Should we stay at a Disney world resort a night before our cruise?

DisneyDad1736

Mouseketeer
Does Disney still do DCL shuttles from wdw resorts to port canaveral? If so, what resorts? We are going to arrive a day before our cruise and stay a night at a hotel, then the next morning head over to PC. Any other suggestions are helpful, thanks!

Edit: looks like staying at the Hyatt Mco the night before is the best option

Last edited:
We have always stayed at the port the night before. One cruise we did stay 1 night at OKW - my daughter was in the College Program and was coming on the cruise with us. It is an easy and doable ride from Disney.

I don't remember Disney having busses to the resorts from the port - yes, to airport. If you don't have a car and don't want to rent one, Hyatt at the airport would be the best option and take the bus from there.

Have fun!

Does Disney still do DCL shuttles from wdw resorts to port canaveral? If so, what resorts? We are going to arrive a day before our cruise and stay a night at a hotel, then the next morning head over to PC. Any other suggestions are helpful, thanks!

Edit: looks like staying at the Hyatt Mco the night before is the best option
All WDW resorts (except Shades of green I believe) can be used as a pre-cruise resort. They will route a bus to them if needed. Whether this is a good option depends on many factors, like at what time will you be flying in, what do you plan on doing with your day and do you have some emotional attachment to WDW or a resort.

We often stayed pre-cruise at WDW, but we were flying in the morning and checking in around 10. We then went to Disney Springs or a park that offered extra Magic hours. We also have stayed at the Hyatt, arriving at the same time, but then we went to Universal and Sea World, using Lyft.

For us, if you’re arriving so late that going to a park is not worth it, there is no point in staying at a resort hotel. You’ll need to ride a bus 45 minutes (not free anymore) in the wrong direction and pay as much as the Hyatt is asking. In terms of convenience, nothing beats getting off the plane and getting in your room 10 minutes later. The Hyatt restaurant, McCoy’s, is excellent and the breakfast buffet is also very good (kids pay their age…). The pool is very nice. They can then grab your bags from the room on the morning of the cruise and you get them back at your stateroom onboard.

We’ve stayed a few times at the Residence Inn in PC, but that also involves adding at least an hour of transport right after your flight, and there’s not a lot to do at PC if you don’t have a car. We stopped using that option many years ago after finding out how convenient the Hyatt is.

Concerning the price of the Hyatt, you should compare the price they ask online (we find booking directly from the Hyatt site is always the cheapest option compared to Trivago/Expedia…) to what DCL is asking. Hyatt does price surges and deals, depending on occupancy, while DCL always asks the same flat rate. On popular days, it will be the cheapest way to book, and the limits they impose - only one night, no choice of room - are worth it unless you are very peculiar about what type of room you want.

We usually arrive on the day of the cruise but if I were to arrive a day before and hotel prices were reasonable, I would stay as close to the Port as possible.

Staying at a WDW hotel will cost more time and money than staying near the airport or the port. Despite that, we have done it a few times. When Magical Express provided “free” transportation for WDW guests, we took a private car service in the morning to the port.

Now that transportation to WDW has a cost, we have begun renting a car, which for 3 or 4 people, is less expensive than using Disney transportation to the port.

As mentioned, there is not much to do for a few hours in the evening near the port. If you want to go to a Disney restaurant or to Disney Springs, you could rent a car, drive to WDW, then drive to a hotel by the port. If you want to stay at WDW, you could drive to the port in the morning.

We have had early flights, so we have stayed at a WDW hotel, the Polynesian specifically, before the cruise. That resort allows us to just relax there, without tickets to any of the parks and do a bit of resort hopping between the Poly, Contemporary and the Floridian. We then took DCL transport to the cruise the next day. Worked out quite well and it is a great start to your vacation.

We have also stayed right at the airport, at the Hyatt, due to the flight arriving in the evening. We took DCL transport that morning-easy peasy. I booked the Hyatt on my own and watched for specials.

We mostly tend to arrive in Orlando the day before, mid day, and rent a car and drive to the port. Spend the night right there. The beaches are beautiful, there is Ron Jons to explore. We love the Cocoa Beach area.

When we sailed out of PC, we stayed at a hotel near Orlando Airport (MCO) the night before and took the hotel's airport shuttle back to MCO in the morning. From there, we caught the DCL bus from the airport to the port.

Not as atmospheric, but less expensive too.

I really loved staying at the MCO Hyatt. Because there are a lot of shops and food options before security, it's sort of like staying in a little mall. Nice pool. And I second that McCoys is a great place to eat. Try the crawfish chowder! And it's so slick they way they pick up your bags from your room and you don't see them until they are outside your cabin on the ship. And if you sign up for the DCL transportation, it's all set up in the Lobby. Also, there is a microwave by the ice machines - and a fridge in your room (in the hotel).

We are going to arrive a day before our cruise and stay a night at a hotel, then the next morning head over to PC.
What time are you arriving in Orlando? If early in the day, I’d be more likely to head to WDW even if just to do Disney Spirings and hang at the resort. The pools have kids activities in the afternoon. There are DCL Transfers from all onsite WDW resorts, same cost as from the airport. You would need transportation from the airport to resort.

If arriving late afternoon I’d stay at the MCO Hyatt and take DCL transfers from the lobby. There may be less expensive hotels near the airport as well with free shuttles to/from the airport, but DCL transfers the next morning would be from the airport location.

Disney charges by the person for transportation from their resorts or the airport Hyatt to the port; it's reasonable for two, about whatever for three, and increasingly expensive for groups of four or more. As for whether to stay at a Disney World resort, it comes down to whether you are going to take advantage of Disney amenities to offset Disney's higher hotel (and possibly transportation) costs. It's a judgement call.

Being a DVC member, I find it best to fly in and stay at least a day before the cruise at any of the DVC properties. You don't even have to visit WDW and shuttle over to visit Disney Springs like lanejudy suggested and enjoy it as a warmup to your cruise. I've done both the Disney shuttle (2 people) from the resort to the port and for a larger party (8 people) I've used Ace Luxury. Also, with some of these flight cancellations and who knows what can happen. At least a day buffer can hopefully help you make any late changes to make it still for the cruise. You could also stay at one of the local PC hotels the night before and shuttle over the day of the cruise.

We were originally flying in Saturday - the day of embarkation on the Fantasy NY cruise. Then the Southwest fiasco started so we decided to go down a day early. We had a great time - went to WDW and stayed at the Dolphin. We did not do any parks but played around the Boardwalk area and took the gondolas as far as we could. The next day, we went to the Boardwalk and were on our way by 8:30. It was $39 pp. I would do it again this way. Have a great cruise!

We've stayed either at an airport hotel or at a DVC resort. We always fly down at least a day early as we almost missed our first cruise due to weather related flight cancellations. Before we joined DVC, we'd stay near the airport, then take the Disney shuttle from the airport to PC. After we joined DVC (assuming we aren't visiting the parks before the cruise) we stay 2 nights at one of the resorts, usually going to Disney Springs and/or hanging out at the pool. Over the years to get to/from the port we've used the Disney shuttle, rental car, private transfer service, and more lately just taken Lyft/Uber. The only time we've stayed near the port was in Barcelona.

If you're not DVC or visiting the parks, I suggest just staying near the airport.

I would stay next to port personally. It eliminates any possible headache in the morning regarding the long drive to get to port.

Plus now you got all the unfun travel out of the way the day before and on the cruise day you can wake up later if you want, slowly get ready, and simply catch a ride to port that will only be 5-10 mins away.

Disney charges by the person for transportation from their resorts or the airport Hyatt to the port; it's reasonable for two, about whatever for three, and increasingly expensive for groups of four or more. As for whether to stay at a Disney World resort, it comes down to whether you are going to take advantage of Disney amenities to offset Disney's higher hotel (and possibly transportation) costs. It's a judgement call.
I just wanted to second this. We are staying at the Hyatt, as our flight gets in very late the night before our cruise, but the next-day Disney transportation to the port gave us sticker shock. It's over $300 for our family of four to have round-trip shuttle service between Hyatt MCO and the port. Yowza!

Stay at the Hyatt Regency airport and take DCL ground transportation to Port Canaveral. Let them know at the check in desk that you are using DCL ground transfers the next morning and they will give you instructions. It is easy and convenient. Have a Magical Cruise!

I just wanted to second this. We are staying at the Hyatt, as our flight gets in very late the night before our cruise, but the next-day Disney transportation to the port gave us sticker shock. It's over $300 for our family of four to have round-trip shuttle service between Hyatt MCO and the port. Yowza!

In July my family of 4 adults took a Lyft to the port and then back to the airport for about $80 each way.

No. Too expensive, and an extra 1/2 hour away from Port compared to MCO and the multiple hotel choices just north.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter