsessed but that makes up for pirates and the horses

I love the 3pm parade at MK. The first time i saw it last may the fairy godmother wished my a happy birthday from the float and i was obssesed with the princess and the frog so i was yelling at her like a little kid. When we went to meet her later on, she remebered me. She asked if i was the girl yelling in frontierland! Love her!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter